Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 AM

13 posts, read 62,665 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I are thinking about moving from Chicago into either the Hinsdale Central or New Trier districts. From what I can gather reading this forum and other sources, both schools offer a great education. In fact, they're both so good that I can't see a significant difference. My question is: can you tell me what (if any) are the significant differences between Hinsdale Central and New Trier?

I'm not looking for a comparison of locations (west suburbs as compared to up north), just thoughts on the schools. I also realize that people "invested" in one or the other might have their own opinions (i.e., if someone just likes Hinsdale Central better than New Trier), but I'd really appreciate concrete examples of any meaningful differences between the two.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default There are some threads on this already...

...the differences are real and for some significant.

Firstly you should know that neither NT nor Hinsdale Central are monolithic k-12 units. You really are going to have to pick a specific elementary district. Though most are good / excellent, that still entails extra choices.

To begin with NT is much larger and draws from more feeder schools which makes for some transition issues. The district deals with both size and transition issues by utilizing the former west campus (site of Breakfast club movie shoot) as a "frehmen center".

Hinsdale Central draws from a range of suburbs that, collectively, are a bit less affluent than the North Shore, but still rate as pretty darned expensive. On the upper end is Hinsdale itslef, but also Burr Ridge, the D53 portion Oak Brook, most but not all of Clarendon Hills. One could probably get into a newer home in the portions of Willowbrook or unincorporated Westmont that feed into HC for under $450k , of course if one is shopping NT you'd know that a newer hoise is pretty much impossible to find at that price. The downside is that instead of being in the very desirable 181 district you might in a district that has less of "community feel".

I am fortunate to know a few teachers from each school. NT has a much more "one of a kind" system of teacher peer evaluation while D86, which technically comprises both Hinsdale Central and Hinsdale South (which serves Darien and surrounding areas) is much less unique. That said both schools have a very nice mix of course offerings with NT having a bit of an edge in the arts and more "seminar" oriented upper level interdisciplinary course. Both schools do a very nice job with science and math, NT has bit more depth and breadth for foreign languages.

There are folks that believe, and evidence is very hard to pin down, that the ease of access to money and privacy that comes along with the high incomes and big houses that illicit drug use and promiscuity are concerns. Having taught at other high schools that were both far less affluent and with a less visibly lenient parent population I believe these problems to be mostly "typical", though with the less extreme affluence at HC I personally beleive there is bit less of extreme etitlement that goes along with wealth privilege compare to the NT population...

Old 12-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Thanks again, Chet. Regarding your "entitlement" comment, I've spoken with some friends that are familiar with NT. My friend told me an example where a NT student was upset that he had received a "normal" Jeep Cherokee rather than a Jeep Grand Cherokee for his sixteenth birthday. Somehow this was a disappointment.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default The material stuff happens everywhere , the more troubling kind...

...involves status and such. You can find kids that are "spoiled with material wealth" even in some very downmarket areas. What is disturbing to me is when you have that are so accustomed to being catered to that they exhibit a callousness to others.some of this cultural, as families when it is traditional to only have one or two kids and them lavish them with tutors and such is expected. There are downsides to being raised in world where that is prevalent.

To be sure some of that exists in both NT and HC, but the mix of kids from bigger families and those area where there are more "scrappy" guys that made it big tend to be a moderating force at HC...

Believe me the factors that make your kids susceptible / resistant to either of the materialistic or status style entitlements start REAL YOUNG, I know families that have really young kids that are absolutely abusive to family care fivers in terms of attitude / tone and when they get away with these at home it spills over. Other families who frankly have way more assets but sorta live with the "Ford was good enough for grandpa who really struck it rich, it's good enough for you" mindset tend to raise kinds that are unimpressed with material goods are perhaps more focused on lasting accomplishments.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw228 View Post
My friend told me an example where a NT student was upset that he had received a "normal" Jeep Cherokee rather than a Jeep Grand Cherokee for his sixteenth birthday. Somehow this was a disappointment.
These situations are where Homey the Clown makes his bread and butter.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 AM

114 posts, read 387,276 times
I was not going to comment on this post because the OP inquired about the difference between Hinsdale and NT. I know very little about Hindale Central so I could not comment on the differences. I do know that NT continues to impress me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw228 View Post
Thanks again, Chet. Regarding your "entitlement" comment, I've spoken with some friends that are familiar with NT. My friend told me an example where a NT student was upset that he had received a "normal" Jeep Cherokee rather than a Jeep Grand Cherokee for his sixteenth birthday. Somehow this was a disappointment.
This extreme example of entitlement is just that, an extreme example. If a kid gets any car for his or her 16th birthday and is disappointed then clearly the kid wasn't raised well.

Having 2 NT grads and 2 currently there, I know a lot of students. They are kind, compassionate, respectful kids most of the time and typical teens. Many are from very "well to do" families and yet carry absolutely no sense of entitlement or poor attitude. The assumption that NT kids are spoiled brats is narrow minded and unfair. Many families at NT are not wealthy and many that are wealthy are not spoiling their children. Some people want to characterize the NT student population as a bunch of bratty rich kids because they are envious that the school and most of its students are so successful and perhaps they want to be here. There is a name for that "want-to-bees".

Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the input, I agree that a lot of the purported knocks against NT really just boil down to parenting issues that are universal throughout all socio-economic backgrounds.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM

223 posts, read 662,376 times
just bumping this thread up

Any recent comparisons? What is the "vibe" like among top-performing students at either of these high schools? Healthy amounts of competition/feeling of pressure? (I know it's hard to put a "vibe" into words, but any strong sense from insiders who live in these areas is appreciated.) Any concrete examples from current parents? For instance, I have a friend from the east coast who did very well in high school and went to a top Ivy League school but had tutors in nearly every subject -- not because these were weak areas for this person, but rather, because that's what many of this person's peers in this particular part of Westchester county did to stay ahead. Is this kind of thing part of the culture? Thanks!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Snootiness is one of the differences, though both have high levels.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Doglover5 -

I can weigh in with an epilogue to my own post above. My wife and I moved this summer to Clarendon Hills (the Hinsdale Central district). Our kids are still a long way from high school as our oldest is in first grade. I can't really speak to the "vibe" thing. I will tell you that tutoring is prevalent in both districts. I work with people that have kids in the NT district (younger than high school) that refer to the tutoring phenomenon as an "arm's race" where most parents just automatically hire a tutor for their kids as standard practice in many subjects. Tutoring seems to be slightly less prevalent in Hinsdale, although as I learn more I suspect that I'll learn it's not less prevalent by much. I did ask one of our neighbor's sons who graduated HC three years ago what he thought of the school. He said he like it, the school is big, and he learned a lot. He is an extremely well spoken and responsible kid (although that's probably more him than any school influence). Our experience with our elementary school (Prospect) has been phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs