Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
I'd personally look in Lake County as well as we have cheaper taxes than Cook County (7% vs 10/10.5%). Lake Zurich is also good for schools and education.
True and no C(r)ook county government. BUT, sometimes property taxes are higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM

17 posts, read 71,749 times
Mount Prospect. This year it won the national award as the best community to raise children. South of Golf Rd there are a lot of apartments, but there is also many single family homes also. The North East section of town is the older homes built after WW 2. But sad to say, Cook county is a not tax friendly to anyone.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:46 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
I am a Mt. Prospect fan. The sections near the Mt. Prospect Golf Club are really pretty. Some nice sections S. of Golf Rd., but I prefer sections north. Also like the neighborhood west of Lions Park. Dist 57 and Prospect are very good schools, but Dist 26 is pretty good as is Hersey HS.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:07 PM

163 posts, read 452,611 times
It's hard to recommend an area when you don't say what you're looking for in a house. How much land are you looking for or would you prefer a townhouse with no land at all? Is a 3br acceptable, do you want 4br so each kid can have their own room and how many bathrooms do you want? Is square footage more important than the number of rooms or vice versa? Would you prefer older or newer construction? Are you looking for a small town feel, someplace with a nice downtown, walkability, public transportation, more kid or adult oriented entertainment options, access to major expressways, dual income neighbors or lots of stay at home moms at the park with their kids.

Without knowing what's important to you all the rest of us can do is tell you what we like which may or may not be relevant or helpful to you.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrcloud View Post
It's hard to recommend an area when you don't say what you're looking for in a house. How much land are you looking for or would you prefer a townhouse with no land at all? Is a 3br acceptable, do you want 4br so each kid can have their own room and how many bathrooms do you want? Is square footage more important than the number of rooms or vice versa? Would you prefer older or newer construction? Are you looking for a small town feel, someplace with a nice downtown, walkability, public transportation, more kid or adult oriented entertainment options, access to major expressways, dual income neighbors or lots of stay at home moms at the park with their kids.

Without knowing what's important to you all the rest of us can do is tell you what we like which may or may not be relevant or helpful to you.
Giving the work locale, housing budget and importance of schools was enough for folks to give recommendations. The home price alone limits certain options with that desired location area.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
OK, so could somebody tell me what the heck is wrong with living in Schaumburg, going to district 54 and 211 schools??? I raised my kids there back in the late 80s and early 90s. It was an excellent school district at that time. So what happened? Why isn't anyone recommending them now? I live in AZ now, but always try to keep in the loop when it comes to Schaumburg.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OK, so could somebody tell me what the heck is wrong with living in Schaumburg, going to district 54 and 211 schools??? I raised my kids there back in the late 80s and early 90s. It was an excellent school district at that time. So what happened? Why isn't anyone recommending them now? I live in AZ now, but always try to keep in the loop when it comes to Schaumburg.
AFAIK, there's nothing wrong with either district - it's just that there are better public schools in the area, namely Dist 220.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 AM

17 posts, read 71,749 times
The problem with the Schaumburg area is the traffic. No saying the se-rounding town's do not have traffic, but the Schaumburg area has a lot more. The only rapid transit to and from that area is by bus, where towns like Mt Prospect, they also have train service to the city, and a short bus ride to the rapid transit lines, plus less than 20 min to O'Hare field.
With todays economy, look for the best house you can afford, then weigh the plus and minus of the town, schools, taxes, crime rate. Most of these towns are around 40,000 to 50,000 people, so all can not be bad.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,327 times
Actually, if the OP is going to be working in Schaumburg, the traffic point is moot. I live in Schaumburg and have never found the traffic to be all that bad (on the west end). I tend to avoid Golf Road and use Schaumburg Road instead or various other ways.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
I'd personally look in Lake County as well as we have cheaper taxes than Cook County (7% vs 10/10.5%). Lake Zurich is also good for schools and education.
Sales tax might be less but take a look at property tax!

Actually OP I don't know what property tax is doing where you are coming from but you might want to reconsider how much house you can afford when you see the $8-10K property tax bills that most Lake County houses are coming with these days. It's certainly made us rethink our home buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs