Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 04:04 PM

457 posts, read 978,647 times

Advertisements

I've read posts that indicated some cities have attracted one ethnic group. Waukegan having a Mexican demographic etc.. What are some of the McHenry County cities have have a high demographic of Hispanic, Asian or Middle Eastern residents? Also curious around Wheaton and Naperville areas. Here in So Cal, were a melting pot however Garden Grove & Westminster are mostly Vietnamese, Irvine mostly Persian and Santa Ana mostly Mexican. I reviewed some of the McHenry County stats and notice most cities are 97% White!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
I don't know about McHenry County but I would say Cook County is a Melting Pot, albeit a little segregated.

Ford Heights is a virtually all black suburb.

Last edited by urza216; 07-04-2010 at 04:56 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 04:27 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,751 times
naperville is probably like 75% white, maybe 15% asian, >5% black and >5% hispanic.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:45 PM

I noticed quite a few Middle Easterners in Napervile. Maybe tourist or from the college. I noticed because I just left Downers Grove on the same day. Notice many Middle Easterners in the Orland and Palos areas. Big difference since I lived in the Oak Lawn area (mid 80s). Just interesting how cities attract certain ethnic groups. Hope to hear from the McHenry areas. This is such a great public forum to share experiences with other visitors and residents.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:34 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
Wheaton is pretty much entirely white, except for a strong Vietnamese population in the crappy apartments on roosevelt near the glen ellyn border. Naperville is almost all white as well, with the indians having a strong presence there.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Cicero hands down.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:56 PM

342 posts, read 1,232,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Wheaton is pretty much entirely white, except for a strong Vietnamese population in the crappy apartments on roosevelt near the glen ellyn border. Naperville is almost all white as well, with the indians having a strong presence there.
naperville and wheaton aren't entirely white. the elementary school i went to in naperville is 38% white.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The stats that our gracious hosts provide here on city-data.com show that there're no such things as 'burbs in the region that are "entirely white"...

Affluent area like Oak Brook, to pick just one example from DuPage Co, has a large population of Asians, including those from India.

Hispanics too are widely distributed through out the region, with some fairly high percentages in some of the older industrial type areas like Waukegan, Aurora, Elgin, Jolielt et cetera.

McHenry Co. also has some heavily Hispanic areas, some what related to the migratory farm workers that still are needed for agricultural interests...

The sort of "cultural segregation" that does happen when there is mass emigration that went along with the Vietnamese is rather uncommon, as there have not been too many large efforts at reallocation in a long time. As mentioned above the concentration of Vietnamese is traceable to efforts of the churches in the area to connect their missionary work to migration. That is a little bit like the ethnic based migration that used to happen with folks from Europe. Remnants of that are still present in pockets from Elmwood Park, and other neighborhoods that stretch from their to the NW...

Old 07-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Hispanics too are widely distributed through out the region, with some fairly high percentages in some of the older industrial type areas like Waukegan, Aurora, Elgin, Jolielt et cetera.

McHenry Co. also has some heavily Hispanic areas, some what related to the migratory farm workers that still are needed for agricultural interests...

This is the great type of info I was seeking. Do we know which McHenry Co. burbs are highly Hispanic, Asian or Indian? Elgin is near McHenry which I've heard is highly Hispanic.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
A huge part of the southside is African-American, so its make sense why the south suburbs of Cook County attracted a huge amount of black people. Harvey is about 75% black, 13-17% Hispanic(99% are Mexican), 5% white(non hispanic), and 2% South Asian(around 600). The area circling around Halsted from 156th-161st St in Harvey is majority Mexican. Holmes elementary over there is 67% Hispanic. There is one block in Harvey that is 99% South Asian with an Islam center at the corner. I'm a little curious in what attracted the small Indian community to a poor majority black suburb such as Harvey since it is very unusual.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 07-04-2010 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs