Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 PM

30 posts, read 65,967 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Homewood, Illinois for about 5 years and I like it. You will hear a lot about the schools not being up to par like they use to; however, the schools are a lot better than CPS. My daughter attends Homewood Flossmoor and she loves it. Keep in mind, my child grew up overseas most of her life (Puerto Rico and Japan being the latter). We chose Homewood for the diversity, amenities such as Starbucks and the Homewood Flossmoor Racquetball Club (We are workout fanatics). I know that people label neighborhoods based on the demographics; the more White people in the area, the better. Crime is everywhere. I have some doctor friends that live in Lincoln Park and Bucktown and when I go visit, I don’t feel any safer. I actually feel safer in Homewood. Many of these places play on fear. Property values are based on who lives in the area. Don’t get caught up in that madness. People pay more money for a false sense of security. People are being robbed and raped left and right in those neighborhoods.

When my family and I visit the city; my daughter and husband turn their nose up. My daughter thinks Chicago is the worst thing in the world and Tokyo is the best thing since apple pie. I like diversity and that is why I chose Homewood. We are in the 21st century and people need to accept the fact that you cannot run from people. I am so happy that my family and I had the opportunity to live around Japanese, Filipinos, Africans, Whites, Hispanics and etc. That is what life is about.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM

30 posts, read 65,967 times
Also to add on to my post; my husband is from Myrtle Beach South Carolina and the first thing he noticed was how segregated Chicagoland is. He says that is such a backwoods mentality and he is from the South. If people are going to make it in this world, you will have to embrace other cultures and races. Most people will bankrupt themselves to live in neighborhoods that are considered more desirable. People say that Orland Park, Illinois is like the best; the best in what? OP has definitely changed too since I left the country in 1998 and returned in 2005.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,839,271 times
Allen,

Thanks for at least addressing my question. However, I said to take out socio-economic factors. Comparing an affluent black area to a middle class white area is not doing this. You would need to compare Olympia Fields to a more affluent suburb like Naperville or Barrington.

To the other poster who says Homewood is better than CPS, big deal. Not much to compare to.

I am sure the test scores in Homewood are better than the all-white rural school I attended in southern Indiana where less than a quarter go to college. Average median income is less than half Homewood. Yet, our crime is non-existent despite lower socio-economic status in my hometown. Ultimately, it comes down to values taught at home. People are taught to work hard from an early age. People still game the system but nothing like I have seen in St. Louis, Indianapolis, or Chicago.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 PM

829 posts, read 2,076,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Allen,

Thanks for at least addressing my question. However, I said to take out socio-economic factors. Comparing an affluent black area to a middle class white area is not doing this. You would need to compare Olympia Fields to a more affluent suburb like Naperville or Barrington.

To the other poster who says Homewood is better than CPS, big deal. Not much to compare to.

I am sure the test scores in Homewood are better than the all-white rural school I attended in southern Indiana where less than a quarter go to college. Average median income is less than half Homewood. Yet, our crime is non-existent despite lower socio-economic status in my hometown. Ultimately, it comes down to values taught at home. People are taught to work hard from an early age. People still game the system but nothing like I have seen in St. Louis, Indianapolis, or Chicago.
No offense, but I think some people like yourself seem to look at things like it's some sort of racial competition between whites and african americans. In successfully integrated areas like flossmoor, olympia fields, homewood, etc., that couldn't be further from the truth for most people of all races who live there. The only valid point that you make is atleast acknowledging that the economic makeup of the area is the real driver behind the difference in the educational performance of a school. Why not go a step further and analyze the economic makeup of some the failing schools in illinois and include some of the low income mostly white downstate and far north areas to get a good balance of mostly low income white areas that also have very low performing schools. If you do this I think you will find the true answer to your question.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-06-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 PM

16,849 posts, read 14,221,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen2323 View Post
First of all, homewood is way nicer than it was 10, or definitely 15 years ago. More retail, more upscale residential fill in, a better downtown with more boutiques and restaurants. All of the retail along halsted wasn't there 10 years ago. The bestbuy, bed bath n beyond, officemax, kinkos, more banks, etc, 3 starbucks coffee's in homewood. I think those who feel the area has declined WHO ACTUALLY LIVE IN THE AREA are in a very small minority . But, of course you can't talk about negative outside opinions about the area without mentioning the obvious reason why some have an unjust negative view of the area, and that is race. Many people in the chicagoland suburbs prefer to live in racially segregated suburbs. And, will go to great lengths to achieve this. Moving to far rural suburbs in will county and in indiana, and belittling those whites who choose not to follow them out there, with things like the education is so much better in indiana or will county. Contrary to popular belief most whites who live in the area enjoy living there as much as the african americans living there do. In fact, there has been a noticeable influx of young white families with children moving to homewood, particularly around the residential areas of downtown homewood. I think you will find that most whites as well as african americans who live in the area consider it to be a successfully integrated community. The public schools rank among the other top public schools in the southern or southwestern region of chicago. The choices in award winning private schools in the area are second to none in the southern or southwestern region of chicago.
In the last ten years, crime has increased and the quality of schools have decreased. That is a verifiable fact and two of the top reasons we moved from the south suburbs to Indiana. (Property taxes & house bang for the buck rounding out the top 4.)

You do realize that you're doing the same thing - belittling people for their personal choices - that you accuse others of, don't you?

Now, saying that the public schools are the best in the area. Yep. That would be true. But when you take a look at the competition - it's really nothing to be proud of.

I'm happy you like living in Homewood ... but the truth of the matter is, it's just not what it used to be.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 32,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
In the last ten years, crime has increased and the quality of schools have decreased. That is a verifiable fact and two of the top reasons we moved from the south suburbs to Indiana. (Property taxes & house bang for the buck rounding out the top 4.)

You do realize that you're doing the same thing - belittling people for their personal choices - that you accuse others of, don't you?

Now, saying that the public schools are the best in the area. Yep. That would be true. But when you take a look at the competition - it's really nothing to be proud of.

I'm happy you like living in Homewood ... but the truth of the matter is, it's just not what it used to be.

Exactly!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM

829 posts, read 2,076,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

No, I really could care less what's going on in indiana. In fact I can count on one hand the number of times I have actually even been to indiana and have no interest at all to post negative untrue comments about an area that I don't even have an interest enough to even drive to. But, for whatever reason you claim to have an interest and knowledge in an area that I live in and paid a considerable amount of money to do so just the same as others who choose to live in the area have done. And, you obviously don't have a fricken clue about the area just as I don't about living in indiana. And furthermore, you and several other posters on this board clearly do not share the same beliefs of most people that I find who choose to live in my area including myself, about all races of people being equal. And, someone isn't mentally superior just because they are white and all that other total crap that I am hearing. If you prefer a more segregated rural suburban setting that is fine, and I totally respect that. I honestly could not think of anything negative to say about that even if I wanted to.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-06-2010 at 02:45 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,144,008 times
Quote:
Humboldt1;16161124]Please explain why test scores decline as african american population increases in areas such as Flossmor, regardless of how much money or education the incoming black parents have. I am not race baiting. I genuinely want to know why as a whole white kids do better scholastically even when you account for socio-economic factors.
As far as the top 1000 high schools in the countries, I heard H-F fell in ranking. I guess they rank base on all major tests and not just the ACT. Despite that, the average ACT score from 2009(21.5) is hardly different from 2003 test scores(21.4) when the school was 55% White. As far as I know H-F been in the 21 area dating back to 2003. If someone can find ACT scores pre-2003, that'll be great. My big question is why the white student enrollment continues to decrease. Are there not that many 14-18 year old White kids living in Homewood-Flossmoor area? Or is it that more and more White parents every year are trying to enroll their kids in private H.S. such as Marion?

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-06-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 PM

818 posts, read 2,160,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbermishoe View Post
That is what life is about.
A little bit much, don't you think? I understand that there are people out there that value racial diversity, and I'm glad that you had a really positive experience with it, but it is somewhat erroneous to claim that is what life is about, when the average person probably spends less than ten minutes a week even thinking about racial diversity vs. other issues such as what they are doing at work, what bar to watch the Bears game at, who their friends want to date etc.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM

9 posts, read 32,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
As far as the top 1000 high schools in the countries, I heard H-F fell in ranking. I guess they rank base on all major tests and not just the ACT. Despite that, the average ACT score from 2009(21.5) is hardly different from 2003 test scores(21.4) when the school was 55% White. As far as I know H-F been in the 21 area dating back to 2003. If someone can find ACT scores pre-2003, that'll be great. My big question is why the white student enrollment continues to decrease. Are there not that many 14-18 year old White kids living in Homewood-Flossmoor area? Or is it that more and more White parents every year are trying to enroll their kids in private H.S. such as Marion?
I live here and have talked to many families in the area. Yes, a lot of concerned parents send their children to private schools, however the surrounding areas (Glenwood, Chicago Heights) are filtered in making the white students the minority at H/F. Of course the others move before their children are in high school...white flight you might call it. i have talked to local moms in which their white children are now the minority and they are bullied and teased for being 'white'. Racism goes both ways if you are going to bring that up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs