Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:45 PM

27 posts, read 137,055 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I've read here that in Oak Park, one wants to be west of Ridgeland (avoiding Austin). Is everthing west of Ridgeland ok or are there any areas to avoid? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 04:27 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Everything west of Ridgeland is fine, For that matter the part east of Ridgeland isn't that bad; but those in the know still advise to generally stay west of Ridgeland to keep a comfortable cushion between yourself and the really bad part of Austin.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:13 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,884,332 times
In general, the further west you are in OP, the lower the risk of crime. Likewise, the further west, the higher the cost of housing (in general). Crime in OP is mostly property crime, thefts from unsecured garages and the like.

The village hall/police department is located east of Ridgeland, and I'd imagine the area around there is quite safe also.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:58 PM

Thanks you guys. Is it safe all the way down to the southern border of Oak Park (Roosevelt)?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,611,986 times
Yep, but again, the SE corner is a little more crime ridden.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:43 PM

thank you thank you!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,388,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofTheValley View Post
Hey folks, I've read here that in Oak Park, one wants to be west of Ridgeland (avoiding Austin). Is everthing west of Ridgeland ok or are there any areas to avoid? Thanks in advance!
I can't think of any bad parts of OP west of Ridgeland. It's all pretty nice. Of course, it ain't cheap. And the old "Ridgeland Line" argument is weaker than it once was because a lot of young professionals are moving east of it and houses are really being fixed up. But the part of Austin that borders Oak Park to the east isn't great, so if you're going to pay all that money and all those taxes, it may make sense to stay west of Ridgeland if possible. If you want to save money, look south in Berwyn. A lot of former Oak Parkers (myself included) have done that. You'll pay much less for a home and for property taxes and it's probably safer than the east side of OP.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
If you want to save money, look south in Berwyn. A lot of former Oak Parkers (myself included) have done that. You'll pay much less for a home and for property taxes and it's probably safer than the east side of OP.
Hey Bru67,
I wish we could afford to buy. We're still renters. I'm pretty sure I've read your positive posts about south Berwyn and have kept it in mind considering the proximity to the pink line (is that right?) which is convenient. Husband is starting medical school at Rush, so money is tight. Is there much in the way affordable rental property in south Berwyn? Perhaps it is a sign-in-the-window area since I've seen very few online apartment listings in the area.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,388,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofTheValley View Post
Hey Bru67,
I wish we could afford to buy. We're still renters. I'm pretty sure I've read your positive posts about south Berwyn and have kept it in mind considering the proximity to the pink line (is that right?) which is convenient. Husband is starting medical school at Rush, so money is tight. Is there much in the way affordable rental property in south Berwyn? Perhaps it is a sign-in-the-window area since I've seen very few online apartment listings in the area.
There's rental property in south Berwyn but a lot less of it than in north Berwyn. There are some nice apartment buildings along Stanley Ave. which you should check out. They are reasonably priced, and you'll be right on top of the three Metra stops (about 18 minutes to the Loop) -- not to mention the James Joyce Irish pub and the Olive or Twist martini bar .

The Pink Line is easily accessable from Berwyn though the best bet for that is to live right near Cermak Rd. It's like a 5 minute bus ride to the 54th/Cermak stop in Cicero (Pink and Blue lines). There's tons of vintage two and three flats in that area which are pretty cool (basically Chicago Bungalows stacked on top of each other). The total commute to Rush would be about 25 minutes, give or take.

Cermak just recently became an "Illinois Main Street" (the same thing they did with Madison St. in Forest Park). Sevilla's Tapas is at Cermak and East and was just featured on CLTV's Metromix. A very cool place. The old Berwyn National Bank building at Cermak and Oak Park is also set to be developed by the same team that restored the Rookery Building in Chicago. That too should add to the corridor.

You should visit both areas and see which one suits you best. In addition to seeing the "for rent" signs, you'll get the flavor. They are definitely very different. The Stanley Ave. area in south Berwyn feels more suburban and quiet, where Cermak feels more urban and lively -- not Logan Square Urban but more urban than south Berwyn or west Oak Park.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:22 AM

404 posts, read 705,480 times
Hello,

I live in Oak Park. The SE Corner. I've been here 35 years. I think the crime in this area is down. There was a big cleanup project at Barrie Park, and the area was fenced off for years. The clean up is done, many of the homeowners around the park fixed up there houses at ComEd's expense, and it's not so poor looking anymore.

As for the crime, I think the hot spot has shifted to the NE section. I say this because I read the police blotter in the Oak Leaves while looking for garage sales, and it seems most of the crimes are towards Austin and north of Lake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs