Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 05:22 PM

60 posts, read 291,744 times

Advertisements

We want an awesome, interesting play structure for the kids in the back yard. My kids want a tree house, but we don't have any full-grown trees that are in just our yard. Maybe we could raise up some kind of playhouse, but we don't have the skill to do that ourselves. Does anyone know of a person or company that designs and builds wonderful raised forts or treehouses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:01 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Mom View Post
We want an awesome, interesting play structure for the kids in the back yard. My kids want a tree house, but we don't have any full-grown trees that are in just our yard. Maybe we could raise up some kind of playhouse, but we don't have the skill to do that ourselves. Does anyone know of a person or company that designs and builds wonderful raised forts or treehouses?
Google: it's a great thing!

Old 07-13-2009, 03:42 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Try Rainbow Play Systems or Dehne in Northbrook.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:56 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,182 times
Yes, you need to bring the kids to Rainbow systems in naperville. It is jaw dropping. They can test out all of the playsets in an huge indoor showroom. Low pressure sales. Excellent quality.

Oh, and bring 5-10K.

I did it though and don't regret at penny. a great business.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Another idea is to see if your neighbors know any good contractors. A good GC might be able to build you a more custom/tree-house oriented unit, at or below the Rainbow cost. We went to Dehne, Playground Equipment - Dehne Lawn & Leisure, Inc.. becasue it was much cheaper than Rainbow. Out in the western burbs, off Finley and I-88 is Warnecke (Spelling?) and they sell playsets also.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The Morton Arboretum is, as you might suspect, a great resource. They advocate that all tree houses should be self supporting for safety and the health of the tree. The had a competition with some wild architects building awesome tree house / play towers a few years back. I think the resources they list have some plans.

It is easier than building a deck, becuase you don't need stairs or an attachment to your house and the skills are pretty basic. If you can set piers, cut posts and use a level you could probably knock it out in a weekend or two.

Branch Out And Build A Treehouse

Old 07-13-2009, 05:37 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The Morton Arboretum is, as you might suspect, a great resource. They advocate that all tree houses should be self supporting for safety and the health of the tree. The had a competition with some wild architects building awesome tree house / play towers a few years back. I think the resources they list have some plans.

It is easier than building a deck, becuase you don't need stairs or an attachment to your house and the skills are pretty basic. If you can set piers, cut posts and use a level you could probably knock it out in a weekend or two.

Branch Out And Build A Treehouse

Chet, Excellent info, where were you when I invested $$$$ in a Rainbow playset, only to watch my son climb and play in the trees AROUND it. You are one of CD's greatest informational resources. Anyone want to buy a playset at a discount?

Last edited by nanannie; 07-13-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 AM

60 posts, read 291,744 times
Well, I did try Google first, and found all the regular playset companies like Rainbow. I'm imagining something different, like a mini Swiss Family Robinson house with a swing underneath, or maybe a zip line. I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that without a big tree, and make it look cool enough for my kids to use for years to come. I'd love to find a contractor who has made something like this before. I'll check the Morton site next - thanks, Chet!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:21 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
It's been a few years, but we purchased an awesome fort/playset for our children out in Yorkville. It was the neatest one we had ever seen with a large variety of options. At the time it was significantly less than Rainbow systems, and we liked that we were supporting a local business. It was actually more like a tree fort with a few swinging areas attached.

I just checked out the website for the place off Finley. The place in Yorkville was nicer because it was all wood--no plastic roofs. I think it was on RT. 34. As I said, it was a few years ago so I know if they are still there. Your might google Yorkville playground equipment to find it. Worth the drive.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's been a few years, but we purchased an awesome fort/playset for our children out in Yorkville. It was the neatest one we had ever seen with a large variety of options. At the time it was significantly less than Rainbow systems, and we liked that we were supporting a local business. It was actually more like a tree fort with a few swinging areas attached.

I just checked out the website for the place off Finley. The place in Yorkville was nicer because it was all wood--no plastic roofs. I think it was on RT. 34. As I said, it was a few years ago so I know if they are still there. Your might google Yorkville playground equipment to find it. Worth the drive.

The place off Finley is called Wannemakers and they do have a nice selection. The place in Yorkville is no longer in business (unless they moved locaitons). I drove past the Yorkville place about 6 months ago and the whole building had changed hands. If you are looking for something custom you may want to find a local carpenter who could design and build something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs