Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 AM

190 posts, read 405,089 times

Advertisements

Hi, looking for a little insight on Northbrook. I met someone from the area and she was talking about the east versus west side, or something along those lines...I think she said the east is "better", I know, relative statement. But can anyone elaborate? We have a $600-ish budget...where is it best spent? I understand all NB schools are good, correct?
Also, any thoughts on the subdivision Charlemagne? I noticed prices have come way down in this neighborhood. My mother in law actually lives in NB but she really does not know about the east/west thing.

Many thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 AM

42 posts, read 199,625 times
If you are Jewish, West Northbrook will be the best fit, if you are not Jewish - East Northbrook.

East Northbrook is closer to the shore and it's architecture is more charming - it has more "North Shore" feel then West Northbrook. East Northbrook is more expensive then West Northbrook.

Schools are equally good in East and West Northbrook.

Charlemagne is a great neighborhood, predominantly Jewish.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 26,504 times
The homes are charming but the neighborhood is very snotty. We were looking into that neighborhood as well and asked around and every single person told the same story (nice homes, not nice people). For example, a friend of mine was deciding between Northbrook and Glencoe and bought in Charlemagne because she thought Glencoe would be snobby. She regretted the decision and is now looking in Glencoe because she couldn't believe how mean and judgmental the people were in Charlemagne. I have heard good things about many other neighborhoods in Northbrook, but this particular one seems awful -- showy and competitive.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:41 PM

I am familiar with Glencoe (lived on the border of Highland Park and Glencoe for a year), and Glencoe is much snobbier than Northbrook. Living in Northbrook after Highland Park - I feel I can breathe again I don't live in Charlemagne, but know a couple of people who live there - they seem pretty normal.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 PM

I am not Jewish but have many friends that are and do not mind living in a "jewish" neighborhood. Interesting thoughts on Charlemagne. We did drive thru there and the lots seems small....so maybe off our list for that reason. I do like the look of the houses though.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 AM

When we looked for a house, we saw a number of houses in Charlemagne, and all the ones that we saw had normal size lots - not small at all.

If you are not Jewish in that part of Northbrook, you'll be the minority. Make sure you are OK with that. Just to give you an idea, there are 20 kids in my kids class (public elementary) - out of 20, 13 are Jewish, 3 are Asian and 4 are White Christian.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:52 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,428 times
And of the 4 white "Christians," I bet 3 are Greek.

Jewish/Asian areas tend to have the best schools, thus making those locations desirable.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 PM

My husband is from western NB and he went to Glenbrook North and had many, many jewish friends. He was perfectly fine with it. I guess it is something to think about but I am fairly certain it does not bother me at all.

So what is the dividing line then for NB?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
And of the 4 white "Christians," I bet 3 are Greek.
Not Greek, but 1 is Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
So what is the dividing line then for NB?
The most Jewish part of Northbrook is anything west of Phingsten and north of Techny

Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
There are no Chicago suburbs that beat Naperville. Nope, not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs