Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 12,992 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am looking at taking a job that will require me to travel between the Wheeling, Northbrook and Buffalo Grove areas.

I was looking at living in Jefferson Park.
Being younger (24) I'd like to be somewhat close to the city and I could live by the Blue Line and be downtown in 20 minutes. (I chose the Blue Line because I like that it runs 24 hours, I don't know how much a cab would be late at night on the weekends if I wanted to take one out of the city to wherever it is that I will end up living).
Also, I want to live by the Kennedy Expy so I could jump right on.
Estimated time to the NW Burbs shows about 30 minutes on google maps, which I am taking with a grain of salt.

Anyone know of how long this commute would actually be? I would generally be leaving my place between 8 and 9am, and coming back sometime in the afternoon.. between 4 and 5.

Anyone have any ideas of other places that could give me access to downtown and have a somewhat tolerable commute to the NW burbs?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Jefferson Park is in the city.

The travel time from Jefferson Park to the Loop is more than 20 minutes. I believe it is closer to 30-35.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:36 PM

30-35 minutes would still work for me. How long do you think it is in terms of a commute to the NW Burbs everday? Is it doable in a reasonable amount of time? My current commute is about 30-40 minutes and I really don't mind it. When it starts getting up to an hour is when it really begins to get irritating, my fear is that the commute from Jefferson Park to the burbs is going to be an hour+, but im not really sure as I'm not that familiar with the area- all I hear is that 90, 94 and 294 are a nightmare.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:35 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
The commute to downtown from Jefferson Park on the El is about 30-35 minutes. If you go out in Bucktown and Wicker Park, it's half the distance and cabs are just as plentiful. I-90 (the Kennedy) is the worst highway in Chicago. Once you get past O'Hare going west and driving until O'Hare going east, the commute isn't that bad. It depends where in the NW burbs too. If you work in Wheeling and BG, you have to go on Route 53 from I-90 which as of late has been under construction, unless you take local roads like Arlington Heights Road. In the morning, expect 45 minutes or an hour. On the way home, anywhere from 45-75 minutes.

The commute to Northbrook is much easier. Probably 45 minutes each way tops, unless a problem on the highway or big event in the city. Also, if you are commuting to Northbrook, you can live in Lincoln Square which is closer to nightlife.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I'm starting to look at some palces in the Lincoln Square area. I'm also considering Evanston. I hear conflicting things on the commute from Evanston to the NW burbs- some say its doable, others say the polar opposite.
I think if I can get a place close to 94, and not have to deal with all the street level traffic, it would help with the drive to work everyday. Of course if I want to be by the rail I would have to live closer to the lake so I could just jump on the red line to go into the city- or maybe find a place in Skokie close to the yellow line to make the connection to the red/purple lines- oh my what to do!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,727,465 times
Skokie Yellow Line is really far if you want to go downtown, about 45 minutes. The Evanston to Northbrook commute is 45 min max. and about the same to Wheeling. Evanston might be what you are looking for. Lincoln Square commute to the NW burbs is an hour in the morning, 90 minutes at night.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:25 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Jefferson Park to Wheeling-Northbrook-Buffalo Grove is not bad. Just need to learn the better surface streets to keep it 30-45 minutes. Talcott, Dee, Northwest/Rand Rd to Rte 83, Dryden/Windsor/Buffalo Grove gets you into Wheeling & Buffalo Grove. Milwaukee gets you into Northbrook. Evanston to Northbrook is not too bad, but into Wheeling/Buffalo Grove can be lon-ish. I would say 45-60 minutes. Worth considering: Edison Park, Des Plaines, Park Ridge & Arlington Heights. All put you closer to work, have restaurants/bars to walk to if you choose apartment location wisely and have Metra service into Chicago.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM

I am starting to lean heavily towards Evanston, I suppose I can deal with 45-60 minute commutes if I'm living in an area I like. Now I just need to find a safe, dog friendly apartment with somewhere to park my car haha.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
I like Evanston. Urban vibe, yet enough suburban to have a quieter and slightly less crowded feel. Excellent public transportation into the city, wonderful lakefront. Can you try out the commute before moving to see how it goes? Do it a couple of times during peak rush hours.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,067 times
I think you should look into Evanston because it has a great night/social life,lots of college students. You will find you won't need to go downtown. If you just want to be by a blue line you can live in Des Plaines, just take the Rosemont line. I'm from NW suburbs, so I suggest you consider living in the area, there is more to do around here than one would think but spots like Northbrook close up pretty early. Jefferson Park is a very nice area, safe, the best part if you do decide to live there is you will find good deals, people are less likely to charge for background check, credit check etc. Sometimes your landlord even lives above you, giving you easy access to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs