Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 AM

36 posts, read 105,809 times

Advertisements

The thread about which suburbs are their "own little worlds" was fascinating. But it was quickly apparent that most towns as a whole have more in common with their immediate neighbors than differences.

But dig deeper into communities and neighborhoods WITHIN towns and it's a different story.

Examples:
* There is the neighborhood called Stonegate in Arlington Heights that is a wonderful tight-knit community, with a year-round schedule of neighborly activities, and a very distinct look and feel from the area that surrounds it.
* Edgebrook on Chicago's NW side is nothing like what one expects when hearing of Chicago.
* Even deeper into the city, turn east of Pulaski near Addison and you're in "La Villa", full of charming houses and landscaped streets.

Where else are these hidden treasures of neighborhoods? Does any one have any candidates from within Elmhurst, Glenview, or others of the big towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Any olders near a metra station.

I appreciate the thread you expanded on, based on my own restarting on a old thread. But I think, we can only go so far in subdivided places. Although I think doing it for the city of Chicago makes sense however, because the city is so huge, that there is true variation.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
Better yet, which blocks in which neighborhoods in which suburbs are there own little worlds?

Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,491,199 times
Should this list include gated communities? Or is that too easy?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:31 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
prairiestate,

152nd & Broadway(Harvey,IL)- Close knit block of South Asian muslims and there is a Mosque located on the north end of the corner.

Northside Chicago Heights- The solid middle class part of the heights.

Harlem Ave.(Little Arabia) in Bridgeview

Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,900 times
This thread is too specific. I feel like there is a neighborhood called "Cedar Run" in every village.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
The backlot neighborhood in Evanston is definitely its own little world. They have a neighborhood float in the 4th of July parade every year and everyone helps build it.

Backlot Neighborhood | The Best Place in Evanston

The park is near Hartrey and Colfax streets, I believe. The neighborhood is bounded by Hartrey, Colfax, Grant and Pioneer with some houses behind these streets as well. The park is inside the neighborhood, not on the streets, hidden inside.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM

139 posts, read 380,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
The thread about which suburbs are their "own little worlds" was fascinating. But it was quickly apparent that most towns as a whole have more in common with their immediate neighbors than differences.

But dig deeper into communities and neighborhoods WITHIN towns and it's a different story.

Examples:
* There is the neighborhood called Stonegate in Arlington Heights that is a wonderful tight-knit community, with a year-round schedule of neighborly activities, and a very distinct look and feel from the area that surrounds it.
* Edgebrook on Chicago's NW side is nothing like what one expects when hearing of Chicago.
* Even deeper into the city, turn east of Pulaski near Addison and you're in "La Villa", full of charming houses and landscaped streets.

Where else are these hidden treasures of neighborhoods? Does any one have any candidates from within Elmhurst, Glenview, or others of the big towns?
Is egdebrook a nice neighborhood, or is it bad, i can't understand which one you were saying? Im pretty sure u meant it to be good though

Old 02-22-2011, 04:12 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Village of Golf is its own little world.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:15 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packmanbears View Post
Is egdebrook a nice neighborhood, or is it bad, i can't understand which one you were saying? Im pretty sure u meant it to be good though
It has a very suburban feel despite being part of the city of Chicago. I think the OP meant it in a good way. (He should bone up on Chicago; there are many neighborhoods with a suburban feel, especially on the far northwest and far south side, so Edgebrook is not all that unique.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs