Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

Why.

People pick on Naperville a lot - calling it homogenous, uber-suburban, not-progressive, conforming, conservative, etc.

I don't know why, but it seems Naperville is often singled out on this.

The north and northwest suburbs don't get this nearly as much. I mean come, onm even though they are sprawling, affluent and many of the other adjectives.

Naperville has the one of the biggest and most vibrant walkable downtown in all the suburbs, with tons of activities for both families and singles. People from all over the country have located there for work opportunities.

Commutes can be quite a bit shorter there because of all the companies around there, which are a very short drive from the vibrant downtown.

I know the Naperville leans a bit more on the WASPy side of ethnic background as opposed to the more white-ethnic background (Jewish, Polish, Italian) that you find in the north-northwest suburbs - but there are lots of Asian, and even the percentage of African Americans are even a bit higher there than many upscale-upper middle class.

There is a four-year college there, as well as many people who work at Fermi-lab and Argonne, that bring in in my mind, a bit of a progressive mindset, because of the two big labs is government sponsored, there is a bit less of that "government doesn't create jobs" rhetoric you find among some conservatives.

Anyone want to shed light on this?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:42 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
More than most Chicago burbs, Naperville regularly gets ranked as a top suburb for families by national media, so its human nature that people want to knock it down a peg or two.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
People, for whatever reason, feel good in trashing upper middle class white folk and Naperville's got them in spades, as they say. That's probably most of the reason. Whatever floats your boat.

There could be other factors, I don't really know for sure. I don't pay much attention to it to be honest. Naperville isn't my cup of tea but for many it is. I don't waste much energy paying attention to it (no pun or hidden dig intended).

Old 12-17-2010, 10:12 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Well, the vast majority of people think and speak very highly of Naperville, so I don't agree with your premise.

The loud minority of critics: either jealousy or the belief that it is overrated, particularly in areas that are maybe less common metrics of quality but add particular value to the naysayers.

One thing I will say that people often don't realize on this forum -- when you are "different" in any way, the lack of diversity does really mean something day to day and isn't just a pc affectation. Everyone wants to fit in. Not everyone would there as easily as some other places which many consider it superior to.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Well, the vast majority of people think and speak very highly of Naperville, so I don't agree with your premise.

The loud minority of critics: either jealousy or the belief that it is overrated, particularly in areas that are maybe less common metrics of quality but add particular value to the naysayers.

One thing I will say that people often don't realize on this forum -- when you are "different" in any way, the lack of diversity does really mean something day to day and isn't just a pc affectation. Everyone wants to fit in. Not everyone would there as easily as some other places which many consider it superior to.
And one thing that's funny is the homogenous label only seems to get pulled out when we're talking about majority white suburbs. Little Village, for example, is probably 99% Hispanic but I've never heard it called homogenous, and you'd probably get dirty looks if you said that at a progressive cocktail party. Ditto for several African-American south suburbs. At least be even handed, you know?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:22 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And one thing that's funny is the homogenous label only seems to get pulled out when we're talking about majority white suburbs. Little Village, for example, is probably 99% Hispanic but I've never heard it called homogenous, and you'd probably get dirty looks if you said that at a progressive cocktail party. Ditto for several African-American south suburbs. At least be even handed, you know?
Sure. Here in Beverly, for example, white people will actually admit that they don't want to send their kids to an essentially all-black school (MPHS), but they do have to speak very carefully, and few say it directly out in the open (the key word is that they want a "diverse" school, when in truth a diverse or racially homogeneous all white one would probably be fine).

Old 12-17-2010, 10:25 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Never thought much about this in the past, but you totally hit the bulls-eye on how true that is.

And as for 'Naperthrill'(as I've sometimes laughably heard some from there nickname it, including some friends who I attended a church with long ago in my youth who were from there), basically what oakpark, BRU, and ajol said about why Naperville gets picked on by many in other suburbs(the jealousy factor). It also isn't my most ideal cup of tea(if I could theoretically suddenly have the money tomorrow to have one retreat house in any Chicago neighborhood or suburb, while living outside of Illinois), but more power to those who like it.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
I don't recall Fortune or Money magazine lauding Little Village or Robbins as a great place to raise a family. They are in an entirely different economic strata than Naperville. You expect more from a premium brand.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 12-17-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
I agree this is annoying. I feel like some people from the city, when they pick on Naperville, they are really using it as a surrogate for all generic suburbia (i.e. not Oak Park or Evanston, or a place like Aurora or Joliet). However, as mentioned, it is one of the few suburbs where you can find cool stuff to do at night, and the downtown is one of the best. It is probably just because it is discussed a lot.

I, for one, actually grow tired of people from the city or from the suburbs demeaning the other. Both are legitimate lifestyles, and people just have their preferences. I like living in the city, but I understand why some people like the suburbs. I don't think I ever want to move to a generic suburb. I like walking and biking places, prefer the grid system, and like buildings that are closer to the street. However, I would not mind living in Naperville based on what is available downtown and along Ogden, Route 59, etc. When I think of the type of generic suburb I do not want to move to I think of places like Hoffman Estates, Grayslake, or Warrenville.

It's just ironic that the town they use to describe a lifestyle that they do not appreciate is actually nowhere near the town that fits their stereotype the best.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I don't recall Fortune or Money magazine lauding Little Village or Robbins as a great place to raise a family. They are in an entirely different economic strata than Naperville. You expect more from a premium brand.
Agree with the premise but what would one expect them to do in terms of diversity? Minority groups, at least Hispanics and African-Americans, are not well represented in the upper middle class, and that is what Naperville is comprised of.

There are a multitude of reasons for this, including our education system. I'm starting to sound like the crazy guy talking to himself at the back of the bus on that subject so I'll just stop there. In short, this is a societal issue, not so much a Naperville issue.

Heck, I'd argue that Oak Park, the Holy Grail of diversity, is not really all that diverse if you look closely, and it is becoming less so as time goes on. It is very difficult to enforce diversity in affluent areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs