Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
I am also a HF 90's alum. Maybe you guys should pay your old alma mater a visit. My cousin plays on the football team and I have been to a couple of games. It also ranks the same or better than when we attended school there in the 90's. There advanced placement program is probably more highly regarded now than it was before. I remember taking college algebra as a freshman. It was very challenging. The advanced placement program is what seperates the school. That and that alone. Yes, it does rank with hinsdale, new trier, and all of the other top schools. HF's program ranks in the top 5 percent of all high schools in the united states. Not just in the south suburbs.

America's Best High Schools: The List - Newsweek
I call BS.

If you were truly a HF grad, you would've been shouting it from the rooftops all along that you had personal experience with the district.

But you haven't. It's almost an afterthought. Weird.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:53 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I call BS.

If you were truly a HF grad, you would've been shouting it from the rooftops all along that you had personal experience with the district.

But you haven't. It's almost an afterthought. Weird.

It's called being objective chuckity. Anyone else who attended hf in the 90's want to quiz me? Like who was the most popular public figure to visit HF in the mid 90's and where did he give his speech? and where did he say he wanted to take a swim at? anyone who went to hf during that time period would probably remember that.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
It's called being objective chuckity...
And you are being objective? hahaha

Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 PM

36 posts, read 126,582 times
Ok....

Not wanting to get off topic but was it Bill Clinton by the Bio-Pond? Is that where he wanted to take a swim?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriGuy23 View Post
Ok....

Not wanting to get off topic but was it Bill Clinton by the Bio-Pond? Is that where he wanted to take a swim?

yes it was. and that's like the only thing I really remember about his speech. That was like the first thing that he said and it was pretty silly and everyone just started laughing at it. Maybe it was his strong country accent that made it sound kind of believable.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-07-2010 at 09:37 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 PM

17,411 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
It's called being objective chuckity. Anyone else who attended hf in the 90's want to quiz me? Like who was the most popular public figure to visit HF in the mid 90's and where did he give his speech? and where did he say he wanted to take a swim at? anyone who went to hf during that time period would probably remember that.
Um, news flash. Anyone who lived in the south suburbs at the time could pretty much answer that question.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Um, news flash. Anyone who lived in the south suburbs at the time could pretty much answer that question.

Oh ok. Well, what department did miss demas teach in? or mrs. anderson? or what did mr. murphy do at HF? I am pretty sure all of these folks are all retired by now.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM

247 posts, read 688,829 times
And another thing about this ridiculously long H-F High school debate...young couples with no kids (or young children) who are moving into a town should be looking at the scores of the ELEMENTARY schools in the district. A lot can change at a high school in the 9 years (or more, if you don't yet have children) between Kindergarten and 9th grade.

ALL of the Homewood elementary schools and the middle school made AYP with 80% or more of the students meeting/exceeding state standards. The middle school scores were high 80's. The schools are doing fine. (BTW, that also means that the special education population met AYP as well...very difficult to do, which is why many schools in the state are being labeled as "failing" schools...don't get me started on that...)

High school is a completely different beast. You have hundreds, if not thousands, of students thrown together. Some are going to sink and some are going to swim, no matter what the teachers and parents try to accomplish. Does a kid who has no plans of going to college give a hoot what they score on some stupid standardized test? No, they're just going to show up (maybe), fill in the bubbles at random, and go on about their day. They're not worried about their lack of effort affecting the "prestige" of the school, or the rankings handed out by some magazine.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:45 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Allen,

I believe you went to HF. Surely and outsider would not know specific teachers.

What town did you grow up in? And where were you born?

I am just trying to see if you are a transplant or if you were born and raised in Homewood/Flossmor.

I was not but know a lot of people who were (including a girl I dated a few years back). They have no interest in moving back and of their relatives that remain many are older.

I agree that HF is still a good school, just not what it once was. It is still better than a lot of other schools in all of Chicagoland and will remain so for at least the next 10 years. In 20 years, it will be interesting to see.

Given that my kids (not born yet) will be in high school at this time I have no interest in living in that area. I want to move into an area that is getting better or at least staying the same, not worse.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:26 PM

320 posts, read 717,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Allen,

I believe you went to HF. Surely and outsider would not know specific teachers.

What town did you grow up in? And where were you born?

I am just trying to see if you are a transplant or if you were born and raised in Homewood/Flossmor.

I was not but know a lot of people who were (including a girl I dated a few years back). They have no interest in moving back and of their relatives that remain many are older.

I agree that HF is still a good school, just not what it once was. It is still better than a lot of other schools in all of Chicagoland and will remain so for at least the next 10 years. In 20 years, it will be interesting to see.

Given that my kids (not born yet) will be in high school at this time I have no interest in living in that area. I want to move into an area that is getting better or at least staying the same, not worse.
Getting worse? I didn't realize that homewood was getting worse. People are overreacting for nothing. Well then again, I know why they're overreacting but I'm not going to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs