Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been living in Alabama my whole life and am thinking of taking a job at the Brookfield zoo. I am not familiar with Illinois, I have never been there. Could anyone suggest a good town near the zoo? I am from a small town with woods and big yards and privacy and very low crime. Is there a town near Brookfield that would have any of that or do I need to give up on that dream? I realize that the cost of living will be more in Illinois than it is in Alabama but I would like a town that isn't too expensive. I do not have children so the school system is not that important when looking for a place. If anyone could please tell me some places to look into, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Why not Brookfield itself?

You could easily rent a place near the zoo, then while here scout out a bigger piece of property further out.

Brookfield Zoo has an excellent reputation and will make your resume shine...

Old 07-26-2010, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 10,434 times
Well you'll be in a Chicago suburb which will not be big yards, quiet, and lots of low crime. However Brookfield itself is a nice place. Stay near that area but it is a suburb and therefore will not be cheap. Chicago is expensive but a great city to live in or near and Brookfield Zoo is a really fun place.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:44 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
Well you'll be in a Chicago suburb which will not be big yards, quiet, and lots of low crime. However Brookfield itself is a nice place. Stay near that area but it is a suburb and therefore will not be cheap. Chicago is expensive but a great city to live in or near and Brookfield Zoo is a really fun place.
EXCUSE ME?! There are PLENTY of suburban areas that are relatively quiet to downright quiet and SAFE. Stop painting with such a broad brush. There are even suburbs with big yards!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You could easily rent a place near the zoo, then while here scout out a bigger piece of property further out.

Brookfield Zoo has an excellent reputation and will make your resume shine...
Thank you so much. I will definitely look into that!!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
You will be moving to an area of 11M people with traffic as bad as or worse than Atlanta. The zoo is awsome. You will find lots of things to explore and love about the City. The winters can be bitterly cold, but if you dress warm you will be fine. You will appreciate a car in a garage.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:36 AM

45 posts, read 175,221 times
I'd say Brookfield, it's nice

Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I have personally seen Brookfield Zoo employees riding the train to Downers Grove. Brookfield is a great zoo. The Dolphin show is among the best. They just opened up a bear exhibit. I plan to go soon, even though the kids are grown!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Are you planning to rent or buy? If you plan to buy something, pay attention to property taxes. Alabama has some of the lowest property taxes in the nation and this is a critical factor in the difference in cost of living, renting or owning.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:15 PM

34 posts, read 127,825 times
Definitely rent. I say that as a lifelong Illinoisan who was chased out by high property taxes three years ago and will never go back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs