U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM

1,954 posts, read 5,012,369 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Naperville later this month and we would appreciate recommendations for a health club that has the following:

1) Large selection of cardio equipment and weights (both free and machines)
2) Indoor lap pool (outdoor pool for summer ideal but not required)
3) Classes, including spinning/cycling and yoga
4) Tennis courts would be nice, but not required
5) Daycare for kids (ideally fitness programs kids can attend while parents are exercising)
6) Sauna/steam
7) Budget - roughly $100-150 per month for family of three

Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 02:57 PM

25,906 posts, read 39,765,491 times
We work out at home, but I know there's a Planet Fitness on the north side of town and an Xtreme Fitness or something off 59 and 75th. There's another ginormous place on the north end ... Lifetime Fitness?

Where are you moving within Naperville? You don't want to drive all over town if you can help it.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 AM

12 posts, read 35,113 times
It depends where you end up in Naperville--the city encompasses a huge area. I used LifeTime Fitness for quite a while, but have switched to a club in downtown Chicago near my office. The LifeTime facility is very, very nice and has all the amenities you list, though it can get crowded on weekends. Note, though, that it's actually a Warrenville address.

There are quite a few new fitness clubs here, so I'd shop around a bit. With all the competition, you should be able to negotiate a good deal . . . don't accept the first price that they give you when you walk in the door.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 AM

1,954 posts, read 5,012,369 times
We'll be just south of downtown near Washington. I've also heard good things about Lifetime from the realtor we've used, so I'll check into that.

Does anyone know anything about the Edward Health & Fitness Center? It's very close to where we'll be living.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM

20,005 posts, read 73,178,506 times
Lifetime Fitness is probably your best bet. Or you could look into the new L.A. Fitness off of Naperville Rd near I-88.

Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM

12 posts, read 35,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post

Does anyone know anything about the Edward Health & Fitness Center? It's very close to where we'll be living.
It's small and has much more limited facilities than LifeTime. I found that the hours weren't that great--I can't tell you how many times I drove over there, only to find that it was closed late in the evening or over the weekend. The limited hours were the primary reason I switched to LifeTime.

Also, a lot of the people who use the Edward facility are Edward Hospital cardiac patients who are involved in cardiac rehab. We all get old, but it's not what I'd describe as a very high-energy facility.

If you are involved in cardiac rehab or some other fitness regimen as part of your recovery from an accident or illness, Edward might be a better choice. For most others, I'd say "not to much."

As long as you're close to downtown Naperville, I'd suggest checking out the YMCA. It's hardly leading edge, but has good facilities and is reasonably priced. There are a lot of programs for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs