Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,221 times

Advertisements

Well first off I think it's funny how this thread was about the repetitive 6 page threads that talk about Robbins and Harvey and now were on the topic of Naperville....lol.

That said the term cookie cutter gets thrown around all the time about Naperville. Plainfield, Oswego, Tinley Park, Orland and a million other burbs are all exactly the same, subdivision after subdivision and shopping mall after shopping mall yet they don't get that rep.

Naperville covers a pretty large area and is what over 150k people now. If you want a more established neighborhood, walkable neighborhood, mature trees, etc you can live near downtown. If you want a condo near transportation you got plenty near 59 and 88 or teh train station plus it has a good bar nightlife selection for younger people. It's not all soccer moms and white eagle pta meetings

Naperville isn't for everyone but it's not any more suburban than most other burbs unless your talking about more urban city feel burbs like evanston, oak park, oak lawn, which many people prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Soccer moms represent a cleavage free zone, and in today's society, that may raise some eyebrows.
Well, I guess I will have to unbutton my top buttons a bit more

Old 06-30-2010, 07:36 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
LOL.... Great post Nanannie once again...

Those soccer moms with their aerobically fit and academically competitive kids are just horrible.... Soccer Moms... I resent (or do I mean resemble?) the moniker...

p.s. Have we crossed paths at The Fieldhouse?
Could be. Seems its my second home. You may notice me now,after reading ImaloneJills above post I am the mom showing some cleavage

PS, but I dont live anywhere near Naperville

Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Living in a huge insular town
I was just trying to figure out what this meant relative to other places to live...mainly the "insular town" part.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:32 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
It seems like the suburbs that get the most negative attention from the "I hate picket fences and soccer moms" crowd are actually the ones that have somewhat more going on than most other suburbs. By this I am specifically thinking of Naperville, Schamburg, and Orland Park. If it truly is the monotonous subdivisions and lack of activity and walkable neighborhoods they hate, there are places that fit that bill a lot better (Hoffman Estates, Long Grove, Round Lake, Streamwood, etc.). If it is phoneyness they hate, there are places like Riverwoods and Kildeer that try to simulate life in the wilderness in the middle of an 8 Million person metro area. Yet, all these people choose to ***** about the few suburbs where you can actually find something to do on a Saturday night other than go to a movie and peak at closed shops. I live in the city, and enjoy living in the city, no plans to move. But, if I were to live in a suburb, Naperville would probably be one of the best choices.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I was just trying to figure out what this meant relative to other places to live...mainly the "insular town" part.
In this context, I meant it as a manner of thinking. A mindset of cohesiveness and homogeneity.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
By this I am specifically thinking of Naperville, Schamburg, and Orland Park.
I think this is because these are the suburbs that most often pop in to people's minds. If you live in Hoffman Estates, you probably go to Schaumburg to shop. Heck, people from the city go to Schaumburg to shop at least occasionally (Ikea?). But no one ever really thinks about Carol Stream because they have no reason to go there for anything.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:43 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think this is because these are the suburbs that most often pop in to people's minds. If you live in Hoffman Estates, you probably go to Schaumburg to shop. Heck, people from the city go to Schaumburg to shop at least occasionally (Ikea?). But no one ever really thinks about Carol Stream because they have no reason to go there for anything.
After thinking about it, I guess this does make sense. Sometimes I take for granted that those of us on this site pay attention to things around us, and develop a keen understanding of the places around us beyond the stereotypes and commonly repeated narratives. Almost everyone in Northern Illinois/ Southern Wisconsin knows where Schamburg is and a little bit about it (the Mall, Ikea, Medival Times, I-90), whereas only people who either live or work in NW suburbia know about Rolling Meadows, and even some of them have a complete and utter misunderstanding of it (I heard people in Buffalo Grove refer to it as "Rolling Ghettos" because they have mainly one story houses). I will still probably correct people when they rant about places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs