Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:59 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The other big nightlife suburban areas are Evanston, Arlington Heights, and Oak Park, in that order in my opinion. Evanston has the public transit and walkability advantages, but at least from what I have seen, is very college like due to NU. AH also has the self containment problem and its nightlife scene is small, but far better than 90% of the burbs. I used to like the idea of Oak Park for young professionals, but the problem is getting into the city at night and back is dangerous on the L.
For Oak Park, weren't you actually trying to say Forest Park? OP has virtually no bars(unless you count Poor Phil's and Bar Louie), and Madison Street in FP has numerous options all within walking distance of each other. There are also a few non-Madison St. bars within FP that are not too far away, and just slightly north of Madison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:10 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The other big nightlife suburban areas are Evanston, Arlington Heights, and Oak Park, in that order in my opinion. Evanston has the public transit and walkability advantages, but at least from what I have seen, is very college like due to NU. AH also has the self containment problem and its nightlife scene is small, but far better than 90% of the burbs. I used to like the idea of Oak Park for young professionals, but the problem is getting into the city at night and back is dangerous on the L.
Maybe it's just me, but I think the 'dangerous' factor of taking the Green Line back into the 'L at night is very, very overstated by people. Especially by those who have little experience riding the 'L whatsoever.

I agree there are occasionally shady characters on the 'L(either Green or Blue(Forest Park/Congress) late, but almost always this has never been an issue for me. What I personally do, is that I always try to ride in the very first car where the train operator is. Thus, he/she will respond a lot quicker if there's an incident that suddenly occurs, not to mention you reduce the chances of someone panhandling and/or trying to jump you.

Believe it or not, the only times(2 times ever) where I almost was robbed(got very lucky both times I wasn't robbed) were once while riding the Red Line through Rogers Park, and while downtown on the Brown Line! Funny to think about this, but this is completely true for myself.

Finally, if I'm coming back from the near west suburbs at night and have to take the 'L back(due to missing the last Metra train from OP going east), I greatly prefer taking the Green Line. The Blue Line(Forest Park/Congress) has an annoying problem with panhandling I've never liked, and the western part(not the NW part going to O'Hare) of the Blue Line have the worst problems with 'L panhandling outside of the Red Line.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:04 PM

55 posts, read 161,856 times
Ok, so let me throw in another opinion.

Honestly, I really think that it depends on your evaluation criteria, your interests and what you are accustomed too. My husband and I are (not so young professionals and we would die out there.. and we even have a child!

On the plus side: you can get a big bang for your buck there. (Now, I'm not referring to the gorgeous downtown where the houses sell for a significant amount of money.) I am referring to the reclaimed farm land area between Fox Valley mall and Plainfield, which is where the bulk of Napervillians live.

Schools are good. Taxes aren't high.

There are all the big box and chain stores you could possibly want.

Apparently, according to this thread, there are lots of bars and restaurants too.

Although, if your evaluation criteria includes diversity, culture, proximity to what Chicago has to offer, uniqueness, walkability I would definitley not consider Naperville "#1" to use your term.

Net:net: All depends on your evaluation criteria.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Id say Naperville is a good spot for young persons who like a lively nightlife, all centralized in a few small blocks. Downtown St. Charles is rapidly up and coming, too. Drive downtown on a weekend and the place is getting absolutely packed with bar hoppers now. There are several bars all withing walking distance, and all of them are hopping (ie Stockholms, Pub 222, Filling Station, Chord On Blues, McNally's, etc).

Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
If I were young and single and interested in a suburb, I would probably opt for Evanston. The university, the lake, walkability,the easy commute to the city, the shops, restaurants, farmer's market and diversity work for me. All depends on what sort of stuff interests you.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Um no. Evanston is a cool town. So are Berwynn and Oak Park. But Naperville is about as cool as bread and butter..

I don't live in a very "cool" town either but I'm just answering the OP's question. And the answer is "ummm NO, definitely not.."

Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I don't agree that Naperville is underrated. It is nice and everyone seems aware of it.

The big thing one would miss in Naperville is any sense of an edge. Lots of commerce but overall a very soft and suburban feel. For people who like this it is top notch, though they still might prefer one of the smaller nearby suburbs that is more quaint and less sprawling, or someplace closer to the lake and with more history. But Naperville will put off others who like the international and interracial flavor of more classically urban suburbs, more starving artist types, eccentrics or whatever mixed in with upper-income people (like those mentioned above -- Oak Park and Evanston are the classic examples). Kind of depends on your taste.
Exactly.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneranger456 View Post
plus with Naperville you are in Dupage and have less taxes than Crook!
But since when are the low taxes in the Illinois Republican stronghold of Dupage County a magnet for young people?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 PM

408 posts, read 997,033 times
This is hard to answer for me. I'm 22, and I grew up in Elk Grove Village (or if people ask me where I'm from, I say Woodfield).
If you don't want to live in the city, Naperville would be a good choice, but not number 1 in my books.
Honestly though, I would kill myself if I ended up in Naperville. It's just so...suburban. A bread and butter, cookie-cutter, too convenient, too perfect suburban kind of world.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 PM

I get weird vibes from people in Naperville. It's hard to explain.

And why is he wearing shorts in the middle of Autumn anyway? Maybe they don't even notice the cold but still have that goofy smile..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs