Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Thanks thread cop.
You are quite welcome. I offer no assistance to you in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 06:38 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The unofficial chicagoland rules for when you hit the boonies is anything south of 80 and anything west of 47. North is debatable as it's fairly populated all the way into wisconsin.
Except for a few small farms and forest preserves it is continually urbanized to Milwaukee. What is controversial is the demarcation between the Chicago and Milwaukee metro areas. My vote is for Kenosha.

Last edited by pvande55; 10-13-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: better explanation

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,063,305 times
Far south suburbs have cornfields. This doesn't automatically make it "country" or not a suburb. Hell, even Flossmoor has cornfields on Vollmer road.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:53 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Technically you start to hit semi boonish when you reach the south edge of Cook County. If you ever looked at a map of Cook County on C-D, you notice all the undeveloped patches of brown spots in the southern area. This area is quite vulnerable to Tornadoes.

A good way to know when you have left the Chicago suburbs if the town does not have a Metra station or at least near a city that has one. In the west suburbs, Aurora is the last stop. I head that way several times and it gets rural almost instantly west of Aurora. Heading south or southwest, University Park or Joliet are the last stops. I'm not sure about the northern area. I think Waukegan or Kenosha are the last Metra stops.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-13-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
This thread touches on the subject:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...t-hitting.html
Are you briving linicx so you can pretend to be moderator? There was a huge debate about the two of you over on [domain blocked due to spam]. There was a mod from the gamer's section that was demoted for that very reason. It was 2goldens. SuncoastGuy was the one that turned her in. SCG also got into it with Drover. The debate got very nasty after that.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:18 PM

33 posts, read 69,707 times
Ditto Tempest8. The "Chicagoland" boundaries can be defined as within this area; North of 80 and East of 47 and North to Wisconsin.
Another idea---locate the furthest stop on all the Metra lines that go into Chicago. Connect the "dots". Now you have basically outlined the "suburban" Chicago area and anything outside of that is relatively rural.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:27 AM

736 posts, read 1,694,832 times
How about, if it has mobile homes it's not considered "Chicagoland".

Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 AM
mh9

7 posts, read 11,576 times
Sorry to bust your bubble, but the near suburbs are rife with mobile homes, even in some of the higher-income areas.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
In the Chicago suburbs. And how far out do "Chicago suburbs" go? A couple of times I've typed in a suburb or two into Google Maps and would think, "this is a suburb of Chicago?" when the map came up. Two examples are Elburn and St. Charles. Until you zoom out considerably on Google Maps, they look like they're in the middle of nowhere. And I've looked at pictures of Elburn, some parts look more rural than suburban. At what point is an area not a suburb of Chicago but a town in Illinois?
I don't get why St. Charles as a suburb seems so implausible. There is contiguous development from Chicago all the way out to the Fox Valley, and now beyond -- such as to Elburn. When my family moved to STC in 1980 it was already considered a suburb back then. It's certainly more so now. Me personally, I draw the line at Route 47. But I doubt it will be long before the line will have to be moved again. It wasn't that long ago that Randall Road was what Route 47 is now -- a relatively quick way to get from one end of the Fox Valley area to the other. Nowadays you can jog on many stretches of Randall almost as fast as you can drive, especially on Saturdays.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
How about, if it has mobile homes it's not considered "Chicagoland".
Hegewisch (a Chicago neighborhood) had mobile homes until two years ago. So I don't think that criteria is gonna work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs