Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 AM

22 posts, read 90,421 times

Advertisements

Thanks Purplesky for your inputs...Really appreciate it.
You mentioned that your kid goes to Campanelli..I heard it is the best public school in Schaumburg. I was going thru their website and they mentioned that they have a magnet program. Do you have any inputs on that? Also, do you know of any rental options which I could explore to have my kid in Campanelli?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times
I don't know if Campanelli is the best. If you were looking on Great Schools, those ratings change all the time. It's decent depending on the teachers. The math stinks, but almost every school in Chicagoland uses Everyday Math. I don't know about the magnet program. I think it starts in 3rd grade, but am not sure. I don't even know what curriculum they use.

The principal is better than the one prior. He tries to get the kids involved. My son went to Springfield last year and they also had a science fair. I like that he went in 3rd grade because he has an interest in history and likes watching documentaries, and to wait until 8th grade is a shame.

There are no apartments in the area. There is one condo subdivision called Weathersfield West which is on Schaumburg Rd, about 1 blk east of Springinsguth Rd. There are some older ranch homes for rent when I drive around. It's an older subdivision, mostly ranch homes with newer mcmansion homes being buiil. Here is a rental unit in the Weathersfireld West subdivsion:

1346 Forestdale Court, Schaumburg, IL, 60193 - MLS #07578676 - Rentals real estate - REALTOR.com®

I would look around other Schaumburg schools as well. Lincoln Prairie gets a lot of accolades(not sure why--don't know much about it) and is one of the schools that you can apply to go, you can read more about them on the sd54.org website. It is in Hoffman Estates.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Thanks Purplesky for the info..Will check out all the options you've given..

With some much of uncertainty around schools and their timings, I am inclined to live in Chicago for this year and not move to suburbs..I've been doing lot of research and haven't found a good/decent way for my kid to get accustomed to right away. The Montessori he goes to now is in downtown, couple of blocks away from my house, open until 6.30. My wife works in downtown too and she picks him up..We just don't have lot of kids who live in our apt, hence planning to move to the suburbs.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:18 PM

759 posts, read 3,144,836 times
I don't blame you, kindergarten is not a big deal anyway. It's only 2 1/2 hours. If you are staying downtown for your work, you might want to reconsider moving so far anyway. The commute will really take its toll on you.
There is a good website illinoisloop.org which explores education and schools in the Chicago area. There are some really good ones in the city.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:07 PM

We just decided to continue in downtown school for my kid this year....
Thanks everyone for the inputs.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:56 PM

36 posts, read 105,832 times
A very critical look at Schaumburg's public schools: Illinois Loop: Math, Town by Town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs