Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:21 PM

44 posts, read 145,343 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
Are there any suburbs (that are safe) worth looking at where the taxes are at least somewhat reasonable? I'll define reasonable as $4k or less annually. I'm not seeing anything out there worth looking at - may have to look across the border in Northwest Indiana as it seems the average property tax there is considerably less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 04:51 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,275 times
Short answer is no, not any towns worth living in. Not unless you are talking townhouse or condo.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:23 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
Cook County has cheaper property taxes than the collar counties. Most of the lower tax rate suburbs are heavily industrial and not attractive to live in.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM

So am I correct in thinking that I should look at NWI for Chicago burbs to save on taxes? I can actually get into the city just as quick if not quicker on the South Shore train depending where in NWI I live. Thoughts?

Old 07-16-2010, 02:49 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Well it depends on how you look at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Cook County has cheaper property taxes than the collar counties. Most of the lower tax rate suburbs are heavily industrial and not attractive to live in.
The absolute value of services for the amount you remit to the tax collector is what matters to some people.

Several very nice suburbs have remarkably low taxes, both in terms of rates and potential tax bills. One example would be the portion of Oak Brook that is served by District 53. For folks that don't mind an older townhouse or smaller single family in a less than estate like setting they might pay only a few thousand annually. They'd have access to first rate schools, tremendous Park District, lovely library, large professional police force / fire department, et cetera. In fact the Village of Oak Brook itself prides itself on operating it's municipal functions solely on revenues from Oak Brook's share of sales tax...

If one purchases a smaller home in many communities where larger homes are the norm, one can enjoy tax bills a half or less than ones neighbors.

Illinois' low income tax might very well offset some if not all of the difference, though with housing costs having an inverse relationship to tax rates the fact is that. For both to low requires ab unusual combination and/ or crummy services...

Old 07-16-2010, 04:03 PM

2,659 posts, read 3,854,752 times
Own a very nice (albeit small) ranch home (3 Bd 2 BA) in a nice, quiet area of Arlington Hts. - Taxes $4100.

We don't use it, but people seem pleased with school district. The roads are plowed. There is a police presence to make one feel safe and the library is fantastic.

To me, $ for $, IL serves us better than WI did. Rates there were very high.

When we moved here 2 yrs ago, we were also told Cook County taxes are lower than surrounding counties.

I recommend considering more than just prop. taxes in your decision. Living in a crap area or having a long expensive commute to save a few $ per year seems like a poor decision.

Further you may want out someday and generally quality location has more effect on resale ability and price than a tax rate.

Good luck in your decision

Old 07-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Well, at least initially my wife and I won't have a commute as we will be working from home but someday down the road, one or both of us could work in the city. Knowing that, would you opt for Northwest Indiana knowing taxes are so much cheaper, houses are larger, more land comes with the property, etc AND you still have the train to get you into the city in 30-75 minutes depending where you live along the South Shore.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:50 AM

45 posts, read 175,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeman101 View Post
Well, at least initially my wife and I won't have a commute as we will be working from home but someday down the road, one or both of us could work in the city. Knowing that, would you opt for Northwest Indiana knowing taxes are so much cheaper, houses are larger, more land comes with the property, etc AND you still have the train to get you into the city in 30-75 minutes depending where you live along the South Shore.
I still would stick with a Chicago suburb, but that's just my opinion.. There are reasonable houses that you can take the metra to the city..

Old 07-17-2010, 08:43 AM

10 posts, read 41,540 times
Default Northern Chicago Suburbs

I've lived in the Libertyville / Mundelein / Vernon Hills area all my life (44 years) and it is an absolutely beautiful area to live in.

Numerous public transportation options into the city (train runs very regular schedules into and back from the city).

Very nice, quiet and safe communities. Your about 45 minutes driving time into the city as they just widened and finished the Interstate, about the same to the airport (ORD), about 20 minutes from Lake Michigan and about 20 - 30 minutes to the Wisconsin border.

The only thing with some of the areas is the property taxes 'can' be really high. We pay ~$10k a year in property taxes, but the schools are pretty good and safe, and there are other areas within these communities that have lower taxes that aren't in a bad area.

Libertyville has just about every car dealer you could imagine down at the one end, but the other end is very nicely done as a nice hometown community.

Mundelein is a little higher in property taxes, but you can still find some nice places that aren't that bad. More homes than businesses.

Vernon Hills has allot of business and shops as well as a fairly large size mall, but there are also nice places surrounding that aren't bad tax wise.

Overall I have always loved living in this area as you have everything you need here, still have some nice quiet areas, nice forest preserves etc...

Here is a quick link to the area:

independance grove libertyville illinois - Google Maps

Old 07-18-2010, 08:38 PM

69 posts, read 393,758 times
I hate to say it but there usually is a trade off.

For example, I moved to Orland Hills, which has about half the property taxes of the surrounding Tinley or Orland Park. This is a very small little suburb that capitalizes on a large shopping district to offset taxes.

However our water bills are insane... we pay about $140 a month in water bills and was told this would go up again soon. I think almost any area will have drawbacks. I find the best thing to do is ask the neighbors. They are usually pretty honest!

For example on a 250k home, I pay about 3k in property taxes.

Knat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs