Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM

67 posts, read 182,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post

The love affair with Oak Park is a little nuts in my opinion. Oak Park has a few bars and restaurants, but to be honest, is mostly young families. Sure, it's urban, but it is still not for young singles who want to have a lot of options in the city. Even though the CTA goes to Oak Park, you don't want to be doing that in the early morning hours going thru those neighborhoods to Oak Park.

Oak Park has definitely become the default area when young adults say the word "suburbs." As a young(er) adult who has lived in that area my entire life, it's definitely filled with a lot of young families and some young singles, too. It's not huge on night life, and the Green line is best for commuting downtown in the day.

Neighboring Forest Park, with its quasi Wrigelyville-like atmosphere on Madison, is starting to attract the young-professional-singles crowd, especially since it also is along the Blue line. There's a lot of social outlets there, but not as many as, let's say, the actual Wrigleyville.

A buddy of mine works in Countryside but drives daily from Lincoln Park. He says it's 35 minin the morning and more in the evening because of LSD traffic.

I would suggest the South Loop over the West Loop, if you were planning to remain in the city. The drive is easier, there's nightlife there and it's very easy to get to other parts of the city. The West Loop is growing, but apart from the amenities on Randolph and a few places on Lake St, it's a bunch of cold warehouses-turned-lofts.

UIC-Taylor St is becoming a vibrant neighborhood as well, easy to get to I55 from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 04:45 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Default South Loop

Get a place in the south loop. Near to I55, and the I55 reverse commute is reasonable (as far as Chicago traffic is concerned).

Although Oak Park would be a decent place for a young single, the commute to Burr Ridge would be significantly worse. The reverse direction on I290 is much worse than the reverse direction on I55 - on I290 traffic going out is almost as bad as the traffic coming in. I have known plenty of singles in Oak Park - you can do fine there, there is plenty of "talent," so to speak...

Old 12-05-2010, 05:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Unfortunately most of the city options in Chicago are on the NorthSide... and you are working in a SW suburb...

So as posters said, if you want to not have a huge headache I'd limit your choice to west and south loop areas...

Would also suggest South Loop over West Loop as you can get to other night life areas easier north off the red line...

Old 12-05-2010, 05:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Though West Loop off Lake St. is becoming a huge party area. Plus the cab ride to Bucktown/Wicker Park isn't bad.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
The love affair with Oak Park is a little nuts in my opinion. Oak Park has a few bars and restaurants, but to be honest, is mostly young families. Sure, it's urban, but it is still not for young singles who want to have a lot of options in the city. Even though the CTA goes to Oak Park, you don't want to be doing that in the early morning hours going thru those neighborhoods to Oak Park.
As one of the frequent Oak Park boosters on this site, I'd like to point out that my wife and I are in our mid-to-late thirties and have kids. For me, Oak Park is great. But I would not necessarily recommend Oak Park for a 25-year-old who wants to party close to home. Though it's definitely better than being stuck in Lombard or Prospect Heights if you are said 25-year-old.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:31 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
I agree. If someone needs to live in the west suburbs, Oak Park is a great option. I think it's the best suburban nightlife, better than Evanston. For someone who wants to live in the city though and has the option of city vs. Oak Park, I always say city.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM

77 posts, read 160,590 times
I agree with those that say Oak Park is probably not a great option for a young single that wants to have fun. People here are mostly middle class professional types (I'm a scientist, my live-in girlfriend is a teacher, and there are about 3 other teachers in our apartment building alone.) I am about the same age as the OP but am more focused on my career and studies than socializing. If that's what you like, OP is great (although the restaurants around here are awful and expensive, but it's a quick journey to great food in Berwyn/Cicero and Chicago proper.)

Basically (wrt the young) it's a great place if you want a quiet existence and quick access to other places. It's also quite a tight nit community and very friendly.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
I agree with those that say Oak Park is probably not a great option for a young single that wants to have fun. People here are mostly middle class professional types (I'm a scientist, my live-in girlfriend is a teacher, and there are about 3 other teachers in our apartment building alone.) I am about the same age as the OP but am more focused on my career and studies than socializing. If that's what you like, OP is great (although the restaurants around here are awful and expensive, but it's a quick journey to great food in Berwyn/Cicero and Chicago proper.)

Basically (wrt the young) it's a great place if you want a quiet existence and quick access to other places. It's also quite a tight nit community and very friendly.
What??? Restaurants in Oak Park awful and expensive? What? And Berwyn and Cicero are better??? Maybe for authentic, standard Mexican fare, but thats it. Oak Park restaurants are great. Quick journey to Chicago proper. Yeah, but it takes 20 minutes to downtown. The Green line goes through bombed, abandoned food desert war zone. Oak Park has the best restaurants bar none, for anything within a 7 mile radius around Oak Park.

And seriously, you make Oak Park sound like some country town. It is tight knit and friendly, but common . . . quiet existence and quick access to other places?? Oak Park is not Plainfield or Tinley Park. Oak Park is a gem, and is Chicagoland is lucky to have it.

Yes, its not the kind of place with wild parties, and even though there are many families, there are also many singles. Although, I will admit that Madison St. in Forest Park, is closer to true nightlife (with lots of singles) than Oak Park.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:52 AM

77 posts, read 160,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
What??? Restaurants in Oak Park awful and expensive? What? And Berwyn and Cicero are better??? Maybe for authentic, standard Mexican fare, but thats it. Oak Park restaurants are great. Quick journey to Chicago proper. Yeah, but it takes 20 minutes to downtown. The Green line goes through bombed, abandoned food desert war zone. Oak Park has the best restaurants bar none, for anything within a 7 mile radius around Oak Park.

And seriously, you make Oak Park sound like some country town. It is tight knit and friendly, but common . . . quiet existence and quick access to other places?? Oak Park is not Plainfield or Tinley Park. Oak Park is a gem, and is Chicagoland is lucky to have it.

Yes, its not the kind of place with wild parties, and even though there are many families, there are also many singles. Although, I will admit that Madison St. in Forest Park, is closer to true nightlife (with lots of singles) than Oak Park.
I guess we'd have to agree to disagree. I'm comparing it with the city, and I don't think it's too far off to say that the restaurants here pale in comparison to many areas of the city. If you like overpriced, mediocre food than this is your place!! Hell sometimes when my girlfriend and I go out for our date night on Thursday we're one of the only people dining. Why does this happen if the restaurants are supposedly so good? I'm not alone in my thoughts either.

About the "quiet" part: I mean quiet for an urban area. It's all relative.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM

374 posts, read 1,036,191 times
With all due respect, your link is three years old. Numerous restaurants have opened in the last three years. I will list my favs so you can check them out:

Kinderhook Tap
Briejo
Marion Street Cheese Market
Antico Forno (Elmwood Park, but close enough and they deliver to the OP)
Sen Sushi
Sushi House
Maya Del Sol
Erik's for lunch (it's been totally redone)
Cucina Paradiso (just got added to the Michelin Guide)
Good chains (5 Guys, Potbelly, Brueggers, Winberies)

For cafes, check out Liddos and Buzz.

Bleeding Heart Bakery
Two fantastic bread places (Red Hen and Prairie)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs