Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 17,649 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband has gotten a job offer to relocate to Des Plaines. We currently live in California, which is as I'm sure you know, quite a diverse state. I am white, my husband is latino(Salvadoran), we are very curious if there is any existing racism in the area? I have heard things about the police being very racist and what not, we would really like to know what people who are familiar with the area have to say on this matter...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 21,866 times
I think Des Plaines is a pretty diverse area, Park Ridge, the town right next to it however, not so much. But I haven't heard anything significant about police singling people out in those areas...is California really that diverse other than white and latino? I'm actually curious on that one because I've always thought of it to be not so great for blacks...

Old 09-28-2010, 01:51 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
Chicagoland (which is what we call the metro) has the 2nd largest Hispanic population in the United States, the 3rd largest African American population, 5th largest Jewish population, and 3rd largest Italian population. Not to mention we are the 3rd largest Polish and 3rd largest Irish city in the world. Chicago is very diverse. Yes, there are some instances of racism, but it is a big city. The vast majority of the people you meet will be tolerant of really anyone, save for a few areas of the city and suburbs.

Des Plaines is located in the north/northwest suburbs. The NW Cook County (Chicago is also in Cook County) suburbs are approx. 40% Hispanic when all combined. Significant numbers of Polish, Jewish, and Italian residents all live in NW Cook. Lake County also has a large Hispanic population, as well as many Jewish residents.

The further outside the metro area you go, the more likely people will be less tolerant. Several neighborhoods on the SW side of the city have also had a few racial issues in the past decade.

Just to note: Most of the Hispanic population in Chicago is Mexican, followed by Puerto Rican. Not too many Central American Latinos in Chicagoland, though there are pockets.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschicagoland View Post
I think Des Plaines is a pretty diverse area, Park Ridge, the town right next to it however, not so much. But I haven't heard anything significant about police singling people out in those areas...is California really that diverse other than white and latino? I'm actually curious on that one because I've always thought of it to be not so great for blacks...
It really depends on where you are in California, for instance I live in the inland empire, and would say that is is very african american friendly. In fact being latino or black is the norm, and if you are white you are a minority. However the beach towns are still very racist, against black people more than latinos.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
There are people from hispanic backrounds all over Des Plaines. Although most are of the Mexican persuasion.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:30 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liniraheta09 View Post
I have heard things about the police being very racist...
From who?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
I've never heard of any racist incidents in Des Plaines. I don't think you'd run into any trouble there. The entire Chicagoland area is rife with people of hispanic heritage.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
From who?
I was reading another thread before I posted this one, and there were quite a few people talking about Mt. Prospect and a few other suburbs having issues with the cops being racist. That's what led me to post this thread specifically about Des Plaines. I have no clue about the area :/

Old 09-28-2010, 02:40 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Let's get to the real issues: Do you need to live in Des Plaines in order to walk or take public transportation to work or to share 1 car? If not, you can look at several other suburbs that are within a 20-30 minute drive. Are you buying or renting? What's your budget? Kids-schools important? Do you want denser, walkable area or more spread out suburban feel with larger lots?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:57 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Chicagoland (which is what we call the metro) has the 2nd largest Hispanic population in the United States, the 3rd largest African American population, 5th largest Jewish population, and 3rd largest Italian population. Not to mention we are the 3rd largest Polish and 3rd largest Irish city in the world. Chicago is very diverse. Yes, there are some instances of racism, but it is a big city. The vast majority of the people you meet will be tolerant of really anyone, save for a few areas of the city and suburbs.

Des Plaines is located in the north/northwest suburbs. The NW Cook County (Chicago is also in Cook County) suburbs are approx. 40% Hispanic when all combined. Significant numbers of Polish, Jewish, and Italian residents all live in NW Cook. Lake County also has a large Hispanic population, as well as many Jewish residents.

The further outside the metro area you go, the more likely people will be less tolerant. Several neighborhoods on the SW side of the city have also had a few racial issues in the past decade.

Just to note: Most of the Hispanic population in Chicago is Mexican, followed by Puerto Rican. Not too many Central American Latinos in Chicagoland, though there are pockets.
No....they are not. Cook County wasn't even 20% Hispanic in 2000. I doubt the hispanic population has doubled in ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs