Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 04:21 AM

5 posts, read 6,496 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

At the advice of the folks on the chicago forum I thought I would post here as well.

I'm living in the UK and have been for the past 15 years. I am coming back to IL in the next 3 months and looking around Chicago for places to live. My parents are based near Wisconsin but I don't want to commute more than about 30 minutes to work so living up there is not really an option unless they've really improved the metra in the last 15 years. (yeah right)

I was wondering if the forum could recommend decent 'burbs around chicago for the following:

1. 30 minute commute (train as work is right by Union Station or EL to Centre of the loop) I'm thinking Oak Park... Norwood...etc are about 30 mins by metra. I don't know the CTA well enough.
2. Safe enough to let my cats outside (won't get shot, hit by cars or eaten!!) - Cat Friendly garden apartments
3. Quiet area with some nature nearby - woods etc
4. Easy access to the city for museums, art, theatre, music and the occasional night of dancing on the tiles.
5. Reasonable rents or reasonable mortgages ($1000-$2000 per month)
6. Reasonable amount of single people to couples with kids.

I don't need a lot of space a it's just my 3 cats and I. I come from a country with very little personal space so a 10,000 sq ft loft doesn't really suit but a little house/apt with a garden would be perfect.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers,

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs