Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 11:55 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
Ok, I would say that I see alot more mexicans than I saw even 5-10 years ago living in parts of humboldt park. Not fewer puerto ricans, or blacks, just more mexicans. There isn't any kind of racial rift in the area. The immigrant mexican community usually stays to itself even in suburbs like cicero or chicago heights. They always have there side of town where there is a heavy concentration. That is just how all new immigrant cultures are. They just so happen to be here in very large numbers. The mexicans born in america usually spread out more, although like most minorty groups many still prefer to have there own communities. Puerto ricans are a multiracial people. Taino indian, some african decent, and also some degree of spanish. There culture reflects that. It's really hard to stereotype a puerto rican at all. And, I would say the same thing can be said for an african american. I think most races in humboldt park get along. They sort of get along too well for being on the west side of chicago. Definately alot of cultural mixing going on in humboldt park. The heavy puerto rican culture, hip hop culture, the puerto rican food everybody likes to eat, mexican food in the area, etc.
I notice these small immigrant enclaves in the suburbs too. Even in Oak Forest(majority white), those apartment buildings near 159th & Cicero are mostly Mexican.
In Harvey, Mexicans have their own enclaves. The further east you go, the more Mexican it becomes. Between E 159th & Vincennes and the via dock is majority Mexican. The elementary school on that side of town is 67% Hispanic. Also the South Asians some how carved out 1 block for themselves. 152nd & Broadway is all Indian/Pakistani and Muslim with a mosque/pray center on the corner. Talk about being segregated. I wonder is an Indian corner store going to pop up one day on that same block? lol At least they send their kids to the public schools in the area.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-17-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 01:53 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,216 times
I would say the mexican population in humboldt park has risen in general and has helped to repopulate some of the less populated areas of humboldt park, these parts of humboldt park would resemble low populated parts of neighboring garfield park if it weren't for the heavy immigrant mexican population growth. The puerto rican population in humboldt park has not grown as much and not enough to show a percentage gain, but has stayed very large. This is because the population of puerto ricans coming stateside has been outpaced by the huge number of mexican and central american immigrants coming to america in general. The number African americans in humboldt park has remained very high. I don't see how the population of african americans in the area could get any higher as neighboring garfield park is already over 96 percent african american. Although in a smaller percentage than humboldt park, some mexican immigrants have also begun to settle in low populated parts of east garfield park which east garfield currently has many of. East Garfield park could definately use some population growth. I think the mexican immigrant trend of repopulating areas will continue going forward in the low populated areas of east garfield park and not so much in humboldt park. Cheap areas, with low populations is what drives the ever expanding mexican immigrant neighbohood trend. Humboldt park and east garfield park are what they have always been. Humboldt park and east garfield park have always been, mostly working class immigrant, mixed income, working class communities. And, will probably remain so going forward. These never were wealthy areas to begin with. The housing in east garfield park and most of humboldt park was built for the lower class immigrants that used to work in nearby factories. These areas will probably stay working class for the foreseable future and some of the lower class, low populated areas will be repopulated with mexican immigrants. Those rooting for gentrification or those who are against gentrification, it probably won't happen anyway. In fact, chicago has seen very little actual gentrification as a whole. But, Chicago has seen a fair amount of revitalization of areas that were historically affluent areas. Wicker park and the the bucktown area of logan square were originally built to be wealthy areas. Which is why there is the existance of older mansions with backyard couch houses in those two areas. Historically those areas have been affluent areas for more decades than they have been run down areas. The same can be said for other revitalized or revitalizing areas in chicago like lincoln park, lake view, uptown, etc. And revitalizing areas on the southside like, hyde park, kenwood, bronzeville, Jackson Park Highlands, etc.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-17-2010 at 03:02 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Allen,

There are mansions along humboldt blvd and kedzie just north of humboldt Park along the boulevards that were definitely not built for poor people.

The puerto rican population is going down while mexican population is going up. Overall population of Humboldt Park is actually slightly down and DINKs have replaced some families in the past 10 years.

I hope more mexicans settle in EGP and southern HP to give more of a buffer between HP and Garfield Park. Presently, HP kinda serves as a buffer between Garfield Park and Logan Square.

Black population is going down especially in western Humboldt Park as blacks are replaced by hispanics (mostly mexican).

Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Allen,

There are mansions along humboldt blvd and kedzie just north of humboldt Park along the boulevards that were definitely not built for poor people.

The puerto rican population is going down while mexican population is going up. Overall population of Humboldt Park is actually slightly down and DINKs have replaced some families in the past 10 years.

I hope more mexicans settle in EGP and southern HP to give more of a buffer between HP and Garfield Park. Presently, HP kinda serves as a buffer between Garfield Park and Logan Square.

Black population is going down especially in western Humboldt Park as blacks are replaced by hispanics (mostly mexican).

With the exception of west bucktown between western ave and california, the humboldt park area has not seen any substantial socioeconomic changes that have been long lasting, and we are just coming out of the largest real estate boom in the history of the united states. Too many areas to name that are populated by blacks, whites, hispanics, and asians have been revitalized and have seen major, substantial, and LASTING socioeconomic changes to class of population, poverty rates, and median household incomes. Humboldt park was not one of them. The race changing from more mexicans, or blacks, or puerto ricans means very little in my opinion in a city as socioeconomically diverse as chicago. There is definatly without a doubt still room for realistic improvement in both humboldt park and garfield park. Racially I see it more of a repopulation thing occuring with the mexicans and central american immigrants who are mostly lower working class. They fit in economically with the existing area, and have added to population to an area that was seeing major population decline. The lower working class african american parts of both humboldt park and all of garfield park suffer from major population shortages and lack of overall number of people living in the area. There is plenty of cheap low populated area for the mexican and central american immigrant community to continue to expand around there. I don't think any racial group will be economically displaced from any of those areas for a long time. Neighboring Bucktown and wicker park have both seen major socioeconomic changes and are still great deals. Especially compared to lincoln park, which in my opinion is what I would compare those two areas to and what I expect them to resemble in the future.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-17-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,983 times
But if more Mexicans settle in Garfield Park, wouldn't that create more Mexicans vs. Blacks conflicts? Like in LA when Mexicans started moving into what were then considered predominately black neighborhoods...

Old 10-17-2010, 10:23 PM

736 posts, read 1,694,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
With the exception of west bucktown between western ave and california, the humboldt park area has not seen any substantial socioeconomic changes that have been long lasting, and we are just coming out of the largest real estate boom in the history of the united states. Too many areas to name that are populated by blacks, whites, hispanics, and asians have been revitalized and have seen major, substantial, and LASTING socioeconomic changes to class of population, poverty rates, and median household incomes. Humboldt park was not one of them. The race changing from more mexicans, or blacks, or puerto ricans means very little in my opinion in a city as socioeconomically diverse as chicago. There is definatly without a doubt still room for realistic improvement in both humboldt park and garfield park. Racially I see it more of a repopulation thing occuring with the mexicans and central american immigrants who are mostly lower working class. They fit in economically with the existing area, and have added to population to an area that was seeing major population decline. The lower working class african american parts of both humboldt park and all of garfield park suffer from major population shortages and lack of overall number of people living in the area. There is plenty of cheap low populated area for the mexican and central american immigrant community to continue to expand around there. I don't think any racial group will be economically displaced from any of those areas for a long time. Neighboring Bucktown and wicker park have both seen major socioeconomic changes and are still great deals. Especially compared to lincoln park, which in my opinion is what I would compare those two areas to and what I expect them to resemble in the future.
How do mexicans and central americans get along with each other in Chicago? In southern cali, generally speaking, they do not. Mainly the large salvadoran population, they don't like the mexicans and vice versa, it's MS13 vs. various Mexican gangs, I don't know how big of a presence the MS13 has in Chicago.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 AM

Default Mexicans and Central Americans generally get along

Not a whole lot of issues between the races. In Chicago, the main conflict is between whites and blacks, very different cultures.

As you go up the economic food chain, there is less conflict.

Allen,

I do not consider most of the African Americans living in Garfield Park working class. Many do not work period and the area is very empty, with just 20,000 people (East Garfield Park), compared to Humboldt Park with over 100,000. You are correct that the area is very depopulated. Much of this was as a result of the 1968 Riots following the death of Martin Luther King Jr in which much of the neighborhood was razed and never rebuilt.

There is no West Bucktown, just Humboldt Park and Logan Square.

Lower working class Mexican (or any race) is better than non-working class Black (or any race).

I have not seen alot of Mexicans in Garfield Park. Everything north of Kinzie is Humbodlt Park. I see very few of anything but blacks around Madison and Pulaski. I often have to avoid idiots in the street all along Madison when I drive downtown along Madison from Oak Park (I can drive 40 mph the whole way as that area is fairly empty and a decent drive as long as you are careful to avoid the people (and their kids unfortunately) who often walk in the middle of the road without looking)

Old 10-18-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Not a whole lot of issues between the races. In Chicago, the main conflict is between whites and blacks, very different cultures.

As you go up the economic food chain, there is less conflict.

Allen,

I do not consider most of the African Americans living in Garfield Park working class. Many do not work period and the area is very empty, with just 20,000 people (East Garfield Park), compared to Humboldt Park with over 100,000. You are correct that the area is very depopulated. Much of this was as a result of the 1968 Riots following the death of Martin Luther King Jr in which much of the neighborhood was razed and never rebuilt.

There is no West Bucktown, just Humboldt Park and Logan Square.

Lower working class Mexican (or any race) is better than non-working class Black (or any race).

I have not seen alot of Mexicans in Garfield Park. Everything north of Kinzie is Humbodlt Park. I see very few of anything but blacks around Madison and Pulaski. I often have to avoid idiots in the street all along Madison when I drive downtown along Madison from Oak Park (I can drive 40 mph the whole way as that area is fairly empty and a decent drive as long as you are careful to avoid the people (and their kids unfortunately) who often walk in the middle of the road without looking)

Humboldt park is clearly a better place to live than east garfield. But, why are there more cheap properties currently on the market in humboldt park than there are in east garfield park? I have noticed this for a while. The cheap foreclosed properties in east garfield park are currently being purchased. There are only 10 properties on the market in east garfield for under $30,000. And 22 properties currently on the market for under $30,000 in humboldt park. Also, over 125 properties under $100,000 on the market in humboldt park, and only 41 properties on the market for under $100,000 in east garfield.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-18-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Default HP vs. EGP

Allen,

HP is alot bigger than EGP. Over 100,000 people vs. less than 20,000. Lot more buildings too.

You have to look at where the properties are located. Further west and south in HP usually means cheaper, though there are exceptions.

I think it has alot to do with HP being much larger than EGP with both population and number of buildings available.

You would also need to look at WGP as well as there are many parts of West Garfield Park that resemble southern Humboldt Park. EGP ends at Hamlin (3800W), while Humboldt Park goes to 4400W.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
But if more Mexicans settle in Garfield Park, wouldn't that create more Mexicans vs. Blacks conflicts? Like in LA when Mexicans started moving into what were then considered predominately black neighborhoods...
Not really. In Chicago the Mexican and Black relations are not nearly as bad as So. Cal. There is some tension tho. South Chicago is a neighborhood that is mostly black and mexican and most of the violence is intraracial

mas23
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs