Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times

Advertisements

If you like the things that Chicago has to offer that Indiana doesn't, then the taxes can be tolerated. If not, then you wouldn't want to live here. Neither choice is insane, just depends on what you value.

Also, for me at least, the extra money I can make in Chicago compared to most other places is about 10x the extra tax burden, so it's more than worth it. I guess I could drive in from NWI but that incurs a cost also, in terms of money and stress. Right now my commute is very short and relaxing.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM

811 posts, read 2,337,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
If you like the things that Chicago has to offer that Indiana doesn't, then the taxes can be tolerated. If not, then you wouldn't want to live here. Neither choice is insane, just depends on what you value.

Also, for me at least, the extra money I can make in Chicago compared to most other places is about 10x the extra tax burden, so it's more than worth it. I guess I could drive in from NWI but that incurs a cost also, in terms of money and stress. Right now my commute is very short and relaxing.
Nice post ajolotl, I agree completely. It all comes down to what you value. I personally am willing to commute over an hour from NWI to the loop, because for me it is worth it to have a nicer house. It's all personal preference and to say that one way is better than another is just an opinion.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:00 PM

320 posts, read 717,774 times
I think most people choose Illinois over Indiana for a variety of reasons. One problem with NWI is that there aren't as many jobs there as there is in Chicago, North and West Suburbs. If you move to NWI and work in Shaumburg, you may have cheaper taxes, but you'll make up for it paying for gas and mileage. Its the same problem with the South Suburbs, but Many Black middle-class folks choose this area over NWI b/c...well...there's a lot more black middle-class folks here than NWI. Although there are a lot of middle-class Black in Gary still, Blacks ain't trying to move to Gary.

A lot of the jobs have moved to the North and Western parts of the region and most people would rather live as close to their job as possible or at least live close to the metra. One problem I've always had with NWI is the fact that their isn't a train that goes South. The South Shore runs through Hammond, EC and Gary to South Bend, but there isn't a train that doesn't run through Highland, Dyer or Ceder lake. The only option for most people is to drive. And I-65, Lincoln Hwy and Indy Blvd are horrible during rush hour. I-90 would be perfect, but it's too expensive to take, which leaves you with I-80 and 159th street. Higher taxes can be benificial in creating another extension of the South Shore and/or Metra further South and southeast of NWI.

Also, it doesn't seem diverse enough for me. Not just racially, but Politically and economically. Most of the poor and minorities live North of I-80 and most of the whites and middle-class folks live South (who area mostly white). I know Chicago has this problem, but outside of the Southside and South Suburbs, There's a nice mixture of people in many parts of the region. I'm not trying to start a race discussion, I'm just giving my oppinion.

Chicago property taxes aren't that high compared to the suburbs; however, all the other taxes are. Once again, most people are close to transportation, don't suffer from long commutes and for people living closer to downtown, better access to jobs. Plus there's a lot more diversity (reginal-wise) and variety.

To conclude:

The benifits of living in NWI

1) Cost of living
2) Taxes (Outiside of Gary)
3) Better schools (outside of Gary, Hammond, EC, Merrillville, Hobart, Lake Station, New Chicago and Whiting)
4) Tons of Shopping and more to come (Outside of the Gary, EC, Hammond, and Whiting)
5) Low Crime rate (Outside of Gary, Hammond and EC)

Benifits of living on the Illinois side of the border.

1) Better Job accessibility
2) More public transit options
3) More variety
4) More walkable communities
5) More diversity (racial, income, politics and religion)
6) More upscale shopping and resturants
7) Higher property values in many areas
8) Better option for poorer and working-class people.
9) More fun stuff (beaches, parks, museums, cultural centers, theme parks, theaters, bars, clubs, etc.)

Honestly, I dread the high taxes of Illinois, but I would rather live on the Illinois side of the border. I feel as though most people over exaggerate the benifits of living in NWI. You can find cheap houses and low taxes outside of Cook County.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:33 PM

829 posts, read 2,088,809 times
In my opinion higher property taxes are a non issue when currently choosing where to buy. A lower purchase price will normally accompany a home that has a higher property tax bill than it should have in a down housing market like this. The market is currently especially soft for homes with higher than average property taxes. Buyers currently willing to pay the extra taxes on higher taxed properties can lock in some huge equity come resale time on some very choice undervalued properties, that would have never sold for so little had the property's taxes not been over assessed in such a soft market.

Last edited by allen2323; 12-27-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 03:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer22 View Post
Controversial and emotional topic, I know, especially in these hard times, but I'm hoping to get some thoughtful responses. I'm not trying to stir up emotions, just trying to understand the issue better.

Some friends of mine have been complaining about their high taxes. Personally, I think I would rather pay more property/income taxes in order to get more services. I live in NW Indiana (Porter County) and think that government is really underfunded here in Indiana. Its a fiscally conservative state and has been for a long time. Personally I think fiscal conservatism, when its at an extreme, is just a form of selfishness. I do believe in responsible and accountable government, but I do not think chronic underfunding is a good thing.

Previously I lived in Oak Lawn and paid high taxes, but had great parks that we used every day, excellent municipal services, good snow plowing, curbside recycling, and a lot of city-sponsored redevelopment.

I would be more likely to call NW Indiana home for a long time if:

- We had top-quality parks and recreation centers, with programs for all ages

- The schools paid better salaries to teachers and administrators so we could attract and retain better teachers and administrators

- Roads were expanded and improved to handle the existing amount of traffic more safely

- If Indiana plowed the snow and salted like you do on the Illinois side of the border. We slide around all winter. When I lived in Illinois I remember all the main streets and expressways being salted.. and early.

- Indiana provided a better safety net for those in need (social services and medical.) Unfortunately, I've had acquaintances who have had to use those systems and didn't get the support they needed. I'm not suggesting that the system should give anyone a life of luxury, only that it supply help more easily for those who really need it.

When I first moved to Porter County it was a shock. It was nice getting a property tax bill under $750 for my little ranch house. But I experienced frustration with those five things mentioned above. It felt to me like Indiana didn't invest much in its future.

Wound up buying a 4x4 the first year because of the road conditions, and thank god I did because without it I would not have gotten far.

There are lots of good things here too that I didn't have in Illinois, just different, but that would be a different topic, and I want to focus on taxes on this one.

My questions are:

If you're an Illinois resident, what benefits do you feel you get from paying higher taxes?

Do you think Indiana could make more progress (economically and culturally) if Indiana had higher taxes and used it to invest in services and infrastructure?

Thanks.
Summer22, I wanted to bring up a few things that I think deserve mentioning:

First of all, I'd wager that most people who live in the Chicagoland area do not have the luxury to choose where they live based strictly on taxes. If you get a job in a north suburb, you're probably going to be living in a north suburb. You probably won't even be looking at the west or south areas of the metro area (let alone NWI) regardless of the other attributes of those areas, simply because it makes no sense to make that kind of commute.

Most of NWI with the exception of a few areas (Munster, Dyer, St. John) would fall under this category. The geographic distance alone would rule out most of Porter County for me if I was working anywhere in Illinois. The taxes I would save just wouldn't be worth the stress and expense of commuting. Some people would and do conclude otherwise.

Point: taxes are definitely not the only factor, and taxes as a factor weighs less than the factor of where one's job is located.

You had also cited a lack of top quality parks. You live in Porter County, right? Have you ever been to Coffee Creek, Taltree Arboretum, Sunset Hill Farm, the Dunes National Lakeshore, or the Dunes State Park? There are beautiful parks everywhere. Maybe you and I have differing definitions of "top quality". You won't find a Lincoln Park anywhere in NWI if that's what you're looking for.

Another poster had brought up the fact that because Indiana is a "bleeding red" republican state it does not have the civic-mindedness one might see on the other side of the border. Simply not true. In Valpo, the mayor has done wonders. He has revitalized the downtown, spurred economic development on the north and east sides, re-paved many major roads, installed lighting on many major roads, etc. Valpo has nearly completed yet another park project downtown that will have a large amphitheatre for public events. If this isn't civic-minded enough, I'm not sure what is. By the way, the mayor of Valpo is a Republican who came into office only a few years ago after a long-standing democrat. These improvements have come about without the crazy impact on taxpayers you see in other areas.

A third complaint is a lack of lighting on certain roads. Well, two reasons why not every road is lit up with dozens of street lights is light pollution and energy wastefulness. I actually prefer not to have a ton of streetlights unless it is absolutely necessary for public safety. Show me some evidence that lighting is absolutely crucial for the road to be safe, and I'll be on your side. Until then, I'd rather drive on a darker road and still be able to see the stars than look up and see a greenish-blackness because all the starlight is washed out.

Just a few thoughts

Last edited by Bluefox; 01-04-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs