Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 64,066 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving from Florida to Illinois and the home we are leaving has an inground pool. We would like to find a home that has one but I was wondering if the weather up there would give you more than two or three months of swimming time? Does anyone have a pool that can help?

Thanks,

Madelyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
I do.We open it every year right before Mothers day.Close it about a week before Halloween,sometimes keep the hot tub going longer.Its worth it to us,we really enjoy it,but it sure is not Florida year round swimming(maybe you will appreciate it more?)Good luck with your move

Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 AM

14 posts, read 64,066 times
Wow, thank you for the feedback. That is a lot longer than I thought it might be. My kids are really down and out about moving away from their pool. I think once you have one it is hard to live without one.

Madelyn

Old 06-20-2007, 06:19 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Agree,and though I dont know much about the south suburbs,Alot of park districts,YMCAS etc have indoor pools so the kids will be able to keep swimming thru the winters

Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM

60 posts, read 347,915 times
Exclamation Swimming seasons can vary

Chicago's climate is very diverse depending on where you locate and can fluctuate drastically over 40 miles. For obvious reasons usually the further south you go in the metro area, the warmer the temperatures you will find. Also, keep in mind that Lake Michigan water temps hover in the mid to upper 30's until about May, so if the winds blow out of the north-east be prepared for major temperature drops unless you live about 60 miles inland.

Typically on the city's south side around the Joliet area we are able to start swimming about Mother's Day and it can last until about Oct. 15. Halloween however seems a bit of a stretch as temperatures usually are only in the mid 50's for a day time high by this point and your pool will have become filled with fallen leaves making swimming lets just say less than pleasant.

Areas to the north of the city or closer to the lake can expect later opening times more like Memorial Day or at least until the winds are not prodominantly blowing off the lake anymore. Winds usually swing around to the south and stay to the south more so after Memorial Day explaining why everything in Chicago opens on Memorial Day Weekend.

Here's a link so you can see how cold the lake actually is. Michigan Sea Grant Coastwatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs