Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Well, as if I really needed it, I bought ANOTHER car today... not planned, but my "step sister" so to speak is moving to Texas tomorrow (flying) to move in with her boyfriend and she sold me her car for $200 and it runs and drives! She needed the money and didnt have time to sell it herself, so I get a good deal... well, I think its a good deal?

Its not a show car or anything special, but its a 1990 Buick Century Custom sedan. It has around 98K miles on it. It belonged to her ex BFs late grandfather who bought it new. Body is good, nice paint, no rust, no dents, nice interior (headliner was removed however). Quirks are its in bad need of an exhaust system, driver power window will not work and the ignition switch is a toggle switch, because a couple of years ago the ignition switch shorted out and instead of replacing the switch (which they should have done), they put in a toggle type unit that shuts on-off the cars power and another switch engages the starter. It has the 3.3L V6, which I understand is a good engine. I may or may not repair this... and I may or may not keep it. I was thinking of reselling for a profit (I think I can get $1000 for it, since it has a perfect body and drivetrain), but I could also use it as a work car instead of my moms Olds when I give her my Mercedes. Have some decisions to make for sure. I will get it cleaned up and take some pics.

Here are some from October...

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 02-19-2010 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
You STOLE that bugger, Tennessee . . .

Fix it up and keep it. Buicks of that era were tough and, with a little TLC, should go another 100k miles with ease.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:46 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
While I only have one car, you must own a thousand of them LOL! Yes, this car is worth way more than $200 so you got a great deal on it. However, is this the car you were referring to earlier that has not had its oil changed for the last 30,000 miles? I hope it isn't, but I clearly remember you talking about a buick century in this situation.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM

Thanks. Yeah, this was an old mans car from 1990-2007. He bought it new and passed away in 2007. It set in the garage until late 2008 when my step sister and her BF got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
You STOLE that bugger, Tennessee . . .

Fix it up and keep it. Buicks of that era were tough and, with a little TLC, should go another 100k miles with ease.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
While I only have one car, you must own a thousand of them LOL! Yes, this car is worth way more than $200 so you got a great deal on it. However, is this the car you were referring to earlier that has not had its oil changed for the last 30,000 miles? I hope it isn't, but I clearly remember you talking about a buick century in this situation.
LOL... yeah I am up to 5 now. Yeah, I had mentioned another awhile back... thats not the same car or same gal. That was a friend of mine. That was a maroon one, but it was a Century. Good memory.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
LOL... yeah I am up to 5 now. Yeah, I had mentioned another awhile back... thats not the same car or same gal. That was a friend of mine. That was a maroon one, but it was a Century. Good memory.
That is good to hear. Yeah, if you clean it up you will easily be able to sell it for a $1,000. Otherwise, those are nice. They are not too big and have good power with the V6. I was actually considering one myself not too long ago.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Yeah... I just have to figure out what to do. I can resell or use it as a work car. I had originally planned on using my moms 97 Olds Achieva as a work car when I gave her my Mercedes, but now I may use this car. Its larger and more comfortable I am sure. I have never even ridden in it. The Caprice will be my days off car. If I sold the Century, I would use the Olds as a work car and use the Century profit to get the Caprice back to showroom new condition.

Quote:
Quote:
That is good to hear. Yeah, if you clean it up you will easily be able to sell it for a $1,000. Otherwise, those are nice. They are not too big and have good power with the V6. I was actually considering one myself not too long ago.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Wow, $200 for a clean vehicle with only 98K. I'd say you made out pretty good!

The 3.3L is a debored 3800, but unlike the 3800 (which is largely indestructible) I have heard the 3.3L can have problems with the fuel injectors and ECM. Considering the price you paid, I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,579,439 times
Mwahahahaha!!!!

You were looking for "A car" for a time and now you're going to open up a car lot j/k.

Nice looking car from the outside from the limited photos and lighting, but who would be picky for $200.00 anyway?

That was a steal of a deal, it won't take too much $$$ to whip her into shape either. Just the window can be a mystery as it could be the switch, wires or I would guess most likely it's the motor - again just a guess.

However, the proceeds can help you with the Caprice.

You have decisions to make, I would just "take a step back" and think this one out.

Maybe LVD will buy it - lol!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah... I just have to figure out what to do. I can resell or use it as a work car. I had originally planned on using my moms 97 Olds Achieva as a work car when I gave her my Mercedes, but now I may use this car. Its larger and more comfortable I am sure. I have never even ridden in it. The Caprice will be my days off car. If I sold the Century, I would use the Olds as a work car and use the Century profit to get the Caprice back to showroom new condition.
Just my personal advice, the Century is a much nicer car to drive than the Achieva. I would sell the Achieva and use the Century as the work car myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC