Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 PM
ypy ypy started this thread

1 posts, read 5,414 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have read a lot on the forums about the east side of Joliet being a bad place to live and the west side a better place. Is Joliet Community College on the east or west side in a good or bad area?:conf used:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
I got my associates degree from there.

The main campus is very far west. Actually, not too far from the campus is I-80 and farm country beyond that.

JJC does have a campus downtown, which I believe is the culinary institute. However, even that area is fine. You would have to go east of downtown a good bit to get to the real ghettos.

Contrary to what you may read, most of Joliet is not horrible, by any means. The real problems are isolated to pockets you would have no reason to visit anyhow.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 AM

81 posts, read 307,304 times
All campuses of JJC are in good neighborhoods, the main campus esp. !

Old 02-03-2011, 01:16 PM

179 posts, read 486,129 times
JJC is located on the far west side of Joliet. It's located right off I-80 and other main artery streets for easy access and driving. It's a safe and clean location. The culinary institute of the college is located directly downtown Joliet, which is easily driven to as well ... and safe. As noted above, there are a few areas of town that might be considered unsafe ... but no more than any other large town. JJC has a good reputation. There are businesses within an easy driving distance ... up and down Houbolt avenue and near by. The Joliet airport is located just down the street. Housing of all sorts is close by as well. Upon visiting the campus, I don't foresee you having a negative view of it.
Best of luck to you ... and if you have more questions about the area, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Joliet Junior College is basically on the edge of town, pracitally in the cornfields. You'll be just fine there. (The campus in fact has a nice nature preserve too).

Instead of thinking east side of Joliet = not good, west side = better, think of it more like old-town Joliet = not as good, new sprawling, dull outer part Joliet = better.

Essentially Joliet is like any other small rustbelt city of 100,000 or so like any other in Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan. With a small deteriorated inner core, and a largely whitebread suburban outer fringe. Joliet just happens to be close enough to Chicago, and therefore part of Chicagoland which means that

A: Property values would be higher than elsewhere,
B: The lower income, inner areas have a much larger Mexican population, whereas elsewhere it in the midwest would be primarily low-income Afr-American and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs