Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 10,274 times

Advertisements

I'm considering renting a condo in the Olive Tree Condos on Bailey Road in Naperville. Does anyone know if that development is safe? Are there problems with crime or gangs? Thanks for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,869 times
Default Naperville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Hilt View Post
I'm considering renting a condo in the Olive Tree Condos on Bailey Road in Naperville. Does anyone know if that development is safe? Are there problems with crime or gangs? Thanks for your feedback!
I would not want to live there.

That said let's put it in context. The worst place in Naperville is probably better than the best place in many other burbs.

That's a strange area though. There's some really nice neighborhoods around there with houses and townhouses but Olive Tree and those other condos off of Kiowa street a little closer to Naper Blvd are dumps.

If you have kids I would say definately don't live there. If you dont you would probably be safe its more petty crime, maybe have your car broken into, etc.

I know the 711 there across the street was recently robbed. A few years back my buddy was driving down Bailey and stopped at a stop sign and a guy ran up to his car and stole his cell phone off his passenger seat while he was stopped. There was another incident about a year back where a guy was cleaning his gun and fired it through the wall of his apartment into a few other apartments.

It's not like its a super dangerous area but things go on there you wouldn't have to deal with in other places. Another story, I used to be a meter reader in Naperville and we used to hit those buildings before noone b/c generally many people were still sleeping. I once had a guy come out with a golf club b/c he thought I was turning off his electricicty.

You can find much better places for similar prices. There's lots of houses broken into several apartments downtown Naperville by the college campus. Theres some toher apartments near River Rd and Ogden that are totally safe and you can get a one bedroom for a little over $600. Check out craigslist and Naperville Sun.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:27 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,691,178 times
Is that the little complex right on the corner of Washington and Bailey, across from the 7-11? I live across the street, in Maplebrook. We don't like that section of Bailey because there is ALWAYS trash and litter along the street, left there by the rough-looking kids who stroll back and forth from that little strip mall and the bigger apartment complex on the other side of the river. That 7-11 was also held up at gunpoint earlier this year! Generally there are few problems in this area, though.

The smaller complex off Cape or Cove or whatever that street is ... that's a pretty place, and if you are further in and close to the river, it might be very pleasant. And there are a lot of apartments and townhomes off Redstart. I would move there and stay away from Bailey, all things being equal. The proximity to the river is very nice, I'll admit. We go walking down there all the time.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 9,980 times
My father, an elderly gentleman with some walking limitations lived in Olive Tree Condominiums for over 18 years and never had an issue with anyone who lived there or near there. The complex is quiet and he's never heard of a car or condo being broke into. The maintenance service is dependable and the buildings and grounds are well maintained. The units are fairly large and most have views of large wooded common areas. They have a nice clubhouse with workout room and a very nice pool and tennis courts. Laundry rooms in each building. Nice place for the money with a decent school district. Whenever you have high dencity housing, you can run into some issues but that is common wherever you go. This complex is a nice quiet place to live.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:47 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
Olive Tree appears to be a condo development. I am not familar with it but generally condo developments, even modest ones are better to live in than apartment complexes, especially those with modest prices. Many condo developments are now allowing renters because of the economy and people can't sell and they don't want more to go into foreclosure. From what I can see on the internet, it appears to be a condo complex with modestly or lowish priced units but it does not look like a dump.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,869 times
If I were going to live in any condos around this area I would choose the ones on Baily and Washington right on the river.

Olive Tree and also the ones off Kiowa street closer to Naper Blvd aren't terrible but aren't that nice. There definately is petty crime like car breakins. ALso, this complex several years ago had a program for kids to go to after school to keep them out of trouble and safe, definately more for the safety factor than for an activity so that tells you something about the condos. You often see just sketchy looking people walking around the area.

Like I said before, I woudn't be concerned about safety living there but at the same time ther's better places to live for the price.

It's not really that cheap, just a quick google search showed units anywhere from 111k to 150k. Association is also pretty high $287 and you dont get much for it. Four Lakes in Lisle on the other hand is $260 and you get free boat rentals, free skiing in the winter, tennis courts, lakes, walking trails, free golf at the neighboring cours along with your water and trash. THere are better deals nearby on condos

My personal opinion is there's many other places I would buy for the money but if your going to be there long term may not be a terrible idea to buy but if you have to sell within the next 5years good luck wtih that. Even in a good market I can't see these cnodos being all that desirable.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,263 times
Hi, I am a single white female that has lived in the Olive Trees for the past 7 years. I have NEVER heard or seen any problems with crime/gangs (and I dated one of the cops)! Everyone who is giving you advise on here obviously has never been in the complex. I have really enjoyed living here and the neighbors are wonderful! My building is filled with great families starting out. As for the person who commented on never having kids living here...there are a ton of kids that live here! I would however stay away from the condos/apartments that are closer to Naper and Bailey. I hope this helps and only take advise from people who are actually living here.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 8,985 times
Looking to rent a condo on 218 East Bailey Road (Unit C) within the next week. Rent seems to be very cheap (includes utilities as well). But is it a good community/neighborhood? Appreciate any updates/reviews on olive tree condos.

Please help!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktech View Post
Hi, I am a single white female that has lived in the Olive Trees for the past 7 years. I have NEVER heard or seen any problems with crime/gangs (and I dated one of the cops)! Everyone who is giving you advise on here obviously has never been in the complex. I have really enjoyed living here and the neighbors are wonderful! My building is filled with great families starting out. As for the person who commented on never having kids living here...there are a ton of kids that live here! I would however stay away from the condos/apartments that are closer to Naper and Bailey. I hope this helps and only take advise from people who are actually living here.

I agree with you. I am a single female living in Olive Tree for about 2.5 years now, and I have never felt safer! All the othere people that live here are kind and soo helpful. There truely are tons of kids here! The apartments East of Olive Tree on Bailey are indeed a bit shady, but olive tree is great. The thing that sold me is the awesome dog accomidations they have. No size restrictions, they only ask that it not be a Pitt Bull And there is a great walking path just outside your door along with the Riverwalk path! I truely have NEVER felt unsafe or threatened and frankly have no intention of moving anytime soon!!! I love it and people shouldn't diss it, especially if they've never lived there!!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:52 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
I think people forget that not everyone has a high paying job and can afford a lavish house, condo or luxury apartment and they might need to live in more modest circumstances. That does not mean that these abodes are shady or a dump. They may be perfectly good for your purposes and means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs