Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM

378 posts, read 1,284,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are no schools within 100 miles of the Loop that are not infested by gangs. Even uppity schools like New Trier have them. Although there are dozens of gangs, they are all basically part of 2 big "nations". One is the Peoples Nation and gangs like the Latin Kings belong to this. They use a 5 point star and an upward facing pitchfork as their symbol. Members of this gang often wear Converse All Star shoes. The other gang nation is the Folks Nation. To this belong gangs like the Black Gangster Disciple Nation. They use a six point star and a pitchfork turned downward as their symbol. How much control they have over a school is the only question you need an answer to. If they are a small group of rebels, you need not worry about them too much. But if they are a larger and more organized group that has considerable control and influence over the daily operation and administration of the school, then you adopt. You can either join the gang or "nation" yourself or just remain neutral "a neutron". Whatever you do you will not want to wear the symbols of the other nation because, while gangs of a nation are usually allied, gangs of the other nation are sworn enemies. And there are no schools that have both nations in them. Either one or the other runs the show at each school.
new trier has gangs? i went to nt and never saw anything resembling gang activity. sure there were some drug dealers who have probably had their hands on a gun at one point, but no gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:33 PM

342 posts, read 1,227,620 times
everyone has gangs, except maybe geneva. It isn't really a problem in st charles or batavia or places by there.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:36 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,213,612 times
Gangs are everywhere.
Some are lame wannabes who would crap their pants in a Cook County though.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:22 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,633,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Gangs are everywhere.
Some are lame wannabes who would mess in their pants in a Cook County though.
True. But sometimes the wannabes are dangerous because they feel like they have something to prove.

But I was amazed in High School in the early 90s when I saw the franchising efforts that gangs were making into even the smallest high schools. They will initiate just a couple members and use them to traffic drugs and stolen firearms. And these "seed" members will bring in some wannabes who want to feel tough.

Last edited by linicx; 10-26-2009 at 06:44 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 02:35 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,874,680 times
Be careful about those convincing you that all the schools are infested with gangs. My son went to Wheaton Warrenville South which is a wonderful school. I'm sure there may be gang members who attend the school, but it was not a problem. If your child is especially drawn to gangs or that life style, it may become an issue. My son was not aware of a gang presence there at all.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,193,978 times
I would focus on the quality of the education in a particular school. What are the course offerings? What are the test scores? What's the demographics like? What is the administration and their attitude like? Be careful to differentiate hearsay from actual facts.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,906,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
new trier has gangs? i went to nt and never saw anything resembling gang activity. sure there were some drug dealers who have probably had their hands on a gun at one point, but no gangs.
The person you are quoting claims New Trier HS has a Latin Kings presence. Out of over 3000 students, only about 70 or so are hispanic. Im seriously doubting there is any Latin King presence within that school.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 17,448 times
my daughter goes to hoffman estates highschool. There is definitley a gang presence being that we get all the lower income - section 8 housing. Hoffman is not a very good living area unless you can afford the nicer side. We are not to the likes of aurora or elgin ... yet. but living here for 5 years ive seen hoffman get more ghetto each year. I moved from chicago to hoffman to get a "better environment" for my daughter & i strongly regret it. Hoffman gets worse every year. Although the other d211 schools seem to be a lot nicer , being that we are surrounded by higher class suburbs like Barrington & Schaumburg. I would not recommend moving to Hoffman.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:09 PM

342 posts, read 1,227,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastave13z View Post
dont go to streamwood high school theres vicelords ,kings ,13s,maniacs,sds,gds,folks,26,p13,14s,dks, they all go to streamwood high because they are from hanover park but hanover park doesnt have a high school thats how poor we are in hanover park.hanover park has a lot of gangs dont go thru there or youl get shot at.
hanover park is very safe and very rich.

Last edited by linicx; 10-26-2009 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: language

Old 05-24-2009, 04:37 PM

863 posts, read 2,774,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madylynne View Post
my daughter goes to hoffman estates highschool. There is definitley a gang presence being that we get all the lower income - section 8 housing. Hoffman is not a very good living area unless you can afford the nicer side. We are not to the likes of aurora or elgin ... yet. but living here for 5 years ive seen hoffman get more ghetto each year. I moved from chicago to hoffman to get a "better environment" for my daughter & i strongly regret it. Hoffman gets worse every year. Although the other d211 schools seem to be a lot nicer , being that we are surrounded by higher class suburbs like Barrington & Schaumburg. I would not recommend moving to Hoffman.
And now freakin' Hoffman Estates is "ghetto"??!? Come on, people. It's getting harder and harder to read this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs