Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times

Advertisements

Glencoe according to the last community survey I saw was less than half Jewish (around 40% as I recall). There are several Christian churches within the community. There are definitely Catholic families in Glencoe and I know of two LDS "Mormon" families living in the community. There is a good amount of religious diversity. It has also been my perception that the North Shore has been losing many of its strongly Jewish communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 06:11 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Back in the 1950s, Glencoe had housing covenants which forbid sales to Jews and Blacks. Other housing covenants existed for Italians and Hispanics. Glencoe became Jewish in the late 1960s early 1970s after Wilmette. Perhaps a lot of the Jewish people you met were in Wilmette, Northbrook, Glenview, and Highland Park.

Historically Highland Park and Deerfield have been Jewish and still are Jewish.

Buffalo Grove not until the 1980s and into the 1990s as well as the northern portions of Arlington Heights, Palatine, and a part of Wheeling. At this point, Buffalo Grove has followed the trend of AH and Wheeling and is less Jewish than in the 1990s.

Skokie has a large percentage of Orthodox Jews, but is also far less Jewish than until the mid 1980s.
actually Highland Park has been strongly Jewish far, far longer than Deerfield. Indeed, few Jews lived in Deerfield in the 1950s and early 1960s, a time when Highland Park was strongly Jewish.

Highland Park was the most welcoming of communities to Jews. Before WWII, there were some Jewish summer home compounds in the city and that atmosphere led to it becoming the most enduring suburban community for Jewish life in Chicagoland.

I agree with you about Skokie. Along with the super orthodox (mostly, I believe, around Dempster and Crawford, centered in Timber Ridge), Skokie still has a good sized older Jewish community in many of the larger condo buildings. In the more typical, mainstream Jews, those with families in single family homes, I think Devonshire stayed more Jewish than much of the village...I don't know if that is still true today.

Among communities not mentioned, one would have to put Northbrook on the list of places with a strong Jewish community. Evanston traditionally has had a good sized Jewish population, but in Evanston it tends to be far more integrated in the community at large. It would be hard to find any area in Evanston that has a "Jewish feel" to it, but years ago (again in the post-WWII era) southwest Evanston (west of Asbury, south of Oakton) had a good sized Jewish community.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:12 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
It has also been my perception that the North Shore has been losing many of its strongly Jewish communities.
that would definitely be true of west Wilmette

Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
The Jewish population is more spread out in the suburbs than 30 years ago. In 1980, the heavily Jewish areas were Evanston/Skokie, Highland Park/Northbrook. Jews were starting to move into Deerfield, Glencoe, Wilmette, and Glenview. Also, smaller numbers to Wheeling/Prospect Heights/Buffalo Grove.

By 2000, Highland Park/Northbrook/Deerfield remained #1 and Buffalo Grove #2. By 2010, major declines everywhere except for Highland Park/Northbrook/Deerfield. Lots of young Jewish families moving to Vernon Hills, Mundelein, Grayslake area now. And a few into DuPage County even.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
By the way, Skokie Country Club in Glencoe, has quite a few Jewish members. I am a member. We don't 'exclude' anybody. It is however not a heavily Jewish club, mostly Christian backgrounds.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 PM

172 posts, read 315,987 times
It's all diverse. There is a mosque in northbrook, mosque in Deerfield, mosque in Evanston etc etc, I doubt anyone will feel excluded.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:56 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
Jews and Italians are generally shut out of the big hedge fund firms in NYC. Read a book called the Wolf of Wall Street, it's a true story. The film Boiler Room is based on the firm in the book.
That's ridiculous. The largest hedge fund is Bridgewater, headed by Ray Dalio (Italian). The second largest is AQR, headed by Cliff Asness (Jewish). I could go on and on. I don't need to read a book about it, I work in the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs