Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 12,975 times

Advertisements

By "good" I mean someone who is responsive and listens to the client. Not "This 4 walled box is fit for human living. How about this?! Can I get rid of you now?" That is the impression I have gotten from the past several agents I have met. Not looking for a best friend, just a house that I need to live in and work from for a long time to come so it's a big deal.

I am looking to stay approx. within 20ish mi. of Naperville and am looking for a single family home with lots of space and mature trees that puts us far from neighbors, so I'm thinking Elburn, Sugar Grove, etc. This would be to help us buy a home, not sell (we'll do that ourselves). I don't want to waste someone's time and I don't want them to waste mine. I have encountered so many uninterested, unmotivated agents who are almost bothered by the Q&A of home selling. I do a lot of looking myself but could use some help.

Just 2 weeks ago we met with the seller's agent (we don't have our own) on a a promising prospect. I believe the excited tone and inflection of her voice was supposed to convince us that the 40 yr. old dated decor were big bonus features, despite my blank expression that it was not working. Never did ask us what we thought, she just plowed on. Well, she was working for them after all. I've worked with agents on the other side pulling the same stuff too, and tactics like that send me running. Instantly lose credibility that they listen to me, my needs, and are being honest.

I am not a monster - I swear!! I just want what I want. I'm a pussycat until we start playing games, then, game over!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 10:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I do not specialize in the areas that you mention, but I have to say that they do cover a LARGE area and without knowing a little more about your desired target price, needs for bedrooms, importance of schools, preferred neighborhood I too would probably be a bit reluctant to just devote myself to your needs...

It sounds like this would not be your first home, and in such cases I have to tell you that if you have not listed your home already I would be concerned that it may be quite a while before your could do a deal.

I have to tell you that when I would get a call from an unrepresented potential buyer on one of my listings I would quickly HOPE that this particular place is their DREAM HOME and I would do everything I could to assure them that making an offer as quickly as was practical was the smartest next step. If they did do so I generally assumed that they were "tire kickers" and, after giving them instructions on how to search for other properties that may have some of the features that they want, rarely would bend over backwards to hang on their every whim. The fact is that time spent with buyers that are relocating, have their house listed, are new buyers, or some one that comes to me with a list of four or five tightly clustered properties far more often results in sale than someone "just looking"...

Not being harsh, just trying to share the other side.

My advice: do some winnowing on your own, bring a list of five or even ten potential homes to a agent that you find through a recommendation, have the data on what you can afford based on both the pre qualification AND the competitive market analysis of your existing home. Good agents are not as scarce as you might think; they want good clients ...

Old 07-08-2010, 10:50 AM

5 posts, read 12,975 times
Hi Chet - thanks, I understand your points. Actually I want what you are talking about (I think!) Ideally I would like to supply my detailed requirements (I didn't detail out on this board) for an agent who could email me when all requirements come up in a hit however they come up for an agent.

I think what we are looking for would take some time because we have some specific needs AND have time. I would not want or expect someone to call all the time, check in, etc. in these circumstances. So if a potential house met, on paper, 100% of the criteria, pics looked decent, ariel view looked far from neighbors, I would THEN want to actually go see it. I would think that would make us not so bad to have as back-burner clients?? The issue I think would be not having any agent and just cold-calling on a house for sale that look like good prospects at point of need.

I suppose we're somewhat of tire kickers because we are not desperate to move but I don't want to be in this house another summer if we can help it. One way or another we're going to move. Anyway, if anyone is interested in what I'd consider "back burner" clients please send a message. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2010, 12:04 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Recommendations from friends / coworkers tend to be very helpful, as you know a little something about how the agent helped out some one else. That gives the agent in immeadiate incentive to try to find the right kind of property for you.

When you have very specific wants / needs most agents understand that such deals take longer, and if the sale of your existing house also has to be considered that adds complexity as well as potential conflict for some agents who prefer to have listings. There are some agents that recognize the value in representing buyers, and if the buyer is loyal to them that can work out too.

If you want to put out feelers to potential agents I can recommend looking through the local paper for open houses of properties that kinda sorta have some of the qualities that you want. A face-to-face meeting with an agent in an open house can be beneficial to both you and them, as both sides get a clearer understanding of timelines and expectations. To often a phone conservation will come at a time that either the agent or client is stressing out over peripheral issues, face to face the subtle enthusiasm and reluctance can help each side decide if they really are comfortable committing to moving forward...

Old 07-09-2010, 06:54 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I do know a few real estate agents in the sugar grove area. I will say, that I personally have not used them as agents because I have lived in my same house over 20 years. They are people I know personally. I could suggest Debbie Patterman with Kettley Realtors. Also, Lynn Sommers of Kettley Realtors. Kevin Geary of Advanced Realty Consultants, Cindy Ellis with ReMax, Edie Jahns with ReMax. Keith Dickerson with ReMax. All of the above have been a real estate a number of years. Most reside in Sugar Grove. I am not sure where Ms. Jahns lives, but I know it is in the area. Hope this helps. Also, Kathy Huml, who lives in elburn, but I don't recall which company she is with.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 PM

24 posts, read 115,729 times
sharonbus.com. She's the best.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM

179 posts, read 486,431 times
Consider giving Evelyn Santiago of Dynamic Real Estate Network a call. Her website is: Fox Valley and Chicago Real Estate for Sale. She is thorough and well-educated in the housing areas in which you are interested. Perhaps most importantly for your services, she listens ... and also realizes she is YOUR advocate and representative. I have worked with Evelyn on quite a few transactions and always found her prepared and pro-active in her approach. Something you definitely want in an agent in the current market. Best of luck and should you have further questions or need, please don't hesitate to write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs