Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 AM

746 posts, read 2,248,292 times

Advertisements

We're moving with 3 young kids from NC. Hubby will be working in Chicago schools (not working FOR CPS but will be in different CPS sites daily). We would love to buy something but don't know the area well enough. We're planning a trip to see the area -- would you help us - let us know if there are houses for rent or sale in your area that you would buy if you weren't already in yours ?? Our budget tops out at about 300k; our wish list includes cul de sac, back yard, good school system, not too far from Chicago - (he will have to drive daily), nice area - not too noisy. We need either a bonus room or a full finished basement, would love a deck and porch.

I know it's a lot to hope for, but hey, if you don't reach for the stars you'll never reach them, right ?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 01:56 PM

166 posts, read 357,825 times
You will need to elaborate on further details in what you are looking for?

How far is too far to drive to a CPS shool? It could take you 45 minutes to drive 6 miles between CPS schools.

How much square footage are you looking for in a house?

Old 09-09-2010, 02:06 PM

320 posts, read 955,306 times
300k for a three bedroom home will mean a suburban commute.

Will this new position be reimbursing him for mileage?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Where in NC are you from?

It matters because there is a significant difference in the cost of living, with an emphasis on housing, property taxes and utilities.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Series View Post
You will need to elaborate on further details in what you are looking for?

How far is too far to drive to a CPS shool? It could take you 45 minutes to drive 6 miles between CPS schools.

How much square footage are you looking for in a house?
single family detached house on a cul de sac is what we have NOW - 3 br plus bonus room, 2 car garage, huge back yard, all the fixins. That said, we want whatever we can get on our budget, which is limited, given the new taxes we'll be facing.

He'll be driving between schools and doesn't yet know which schools he'll be servicing.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
300k for a three bedroom home will mean a suburban commute.

Will this new position be reimbursing him for mileage?
he has a company car - gas, registration, and upkeep paid.

We recognize that it will be a suburban commute. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can point me in the direction of homes for rent -- I know of 2 within walking distance from my home and would gladly tell people about them if asked.

Without driving around to get the lay of the land and understanding of neighborhoods, this process is pretty overwhelming!!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Where in NC are you from?

It matters because there is a significant difference in the cost of living, with an emphasis on housing, property taxes and utilities.
yes - well aware of the COL increases. Not expecting to have same std of living. We live in Raleigh.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:37 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,000,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
he has a company car - gas, registration, and upkeep paid.

We recognize that it will be a suburban commute. I'm wondering if anyone on this forum can point me in the direction of homes for rent -- I know of 2 within walking distance from my home and would gladly tell people about them if asked.

Without driving around to get the lay of the land and understanding of neighborhoods, this process is pretty overwhelming!!
The problem we are having is we don't know if we need to send you north, south or west. Luckily the lake prevents us from sending you east. Basically Chicago is a large area and you don't want to be in the north burbs when the schools are on the south side. The city itself is about 8 miles wide and 22 miles long! And that is before you get into traffic issues.

So knowing where he needs to commute is very important. The inner burbs are probably more urban than your tastes, but the commute will be more tolerable. The outer burbs are more to your taste but if he needs to drive this could be a huge problem. However without knowing where he needs to go we can't recommend a burb because if we choose Evanston and the school is on 130th street he is going to have a long commute in traffic.

Another kink is if he needs to be in the loop. Taking the train to the loop and driving to the loop are two different things. Driving to the loop has traffic issues, parking issues(high costs) and is generally not recommended. However outside of the loop driving isn't so heavily penalized.

Another thought, would you consider having him rent a place in the city and you remain out in far burbs. This could be a good temporary thing until he gets the lay of where he needs to be.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:24 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,166 times
You probably shouldn't be in so much of a hurry to buy - rent for a while and figure out where you'd like to be based on your own experiences. You might find the perfect location for your husband and don't like the school, or vice versa. I'd say look for something smaller to rent closer to the city, especially with winter coming and the number that does to traffic. Is there any way to narrow down which CPS sites he will be visiting or will it literally be all and any?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:35 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
single family detached house on a cul de sac is what we have NOW - 3 br plus bonus room, 2 car garage, huge back yard, all the fixins. That said, we want whatever we can get on our budget, which is limited, given the new taxes we'll be facing.

He'll be driving between schools and doesn't yet know which schools he'll be servicing.
Well unless you are willing to raise your housing budget or compromise some items on your wish list this will be difficult. I will suggest north side since I'm more familiar with it. I do agree that if husband's schools are primarily south side you may want to re-focus on SW burbs. Skokie/Morton Grove/Niles are good choices. You won't find many cul-de-sacs or large yards but these are close to the city, have decent schools and safe neighborhoods with good parks and libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs