Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 15,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
NIU == Northern Illinois University, located in Dekalb, IL Directions & Campus Maps

NU == Northwestern University in Evanston Campus Maps - Northwestern University

One is very convenient for folks to live in Evanston. Neither is partcularly easy a commute from Oak Park, probably an hour from NU -- https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=N...=ls&z=11&via=1

Additionally there are pockets of rather undesirable housing options in Oak Park and the OP specifically asked for the safest options for their family...
Thank you for clarifying that for others Chet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanotech View Post
1001 Emerson St. (from that section 8 link) is basically across the street from where I'm thinking about getting housing. But that's just for disabled people so I don't think that area would be that bad, right?

Google Maps street view shows a little store front next to that building that has a single car in the parking lot (which is banged up), a large poster of a bikini-clad woman in the window of the shop, and a little girl who seems to be jumping on a puddle of water or something awfully close to the street while two adults (parents/grandparents?) are watching from behind.

Additionally, from other Kellogg students, I've learned that Foster St. from Ridge to Kellogg (NU) is not that well lighted at night and even during the day time it's pretty well shaded with trees and that EL train.

Looks like Chicago Ave. would be much safer....something like Evanston Place, but that's going to be about $1,000 more per month after all is said and done.

I'm planning on visiting within the next two weeks, but can't really get much info from one visit...although better than a Google StreetView for sure.
Seriously, I don't see safety as a big problem in that area. You are talking around Emerson and Maple, right? No idea what storefront you are seeing. Why would being shaded be a problem? Will you be walking back really late at night?

You could try on Sherman Avenue (closer to where you want to walk anyway).

Evanston Place is right in the heart of downtown, so it will be more expensive, but also probably a bit nicer.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM

Yes corner of Maple & Emerson. I will probably be walking back very late at night very often. But I'm not really too worried about myself, I'm already used to walking/driving super-late at night in somewhat risky places. I'm more worried for my wife/children. They will often visit me on campus and I want to make sure their walk back is safe. But I'm probably over-reacting here, I just need to visit and get a feel of the place I guess.

Sherman Ave has some options, but the apartments are extremely old/dingy yet still somewhat pricey (I suppose because for the proximity to NU).

Evanston Place is the next best place, even more expensive than Sherman Ave, but at least you do get a much nicer place.

On the preschool front, Cherry does sound good the more I think about it. Wonder if having the older kids in the multi-age class (some will be 50% older than him, 1.5yrs older) will make my kid feel inferior/slow/not-able-to-get-it or if it will help him learn more from them since they know more than a 3yr old would. Probably a bit of both, but wonder if it may be more one aspect than the other.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
On the preschool front, Cherry does sound good the more I think about it. Wonder if having the older kids in the multi-age class (some will be 50% older than him, 1.5yrs older) will make my kid feel inferior/slow/not-able-to-get-it or if it will help him learn more from them since they know more than a 3yr old would. Probably a bit of both, but wonder if it may be more one aspect than the other.
You are over thinking the preschool multi-age thing. Seriously, since the emphasis is NOT on academics, but on play based learning, both older and younger children have something to contribute. He will not feel inferior unless you try to make him keep up in some way. Kids at that age have a range of knowledge and abilities and some 3 year olds know more than some 5 year olds.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Has anybody heard about the new Bright Horizons preschool that's opening up in Evanston on Orrington Ave?

They're supposedly having a parent orientation day today so parents can get to know the school and what the school has to offer. I think the school opens on Sept. 1st.

I already called but had to leave a message.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM

9 posts, read 26,655 times
Default catholic schools in Evanston?

This thread has been helpful as we may move to Evanston from the east coast in a few months (or Norwood Park area). It'll be central to my hubby's family, work up north and want to be able to zip downtown easily.

Can anyone offer a comparison/contrast of the two catholic grade schools in the area (St. A's vs Pope John 23rd)?? The location and demographics are very different, obviously, and I'm impressed with the test scores from PJ23, but I'd like to know more than what demographics/stats/scores can say.

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Has anybody heard about the new Bright Horizons preschool that's opening up in Evanston on Orrington Ave?

They're supposedly having a parent orientation day today so parents can get to know the school and what the school has to offer. I think the school opens on Sept. 1st.

I already called but had to leave a message.
Bright Horizons is a chain and it is a daycare not just a preschool. if you need the extended hours, it might be a good choice. If you are looking only for preschool hours, I would choose one of the many local preschools for myself. Evanston has LOTS of good options.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrhubart View Post
This thread has been helpful as we may move to Evanston from the east coast in a few months (or Norwood Park area). It'll be central to my hubby's family, work up north and want to be able to zip downtown easily.

Can anyone offer a comparison/contrast of the two catholic grade schools in the area (St. A's vs Pope John 23rd)?? The location and demographics are very different, obviously, and I'm impressed with the test scores from PJ23, but I'd like to know more than what demographics/stats/scores can say.

Thanks.
I lived near St. A's and it seemed fairly upscale as opposed to Pope John. That doesn't mean much in terms of how good the school itself is though.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM

183 posts, read 338,903 times
PJ23 is a more economically and racially diverse school. I know families from Chicago who send their kids there, and came close to doing so myself. The school offers some "differentiation" opportunities for children working above grade level. There is an honors track starting in 6 or 7th grade. It is national "Blue Ribbon School" awarded for its overall high test scores. I know little about St A's, except that it also has a solid reputation, and is likely to have a more homogenous population given the neighborhood it is in.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrhubart View Post

Thanks.
I don't have kids; however, my cousin went to St. A's. His parents are VERY education-oriented and specifically moved near St. A's. My cousin must have gotten a good enough education as he went on to attend IMSA (the Illinois Math & Science Academy) for high school, then Northwestern, and now he's getting a PhD at Harvard. So, I figure St. A's gave him a solid enough start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs