Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 3,256 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

After much searching I have finally found a place to move to out in the sticks in Barrington. It is a very quiet horse community that is not going to offer a whole lot for my seven year old son in terms of neighbors, but should offer him a much better school experience. I am used to living on a small lot in Schaumburg where we have opportunities at least to know our neighbors, I highly doubt this here.

Can anyone recommend some place outside of school where I might be able to get him involved with other kids in the community? He has a tough time making friends so I'm not sure how that will go. I know I'm being that overprotective parent here but I like to try to cover all of my bases.

Any help on other services in the area would be greatly appreciated also. The house is in unincorporated Barrington so I'm having trouble finding some services. Comcast looks like the only internet option from what I can tell.

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,059,955 times
Hello,

Outside of school activities, you might want to look at events held at the Barrington Area Library. They always have activities for elementary and middle school kids there. There are always youth sports too, if your son is into sports. Welcome to the community!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:06 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,630,697 times
We have been in Barrington a long time.
The Park Dist offers year long programs for kids as well as day camps in the summer. Thats a good place to start. The public swimming pool is very active and there are some nice parks to meet kids too.
We raised our son in the "sticks" so to speak, not a regular n'hood with neighbors and the park programs were a god sent.
Good luck with your move,you can DM me if I can answer any specific questions.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,311,099 times
Scouts Troup? Church? After school? Some libraries have reading groups for kids. Children's theatre? Skating? Gymnastics? Hiking and nature? FFA? Summer Art camp?

My kids are middle age now, but we always had these kinds of things for kids.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,256 times
Thank you for the suggestions.

Will living in an unincorporated area of Barrington still entitle me to their park district and other "community" areas? Growing up in Des Plaines unincorporated and out of district rates were through the roof.

I'm getting worn down by this move already and I haven't even started. Trying to move before my son is back in school is looking slimmer.

Geoff

Old 12-18-2010, 10:52 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,630,697 times
Yes, we live in Barrington Hills and pay a bit more as "out of district". They certainly are not "thru the roof" though.
You might call the park dist (Langendorf) and ask if you can pay "in district" rates. Also, check their website for current programs.
Moving is the worst, but a new home in a nice area is certainly a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs