Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:35 PM

30 posts, read 162,635 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow forumers,
Me and my wife are scheduled to move to Chicago in July next year. I would appreciate if you can suggest some great neighborhoods equidistant between Chicago and Kenosha. My wife's job is in Kenosha, WI and mine will be in Chicago/Deerfield.

We would like to stay close to a main highway
In a great school district (my son will be starting Elementary school next year)
Our upper limit for a house is $700,000
Stay close to a train station since I will be taking public transportation.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 05:40 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,346,966 times
I would say Deerfield is about as equidistant as you can get between Chicago and Kenosha.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,732,327 times
Deerfield, Highland Park, or Northbrook. All have excellent schools and housing in your price range.''

If you are commuting into the Loop, Northbrook has the easiest train stations to access of the three. It is on the METRA Milwaukee District North Line. Same with Deerfield. 40 minutes from Northbrook to Union Station in the city which is in the Loop on the train.

The commute to Kenosha is a little farther. From Deerfield it is about 45 minutes with little traffic. The traffic going north in the morning is not bad except when Six Flags in Gurnee is having a special event. The traffic going south in the afternoon is there, about 1 hour to get back to Deerfield (a little farther to Northbrook).

If you moved further north to Libertyville, her commute goes down by 20 minutes but yours increases 25 minutes on the train. Vernon Hills is more equidistant, 1 hour on the train for you and a 35 minute drive for your wife mornings and 45 minutes afternoon.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,754,225 times
Lake Bluff might work, very easy access to the 94 and you can take the train either from Lake Bluff itself or from Lake Forest for a slightly quicker commute (the MD-N line, not the UP-N) to both Deerfield and Chicago.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:26 AM

818 posts, read 2,174,931 times
Will your wife be driving to work, or taking the train? If she wants the option of taking the train to Kenosha, you can move to one of the stops on the Union Pacific North Line, which goes both downtown and to Kenhosa.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:40 AM

We were thinking that she can drive since it will be a reverse commute and traffic will be lighter from North suburbs to Kenosha. But I read here on city data that there is no such thing as a reverse commute in Chicago. Is that true?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. We are looking into Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, Libertyville, Northbrook. I do have one more question and it may sound a little silly. All these cities I'm looking at are closer to the lake, so does it mean it will be a lot colder and windy in winter than say, Naperville?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 AM

1,728 posts, read 4,732,327 times
Slightly colder in the winter and summer, but not enough to notice a difference since the entire landscape is flat.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:07 PM

818 posts, read 2,174,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajju View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. We are looking into Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, Libertyville, Northbrook. I do have one more question and it may sound a little silly. All these cities I'm looking at are closer to the lake, so does it mean it will be a lot colder and windy in winter than say, Naperville?
The main period when it sucks to live near the lake as opposed to farther away is March through May. Contrary to popular belief it is not actually colder with respect to average annual temperature, the temperatures are just distributed differently. Being near a body of water tends to moderate temperatures a bit, and increase seasonal lag. This means, warmer at night, cooler during the day, warmer in fall/winter, cooler in spring/summer.

I do agree, that the climate of a location away from the lake is preferable to the climate of a location near the lake. One of the primary times when near the lake is warmer is a winter night, where it might get down to -10 away from the lake, but only down to +5 near the lake. People tend not to notice this as people tend to view both as simply really cold. But when the same 15 degree differential occurs on an April day making it 50 near the lake and 65 away from the lake, people notice big time.

You can avoid some of the most extreme lake effects on weather by living a few miles west of the lake, say closer to I-94. But even there, you may miss out on several nice spring days that will occur in Naperville/Aurora. I wouldn't let that further complicate your commute plans to Chicago/Kenosha. If I were you I would simply plan to spend nice weekend days in the Spring out at Chain-o-Lakes or Moraine Hills State Park where you're more certain to get away from the Lake-cooled air.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM

393 posts, read 892,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinajju View Post
We were thinking that she can drive since it will be a reverse commute and traffic will be lighter from North suburbs to Kenosha. But I read here on city data that there is no such thing as a reverse commute in Chicago. Is that true?
My dad worked in downtown Kenosha and not one but TWO of his coworkers took the train up from the North Shore. I think one was in Evanston and one was in the city? Anyway if you stay on that train line you could both take the train to work, depending on where your wife's job is in relation to the train station. Kenosha also has a pretty decent bus system I used when I lived there.

When I lived in the area (from birth to age 18, and then again for two years about three years ago), I'd say between a third and a half of the people in Kenosha County work in Illinois. Most of them work at Abbott in Waukegan on Highway 41, or in that area. Then I'd say about the same amount work in Kenosha or the industrial area out in Pleasant Prairie. The rest of them work in the Racine area. I don't know why you couldn't reverse commute though... roads go two ways.

There is a small but monied population in Kenosha that works in Chicago every day. Your big advantage there would be that Kenosha is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY cheaper than Illinois. Nice houses regularly go in the $150000-$250000 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs