Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 06:26 PM

34 posts, read 181,209 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to visit Chicago in a week and a half because we are considering relocating there from Columbus, Ohio.We are primarily looking for something with sidewalk cafes, library, good schools, dog park, 30 somethings who have families or might not have families, good food-no applebees, the fewer new-builds and chains and strip centers the better. My husband will commute via the metra most likely. We know to look at the suburbs on the north side of town and we know that we couldn't afford anything in the city itself although we'd love that. We'd probably be looking for housing in the 400-600 range. We love old architecture, yoga and co-ops and nice neighbors who don't park in their yards. Can anyone suggest an area or two that we might like? We are staying in Oak Park (which I understand is part of the city) and will be able to drive everywhere. We are mid 30's Caucasian Dems if that makes any difference. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,757 times
Oak Park is actually a suburb, and luckily enough, it fits all your criteria.

Evanston is another possibility.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 PM

8 posts, read 24,957 times
Yes, Oak Park and Evanston would be the right choice. I live in Oak Park and we love that it's pretty much a mix of urban and a little more quiet suburban with houses and yards. You won't find Applebee's or a Chili's for miles. Many, many great restaurants, little local theatres, nice parks, two public pools. In the evening and all hours of the day for that matter, lots of people walking around. Lots of dogs being walked and strollers being pushed. This is also the town of block partys. Every weekend until Halloween you'll find some street blocked off for a party. You're allowed two per summer. We just had ours this past weekend and the street is closed from 9am to midnight. Socializing seems to be a big part of life here. My husband and I are in our 40's with no kids and we don't have any problem finding friends. The houses here are old mostly with minimal teardowns thanks to the law that prohibits it. It keeps the character of the home of the Frank Lloyd Wright home and studio. There has been some condo building the last few years swallowing up the surface parking lots in the downtown area and some of us are afraid of the crowing that may happen. But, since it's nine miles down the expressway to the Loop, it makes for an ideal commute being the first suburb west of the city.

Evanston is the home of Northwestern University and has a beautiful campus and is on the shore of Lake Michigan. That is the first suburb north of the city in what's known as the "North Shore." Evanston is a city as opposed to Oak Park being a village. It's bigger and offers the college town atmosphere. Both have unique restaurants and stores and both are on the "el" lines and Metra commuter train lines. Both towns have similarities but each have different things that make them special.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 PM

That is wonderful news. I can't wait to visit now! You have immensely helped! It's fortunate that we appreciate FLW then isn't it?! Shame we missed the block party, though.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 14,071 times
Go Buckeyes! I'm a Columbus, Ohio transplant too. I live in downtown - on Ohio Street, oddly enough, in an area called Streeterville. You may want to consider an area called "Old Town" - sounds like what you might be looking for in terms of city living. But Oak Park and Evanston are excellent recommendations too.

Chicago is amazing - you won't be disappointed.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM

Hello Transplant! We're looking for Chicago's version of "Grandview" Any other thoughts? We'll totally check out Old Town. We live in Bexley now and it's really boring because everyone is much older or wealthy (we're doing fine $$ but we're not snobby-rich) I really miss Grandview and want to find something like it in Chicago? What made you chose to move there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs