Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy M View Post
Chicagojlo is prabaly a Lake Bluff rich little house wife driving her 525Beemer. Husband goes to work doing 100000 plus. never been to Waukegan even though its 5 miles or so north. Looks down on people that doesnt look the same as her image. Remember,Chicagojlo think normal people on average. Shes not asking you where you want to live. Get with the real world. I do 55 a yr. My morgage is 560 amonth. Had it for 5 yrs. Only owe 39000 on . No cc dept. Life is great. Im living pretty good in Waukegan.
1. Learn to spell. Giving advice on the benefits of Waukegan and writing in the style of a 3rd grade drop out is beyond absurd.

2. Don't attack Chicagojo----it doesn't feel nice to be personally attacked does it?

3. I live in Gurnee, drive often into Waukegan, and have determined Waukegan not to be a crown jewel. Sorry, but besides the Genesee theatre and a few nice homes, its a pit in my opinion-----and thats including the commercialized lake front and the low-end Fountain Square shopping center. Is it acceptable for some lower income folks? Of course....I just wouldn't give it a glowing report.

4. The incomes you listed for Gurnee, Waukegan and Lake Bluff are incorrect:
A. Waukegan- $50,783
B. Gurnee- $88,889
C. Lake Bluff- $134,399
D. Grayslake- $85,839
* Source- Citydata.com Census data 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzilla View Post
My husband and I are going to be at Great Lakes Naval Station for the next year or so and will be moving next month. I've found some apartments that are in Waukegan, Lake Bluff, & Gurnee, so I'm just wanting more info on the cities. Shopping and dining out are a big thing for me. I don't want to be too far from restaurants and malls, LOL.

Thanks in advance!
Priscilla

I live in Gurnee. Average home or condo value in 2008 was $300,000 (source citydata.com). The apartments in Gurnee would be more desirable than Lake Bluff and Waukegan for the most part. Waukegan apartments are located in mostly lower income areas. Lake Bluff Apartments border North Chicago and are centered near Abbott Labs off Waukegan rd. (all in a non-residential area). Gurnee apartments are mostly located in residential areas. Stick to west and south of Rt. 41 in Gurnee and you will find a good apartment with good schools. Shopping is great in Gurnee. For groceries you can choose between Dominicks (Safeway), Jewel (SuperValu), Wal_mart SuperCenter, and a full-line grocery Target all in town. Mega-Discount grocer Woodman's has a huge store 15 minutes north in Kenosha WI, and I often shop at the upscale Independent grocery store "Sunset Foods" 10 minutes south of Gurnee in North Libertyville. For dining, every chain you can imagine is in Gurnee....but there are some independent restaurants too such as Timothy O Toules Pub, Stevens Steak House, Wholly Frijoles Mexican, Rissotto's Italian to name a few. If you have kids, there is a ton of things to do with the kids even in the winter. There is an indoor jumpy house place (Pump it up), Rinkside skating rink/amusement center, Six Flags Great America, Bat Speed indoor batting cages, and Key Lime cove---which doesn't officially offer "day passes for sale"---but for Gurnee residents they often offer "Community Days" passes to residents on the side for a full day at the indoor water park for under $20 (shhhh don't tell anyone from out of town! LOL)

Old 12-02-2010, 09:12 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
How is Woodmans? I've driven past a few times and thought about stopping in.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
How is Woodmans? I've driven past a few times and thought about stopping in.

You will $ave money at Woodman's, no doubt. The selection they have is huge because the store is so big. Its cash, check or debit card (with pin #) only----they don't take credit cards.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out next time.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Interestingly I just read that there will be a new cinema and restaurant complex coming to Lake Bluff next year (well Green Oaks but it's practically Lake Bluff). Too late for the OP but should liven things up a little.

Marcus Theatres(R) Announces New Theatre Planned for Green Oaks, Ill. - MarketWatch

Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM

Also - OP I was thinking maybe you should check out AMLI at Museum Gardens in Vernon Hills. The underground parking alone makes it worth the price!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
There is definitely more to the area than just gurnee, lakebluff and waukegan,
but not a bad overview.

There is an area that you guys may not know about.
Knollwood. Its unincorporated and just west of Lake Bluff proper
but still has Lake Bluff mailing address and Lake Bluff school district.
If you can find the Silo restaurant its basically that subdivision there
and the other subdivision on the other side of waukegan Rd.
Knollwood extends north to about where abbott labs begins more or less.

The west side of Knollwood is a little nicer because there isnt any
apartments over there, but the east side is okay too.
Houses there are much more affordable than lake bluff proper.
You dont pay high taxes for property and you can send your kids
to lake forest high school.

Dining options, well Silo has great pizza and there is a new bistro
on Waukegan Rd, you have a fine dining place in Downtown Lakebluff
and some other stuff in Lake Forest. Alot of times you will probably have
to drive a little, but hey you are close to the lake, there is
decent shopping mall right there with a starbucks, dominicks, chase, etc
right close by and if you are into gardening Pasqueis (spelling?)
is nearby and is pricey but they do have sales.

Also nice bike path there along 176 that leads to the lake and
west to the river trail and all the way just past libertyville.
And Libertyville has a nice downtown that isnt too far away.
You also have the option of going to sunset foods on waukegan
that is very nice.

Just my two cents,
Im biased because my parents have a house in Knollwood.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:08 PM

I still consider Knollwood to be part of Lake Bluff - probably shouldn't but it's got the address and the schools. My earlier advice referred to Knollwood for the most part because that's where all but one of the Lake Bluff apartment complexes are located (the other is on Green Bay by Rosalind Franklin).

Old 12-07-2010, 12:23 PM

85 posts, read 238,104 times
Lakecountylifer, dont get your pantys in a bunch. Just because I acidently mispelled a word or to means nothing. What happen, did I by chance describe you or something. My salaries were not far from what is correct. God for bid if I misspell a word. Later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs