Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times

Advertisements

some other thoughts on Wilmette:

its east/west layout give is one of the shortest lakefronts of any North Shore suburb. Indeed, the amount of its perimeter actually make up of lakefront is smaller than any North Shore community.

Most North Shore suburbs (i.e. Winnetka, Glencoe, Kenilworth) maintain a "real" North Shore location throughout the community.

Wilmette is one that does not. I find west Wilmette to be a true extension of Skokie, with no parallel in the towns I mentioned above.

It's like Highland Park, where areas west of 41 are less North Shore. Or Evanston where the western portions of the community and the apartment complexes to the south are not very North Shore compared to the Evanston lakefront and the north and northwest portions of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM

69 posts, read 231,651 times
This is a pretty fair assessment of the NS communities. The uniformity that you get with Winnetka and Kenilworth specifically cannot be achieved in the larger suburbs of Highland Park and Wilmette. One might wonder how does west Winnetka compare to East Wilmette/HP?

What are your thoughts about Lake Forest? Does this East/West differential exist there?

SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
some other thoughts on Wilmette:

its east/west layout give is one of the shortest lakefronts of any North Shore suburb. Indeed, the amount of its perimeter actually make up of lakefront is smaller than any North Shore community.

Most North Shore suburbs (i.e. Winnetka, Glencoe, Kenilworth) maintain a "real" North Shore location throughout the community.

Wilmette is one that does not. I find west Wilmette to be a true extension of Skokie, with no parallel in the towns I mentioned above.

It's like Highland Park, where areas west of 41 are less North Shore. Or Evanston where the western portions of the community and the apartment complexes to the south are not very North Shore compared to the Evanston lakefront and the north and northwest portions of the city.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skontoller View Post
T. One might wonder how does west Winnetka compare to East Wilmette/HP?

SK
To start with, Wilmette has an east-west orientation, keeping inland areas far from the lake and part of a post WWII settlement pattern that went along the lines of Far North Side to Lincolnwood to Skokie to west Wilmette; Winnetka doesn't.

Also, Highland Park extends west of the Edens/Skokie Highway route; Winnetka doesn't.

And to boot, Winnetka and Glencoe are defined by a natural western boundary...the Skokie Lagoons....that keep all areas between the lake and the lagoons as part of the same North Shore zone.

IMHO opinion only Kenilworth, Winnetka, and Glencoe are "pure North Shore", with no part of any of the three villages not conveying the essence of North Shore living.

Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 PM

69 posts, read 231,651 times
So by that logic Lake Forest does not have the uniform "pure North Shore" vibe throughout either

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
To start with, Wilmette has an east-west orientation, keeping inland areas far from the lake and part of a post WWII settlement pattern that went along the lines of Far North Side to Lincolnwood to Skokie to west Wilmette; Winnetka doesn't.

Also, Highland Park extends west of the Edens/Skokie Highway route; Winnetka doesn't.

And to boot, Winnetka and Glencoe are defined by a natural western boundary...the Skokie Lagoons....that keep all areas between the lake and the lagoons as part of the same North Shore zone.

IMHO opinion only Kenilworth, Winnetka, and Glencoe are "pure North Shore", with no part of any of the three villages not conveying the essence of North Shore living.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 PM

32 posts, read 164,151 times
Hey everybody...New Yorker here (Long Island). I actually came to the Chicago suburbs forum for info on Winnetka, and I got plenty of great info on this thread alone. From what I understand, the movie Home Alone was filmed (or at least took place) in Winnetka, correct? From what it looked like there, I would imagine it's just like some of the higher end suburbs of NYC that we have here on the north shore of Long Island...very nice. How many people live there? Is it considered a town, or village? I see the houses are expensive, but how are rent prices for apartments? I read that there is one definite problem area for traffic (by some railroad crossing?) Is traffic ok otherwise? Is there a downtown area? Cool bars and restaurants? I don't mean to be annoying by asking all these questions LOL. Thanks to everybody in advance that can answer for me.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Winnetka is essentially a small town - population is around 15,000, I think. Most residents are in their 30s and 40s

Winnetka has some downtown areas
Winnetka downtown - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yonorthshore/sets/72157594199593315/ - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJsx999UQE4

Where will you be working? That would be pertinent to the traffic question
There are not many bars or cool restaurants, imo, but you would not be far from Evanston or the north side of Chicago where there are many options for food.

I also don't believe you will find many apartments in Winnetka.

You are correct that Home Alone was filmed in Winnetka. Actually several movies have taken place in the surrounding areas as well. Ordinary People was filmed in Wilmette.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Winnetka is essentially a small town - population is around 15,000, I think. Most residents are in their 30s and 40s

Winnetka has some downtown areas
Winnetka downtown - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/yonorthshore/sets/72157594199593315/ - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJsx999UQE4

Where will you be working? That would be pertinent to the traffic question
There are not many bars or cool restaurants, imo, but you would not be far from Evanston or the north side of Chicago where there are many options for food.

I also don't believe you will find many apartments in Winnetka.

You are correct that Home Alone was filmed in Winnetka. Actually several movies have taken place in the surrounding areas as well. Ordinary People was filmed in Wilmette.
Thank you very much! This was very helpful. I'm not moving there...at least not yet, I look forward to visiting Chicago and the surrounding area.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:21 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL631 View Post
Thank you very much! This was very helpful. I'm not moving there...at least not yet, I look forward to visiting Chicago and the surrounding area.
The closest match to Winnetka(demographics/income) on the North Shore would be Northport. The closest match if you include all of NY's suburbs would be Darien, CT.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
The closest match to Winnetka(demographics/income) on the North Shore would be Northport. The closest match if you include all of NY's suburbs would be Darien, CT.
Wow...Northport? Thats interesting, I wouldn't even have thought of Northport as a Long Island comparison. From what I've heard and seen, I would have thought it was more like Manhasset, on Nassau County's North shore. Are you from L.I.? Thanks for the input as well.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,337 times
The thing about West Lake Forest is it is dotted with McMansions & subdivisions unlike west Wilmette. edsg25 mentioned that west Wilmette's housing layout (and structure of the housing) bears resemblance to Skokie. West Lake Forest doesn't look anything like Skokie, but definitely shares a lot in common with say, Bannockburn, or maybe Lincolnshire and parts of Riverwoods. And all of those towns do not border the lakefront either, but have a lot of the newer subdivisions & mansions in the northern suburbs whereas the east side of Lake Forest & Lake Bluff seems to have more of the classic old estates (also mansions). For example, take a look at some of the homes along Lake Road in Lake Forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skontoller View Post
So by that logic Lake Forest does not have the uniform "pure North Shore" vibe throughout either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs