Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 AM

55 posts, read 161,904 times

Advertisements

My husband and I found a great house that we really like in Wilmette, but it has a 3 foot back yard. Literally, it is a three foot sidewalk that divides the house from the neighbors fence next door. Now it does have a great side yard big enough for a swing set and a huge deck for entertaining.

We are from the city and couldn't care less about the back yard and I feel there are some quirks that we just have to accept when buying property in Wilmette, but what are your thoughts on resale? Anyone experienced in Wilmette properties have thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Did you see the thread about "good layout"???

The vast majority of suburban home buyers really prefer a lot that allows the house to be sited in a way that makes access / view of the back yard possible from kitchen and family room.

If the home you are considering does not have this, but offers other desirable features it might still make sense for you, so long as realize that this sort of problem is unlikely to be "remediable" short of buying the lot next to you and greatly expanding the home. Thus any discount you get will have to be made down the road when you choose to move.

All-in-all this might make sense, just go into it with your eyes open...

Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 AM

55 posts, read 161,904 times
Default thanks

Thanks so much Chet. I will check out the thread. Interesting that you point this out, as it is one of the main sticking points for not buying the house is that I can not see the backyard from my kitchen window.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM

358 posts, read 847,532 times
If you were/are able to fence in the side yard, that would certainly help. A good number of people would not even entertain the idea of having an open side yard. Enclosed would certainly make it more palatable.
I really enjoy a good goulash from time to time.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:57 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
...I really enjoy a good goulash from time to time.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 AM

114 posts, read 387,320 times
As a productive realtor in the area I would suggest you keep looking. The lack of a back yard and not being able to see the side yard from the kitchen will eliminate many future buyers when time to sell. My advice-keep looking. Additional inventory will be coming on after Labor Day.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
We bought our house in AH 13 years ago. It's a corner lot and the back yard out the kitchen is really a side yard. Large enough for a good size deck. The side yard is really a huge backyard and we could see the playset and about 1/4 of side yard from the eating area but not main kitchen area. We bought cheapest home in subdivision and generally have been happy. Biggest complaint is when we are on deck and neighbors are in back yard on their deck, it's too close. I wish we had more privacy and a "normal" back yard. Under similar circumstances I would buy this house again. But if I could use hindsight, I would have found a way to afford the extra $20-$25K needed to stay off the corner lot and have a "normal" back yard.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
I agree with Cubsoxfan and am very glad we have nice AH backyard as opposed to corner lot. The relatively small $ difference is not worth the "bargain."

From resale standpoint, no need to compromise right now with amount of inventory on market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs