Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,080 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Chicago no later than early January from Woodmore Maryland. My husband has recently accepted a partnership at a law firm in downtown Chicago, but we prefer to live in the suburbs. We were in chicago looking at several homes mainly in the suburbs south of chicago last week. Several homes in the Flossmoor estates area, the greens subdivision in Olympia Fields, Maynegate, and the Graymoor subdivision. We love the upscale areas and subdivisions around Volmer road and Western avenue. We will be looking to make an offer within the next few weeks. Anyone familiar with these areas or who lives around them who can give us a little insight? Much appreciated.

Last edited by woodmoore38; 10-28-2010 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:41 PM

74 posts, read 167,116 times
Just to offer some insight - Flossmoor is still quite nice but is kind of a "white island" so to speak. I have no idea of your ethnicity, but I thought you may want to know either way.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,042,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmoore38 View Post
My family and I are moving to Chicago no later than early January from Woodmore Maryland. My husband has recently accepted a partnership at a law firm in downtown Chicago, but we prefer to live in the suburbs. We were in chicago looking at several homes mainly in the suburbs south of chicago last week. Several homes in the Flossmoor estates area, the greens subdivision in Olympia Fields, Maynegate, and the Graymoor subdivision. We love the upscale areas and subdivisions around Volmer road and Western avenue. We will be looking to make an offer within the next few weeks. Anyone familiar with these areas or who lives around them who can give us a little insight? Much appreciated.
All great choices for an upscale home buyer. What is that you want to know?

R Kelly has a house in Maynegate. Don't be alarmed because in all my time spent in Olympia Fields, I've never spotted him and I don't know anyone else who has either. It's very strange, actually. I wonder how he manages to hide so well.

Last edited by urza216; 10-29-2010 at 01:05 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacas1 View Post
Just to offer some insight - Flossmoor is still quite nice but is kind of a "white island" so to speak. I have no idea of your ethnicity, but I thought you may want to know either way.
Oh, and the OP said she and her husband were looking at houses in Olympia Fields and Flossmoor. So obviously she's ventured outside of Flossmoor - a town that isn't even whiter than too many other towns in the area, anyway.

Flossmoor, Homewood and Olympia Fields together form an affluent "island" but not a white island. In fact, I'm sure there are more whites in Steger and South Chicago Heights than Flossmoor or Olympia Fields.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,472,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmoore38 View Post
My family and I are moving to Chicago no later than early January from Woodmoore Maryland. My husband has recently accepted a partnership at a law firm in downtown Chicago, but we prefer to live in the suburbs. We were in chicago looking at several homes mainly in the suburbs south of chicago last week. Several homes in the Flossmoor estates area, the greens subdivision in Olympia Fields, Maynegate, and the Graymoor subdivision. We love the upscale areas and subdivisions around Volmer road and Western avenue. We will be looking to make an offer within the next few weeks. Anyone familiar with these areas or who lives around them who can give us a little insight? Much appreciated.
The homes in those areas are all very nice. If you have any children that are high school aged and do NOT want to feel like you have to send them to private school, then I would choose Flossmoor. They would go to Homewood-Flossmoor High School which is the best (by a longshot) public high school in the south suburbs and is still a very good school.

I have a question though. Where is Woodmoore? I know exactly where Woodmore is but not Woodmoore?

(I'm not trying to be funny; I'm asking because there really are towns in the same state that differentiate by only one or two letters )

Old 10-29-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Boy, you sure do know how to overreact.
I prabobly did overreact, yeah..

I also wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a really long thread where I'm not the only one overacting to things. Eventually civility breaks down and after fifteen pages the thread is closed. This happens often when someone starts a thread about the south suburbs. Meanwhile, people looking to live in the North Shore get solid advice with no BS.

Last edited by urza216; 10-29-2010 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-29-2010, 06:23 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,179,362 times
Default Just to clarify...

The OP did not mention why they were considering a home in the south suburbs with a job downtown. If it is a racial thing that is a fair assumption, but there are other reason to live south...

Old 10-29-2010, 07:17 AM

17,212 posts, read 14,508,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP did not mention why they were considering a home in the south suburbs with a job downtown. If it is a racial thing that is a fair assumption, but there are other reason to live south...

It's a fair assumption that they are an AA couple as they're moving from a town in Prince George county which happens to be one of the most affluent African American communities in the country.

Though it is a curious thing that the OP spelled their town wrong in the original post (before they edited it) AND in their screen name.

But any way alle ... er, woodmoore38, if you have children, and I would assume your husband's salary is quite generous and could place you in most any suburb in the Chicagoland area, I would look for properties that fell in a better school district.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:52 AM

829 posts, read 2,083,051 times
I think any of those neighborhoods would make a smart choice. Those are by far the most affluent areas south of chicago and among the most affluent suburban areas in chicagoland. The areas residents are mostly professional families, many of them are african american, and the area has one of the highest median household incomes in chicagoland. Current home prices in the area are significantly lower than almost any affluent area with such a high median household income in the chicagoland area. Probably much lower than where you are moving from so you will probably see the area as a great bargain. I live in olympia fields. But, unfortunately there aren't many homes currently listed do to the down market. There are only 42 single family homes and 5 townhomes on the market in olympia fields. But, I am sure you can still find what you are looking for. Flossmoor estates has some very lovely homes currently on the market also. Many of the public and most of the private school choices are excellent and not many other areas can compare to the great school options that are available to families in the area.

Last edited by allen2323; 10-29-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 11:05 AM

829 posts, read 2,083,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I prabobly did overreact, yeah..

I also wouldn't be surprised if this turns into a really long thread where I'm not the only one overacting to things. Eventually civility breaks down and after fifteen pages the thread is closed. This happens often when someone starts a thread about the south suburbs. Meanwhile, people looking to live in the North Shore get solid advice with no BS.

I agree. The racial banter gets pretty high for no apparent reason whenever an accurate positive response about the area is mentioned. It's funny, because the actual racial tension in the area is so low and really nonexistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs