Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times

Advertisements

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Eco on Yahoo! Autos – Pictures, News (http://autos.yahoo.com/auto-shows/new_york_auto_show_2010/1389/2011-Chevrolet-Cruze-Eco - broken link)

I might be checking these out when they finally come out. The ole Focus we use as a commuter is getting tired and this looks like a good replacement.

Anybody else looking forward to the deput of the Cruze?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Nope

Old 04-06-2010, 04:39 PM

211 posts, read 640,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Nope
Haha. Ditto.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
The Cruze is probably going to be another GM disappointment. First year reliability is bound to be horrible. Hate to be so negative, but that's how it is.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:48 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
40 MPG? That's it?

Even GM's 30 years old subcompacts got that much with auto trannies.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:11 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
40 MPG? That's it?

Even GM's 30 years old subcompacts got that much with auto trannies.
Which makes this even more impressive. The Cruze will be larger than a Cobalt, slotting somewhere between a compact and a midsize. The Cruze weighs more than a tinny 1980's Chevette or Nova while producing much more power. The thing people forget are that those 1980's cars had no sound deadening or safety features that added all sorts of extra weight, so they could get great MPG.

Toyota has nothing that will compete, and Honda's only competitor with this will be the Civic Hybrid. The jury is out on Ford and what they will achieve with the 2012 Focus for MPG.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:35 PM

211 posts, read 640,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Toyota has nothing that will compete, and Honda's only competitor with this will be the Civic Hybrid. The jury is out on Ford and what they will achieve with the 2012 Focus for MPG.
Most modern safety equipment is merely a crutch which emboldens inattentive vehicle operators with a false sense of security behind the wheel. It adds weight, system complexity, and price, while retarding the true advances in power and economy of the vehicle. Put that modern Cruze engine into a Chevette and watch it crank out better than 60mpg.

Or, just find a way to import a new Ford Fiesta diesel from Europe. They're already on sale and getting upwards of 60mpg. It's just an idea. I'm going to stick to my paid off Mitsubishis and enjoy saving hundreds of dollars a month over people who buy new cars for improved fuel economy.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
Most modern safety equipment is merely a crutch which emboldens inattentive vehicle operators with a false sense of security behind the wheel. It adds weight, system complexity, and price, while retarding the true advances in power and economy of the vehicle. Put that modern Cruze engine into a Chevette and watch it crank out better than 60mpg.

Or, just find a way to import a new Ford Fiesta diesel from Europe. They're already on sale and getting upwards of 60mpg. It's just an idea. I'm going to stick to my paid off Mitsubishis and enjoy saving hundreds of dollars a month over people who buy new cars for improved fuel economy.
agreed even though both my car and truck use an old school push rod EFI V-8 it is still better than making $500 doller a month car payments I busted my ass to pay off my GMAC loan but it was worth it and my car still put a smile on my face when I take her for a rip

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
The Cruze is probably going to be another GM disappointment. First year reliability is bound to be horrible. Hate to be so negative, but that's how it is.
Which vehicles did GM put out that were disappointments?

Are you speaking of any vehicles from this decade or are you talking about like a fifth generation Nova?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:23 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,652,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post

Exactly. If the Cruze is supposed to be impressive, it ought to get 60-80MPG. I mean, the Chevette had .2 more liters and a power-sapping TH200 yet the MPGs are the same. Come on, GM.

If you could find a 1980s diesel subcompact that was originally sold in the USA, you can get upwards to 60MPG still.

It would appear that the 1973 oil crisis and the 1979 takeover was more effective at lighting fires under the automakers' asses than the 2008 $4/gal gas did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC