Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times

Advertisements

We could use a guy like that in IL.to clean up the crap that Governor Jello and King Madigan are pussyfooting around, but with more tact and without Kohl's special interest $$ making the dude look like a corporate pawn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,064,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Steve-o? Yeah he used to post a lot around here. I looked at his last posts, and he is still active in other CD forums. I'm guessing he no longer likes to post here after the mods censored him for expressing his opinion about the state senators from Wisconsin that fled here...
Not really. He was already kinda phasing out before that, posting less and less frequently, even if those may have been his last posts on the Illinois forum.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,058 times
He likes the southwest more.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Does any one really think Gov Jello will be re elected?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:09 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
If the state Republican party wises up and finds a credible candidate that is socially moderate and doesn't make the union supporters and entitlement sensitive swing voters uncomfortable, then yes Quinn will NOT be re-elected.
If they find another candidate like Oberweiss or Brady who run on conservative social issues instead of focusing on state financial issues- then No, Quinn WILL be re-elected.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Judy Barr Topinka is looking pretty good about now!

We need someone to at least shine alight on the business community.

For instance Rham shining a light on the business climate of Chicago.

Then I was thinking some of this back lash could be because Obama is from Illinois.
Just makes me wonder if somehow this is getting twisted in the bad mouthing of the staten

I see your point with Brady we need some one to take the bull by the horns and not get so enarmored with the social issues of Illinois as that is always going to be a very touchy subject and with valid reason.

For me Quinn totally lost my support when he increased the tax rate from its original set point.

I dont necessarily disagree with everything he stands for but in the big picture he has just been so untruthful on such important matters.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM

58 posts, read 138,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Exactly. Most of us wouldn't know a London, Berlin, Athens, Tokyo suburb. Easier to say largest big city. To add accuracy implement how far from Chicago using time or distance. If person is interested they will inquire for more dtails on exact location.
This is not the best point. In London and Berlin (I can't speak for the other cities), "suburbs" don't stretch out further than a few miles from the central city. For example, I stayed with a friend for a few months who lived in Wittenberg, Germany. This was considered a free-standing city, NOT a "suburb" of Berlin. Wittenberg and Berlin are about as far apart as Kenosha and Chicago. Wittenberg and Berlin are also connected by train, just like Kenosha and Chicago are. But very few people in their right mind would ever consider Wittenberg a suburb of Berlin, and no one I met every commuted that distance to work. Berlin was a conveniently close large city - nothing more.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
My goodness! This thread has come back? The sad fact is there has been so little development that the boundaries of "country" have barely moved. Regarding Europe, I have heard that commuting from 160 km (100 miles) is becoming more common as high speed trains can cover the distance in under an hour.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM

11 posts, read 23,145 times
The easiest drive to get into the country is Morris; don't be discouraged at 47&80. Go south on 47 to Rt.6 west. Welcome to country, corn country. Downtown Morris is also a genuine old fashioned downtown, from there you can walk the I&M canal trail west or east. You can also head North on 47 to farm country to Yorkville, then west on 34 to Sandwich, Plano and beyond. Take 52west at Rt.55 toward Mendota; or go 55 further south to Dwight, and further into McLean county and see why we that live south of Rt. 80 know that there is a lot more to Illinois than Chicago. At the end of July, and some time even at the beginng try some of that sweetcorn from Glasscock's (stands all over Joliet) Coldwater in Ellwood, or any stand by the side of the roads in Wilmington, Essex, South Wilmington, Gardener, or Dwight. Morris' Minookas' and Plainfields' are'nt too shabby either. It's all good, but you can get the stuff that just pops off the ear, and is,nt at all pulpy or mushy. There's a little stand at Rt.6 and Mckinley Woods road in Channahon.... I guess you'll just have to try it. It's like trying to tell someone why pizza in Chicago is better than anyplace else.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:05 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peavoe View Post
... Gardener, or Dwight.
That's Gardner, ol' buddy. Years ago I had a BMW E30 and would hit the blacktop south out of Gardner towards Chatsworth at up to 110 mph. Only when the corn was low, and only for a half mile or so; I never had the guts to go longer. I sure did sweat a lot during that half mile. I knew where the few farmhouses were situated, but if anyone, human or animal, had stepped out into that road, well I don't want to think about it. Thank God for watching over nuts like me.

As for Dwight, I stole two cats (mistreated mousers) from a farmer near Saunemin, about 16 miles south of Dwight on 47. I named the male "Dwight." He's about 16 years old now and I still have him. He's black & white and not the sharpest tack in the box, but he would have been long dead by now, roadkill on 47. I also have the other cat, probably his niece, a foxy orange cat, who remained kitten-sized and whom we named "Vixen." She is smarter than her uncle Dwight; females (of all species) usually are.

So your forum name is "peavoe"? Hmm. You are not Polish are you? If you are, then "Jak się masz?"

I am glad to have stumbled upon your post. I don't visit this forum often. You brought back old memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs