Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM

31 posts, read 42,102 times

Advertisements

Hi my family and I are moving to chicago from colorado where my husband will be working in the Waukegan area and I too was wanting to know some areas that would be good to live. we love the great outdoors so were wanting to find a place with a nice yrd not to suburbia like though i was wondering if areas like ingleside or park lake are nice and safe and also what the elementary schools are like and if anyone had other suggestions we would be happy up in wisconsin too as long as its not too much of a drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 PM

545 posts, read 1,484,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwid View Post
Hi my family and I are moving to chicago from colorado where my husband will be working in the Waukegan area and I too was wanting to know some areas that would be good to live. we love the great outdoors so were wanting to find a place with a nice yrd not to suburbia like though i was wondering if areas like ingleside or park lake are nice and safe and also what the elementary schools are like and if anyone had other suggestions we would be happy up in wisconsin too as long as its not too much of a drive.
What's your budget if you don't mind me asking? That will determine a lot. I work in Waukegan and lived in Kenosha and Pleasant Prairie, WI for a little while, now living just west of Gurnee (renting for now while we figure out where we want to live).

Ingleside/Fox Lake is kind of far (time wise) from Waukegan. I live in Lake Villa, which is a little further east and it usually takes me 30-35 minutes in the morning and around 40 coming home. Not bad by Chicago standards, but Fox Lake is another 15-20 on top of that. It's not a bad area, but a lot of that area is vacation homes versus year round residents. I don't know much about the schools, but if I had to venture a guess they're probably fine but nothing special. I do worry about what's going to happen these far flung areas going forward. Schools pretty much determine the property value around here and there are many towns that have high property taxes without the strong schools to go along with them. I would be very leery of buying in an area like this, which many of the far flung areas are.

Personally, and if your budget can swing it, I would look at Libertyville. It's definitely suburban, but not suburbia if you know what I mean. The houses are mostly turn of the century through the 60s, has a walkable main street with tons of shops and restaurants, and excellent schools.

If you're looking for something similar to Fox Lake/Ingleside, also check out Wauconda. It's further south, so it's closer to the action and amenities and less resort town like, but it still has a rural/small town flavor. It's pretty reasonably priced as well. The schools are good, but not great.

Your best bet in Wisconsin is Pleasant Prairie, which is right on the border. It's about a 20-25 minute drive to Waukegan from most parts of town. I really liked PP when I lived there. Tons of shopping and restaurants on the west side of town along Hwy 50 and the outlet mall near the border, a great recreation area (Rec Plex), very reasonably priced housing, and generally lower property taxes than IL. The school district (KUSD) is fine, but again not great. I will say that the elementary schools that PP residents attend are the best in the district. For high schools, I would recommend you make sure that the area you are looking at goes to Tremper versus Indian Trail. IT is newer, but covers some of the rougher areas of the City of Kenosha. I know some teachers in the district and from what they tell me it was rough going when it opened in 2010. Things may have gotten better since then though. Tremper, by all accounts, is a solid high school.

Good luck! If there are any other questions you have feel free to ask.

Last edited by brian571; 09-05-2013 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs