Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 AM

63 posts, read 208,259 times

Advertisements

Libertyville is on the Milwaukee District North Line via Metra (www.metrarail.com). I would look at the schedule because there are express trains that run during rush hour. I would say roughly that it is 1 hour each way (give or take 10 minutes either way if it's express or makes every stop). My husband sometimes drives now that most of the construction to the city is done. When he drives he makes it to downtown Chicago in 50 minutes. It's really hard to find what you have in WI down here for a reasonable price. Believe me, we have tried. You have to decide what's more important. Big house for reasonable price=longer commute (Long Grove, Barrington, Libertyville, Gurnee) or Smaller house with close proximity to the city (Arlington Heights, Glenview, Wilmette, etc.). I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:06 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsuz123 View Post
Our kids go to a private Lutheran school in Hartland, but yes we are in the Kettle Moraine district. We bought a lot in a court in Merton, Arrowhead school district, but now may be looking at a transfer to Chicago. I looked at homes in Arlington Heights and couldn't find much for under 600k that seemed nice, they are so old and small (atleast on the website I was looking at) We are use to newer homes, which I know we'd have to give up also. We would like roughly 3000 sf or more. 3 car garage would be nice (we have 3 1/2 right now, that would be so hard to give up). Libertlyville did look nice, how long is the commute via train?
I am surprised. My 2700SF (plus 600 SF finished basement) on 1/5 acre was appraised at $450,000 this spring. Besides a fresh coat of paint outside and re-staining the deck, everything is in tip-top shape. Baths and kitchen redone 3 years ago roof is 10 years young and HVAC is brand new. Where in Arlington Heights are you looking??!! My home was valued close to $600K before the bubble burst. There is a decent Lutheran School in Arlington Heights (St. Peter) and the local public schools are outstanding.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 AM

12 posts, read 26,657 times
Default Naperville

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsuz123 View Post
Hi all,
We may be moving into chicago. We have 3 small kids with 2 in grade school. We live in the suburbs (30-40 minutes outside of Milwaukee Cty). Where can we find a safe suburb, yards about 1 acre, great schools, and decent size houses (about 3000sf)? How far out of chicago do we have to go to find this?

I am a real estate agent in the suburbs and I have found that one of the best places in the suburbs of Chicago is Naperville, IL. This suburb offers many things such as good schools, great food, shopping, entertainment, night life, and the drive to city of Chicago is not far. Many people relocating to Chicago end up in this particular suburb. I particularly enjoy the downtown area, riverwalk, grocery stores, and all the people around. You will be able to find a great home 3000sf+ in the 300's.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 12,431 times
best suburbs - evanston, wilmette, winnetka, kenilworth, south barrington, barrington hills, inverness.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:41 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
So well researched...

Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 PM

15 posts, read 47,137 times
Maybe I missed something in the thread, but I only saw your husband's job as being a commuting issue. If this is the case, I would suggest Naperville to you. The schools are wonderful, among the best and this would give him a shorter commute - especially on the metra.

Lake County taxes are amongst the highest in the state. You pay a lot!! If you are absolutely set on living in the North/Northwest Burbs, I would suggest Vernon Hills. Your husband will have a little bit longer commute, 45 minutes to an hour, but your children will be in the Stevenson school district, which is fantastic.

Both areas have a lot in terms of shopping/dining (Naperville, has more).

The metra is absolutely the way to go. Chicago expressways can be a nightmare in terms of traffic and depending on what time he leaves, he could be sitting forever. Much better to sit back and let the train do the work as he reads, rests or gets work done. Not to mention, you can control the cost more than the crazy gas prices.

Barrington is a nice community (all of the Barrington communites) however, the schools have a reputation of having kids attend who are spoiled and there is a high drug experimental rate among those schools.

In response to what someone else quoted you about Grayslake versus Gurnee schools, that is a lie. I went to Grayslake High School and I can tell you that after defending that myself, I have found after research, sadly they rank the same - exactly the same as far as the last two year's test scores go. (Warren and Grayslake have a bit of a rivalry, thats why I say sadly). The difference is that Gurnee is boarding Waukegan on some parts, and so some Waukegan resident students attend Warren, and that can get rough... although not always the case.

Best of luck to you!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
[quote=Luna2828;17454632

Barrington is a nice community (all of the Barrington communites) however, the schools have a reputation of having kids attend who are spoiled and there is a high drug experimental rate among those schools.
[/QUOTE]

Show some data on this, and that it is any worse then Naperville or any other desirable town.
There is zero tolerence, very stict codes and very involved parent/teacher experiences for all three of our kids and the dozens of kids and families we have come to know over all our years here.
To toss out a statement so casually does a diservice to a great community and a disservice to those seeking advice.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM

What better data is there than actually having experienced it while in High School and College? You are right that there is a big problem with this across the board.

The fact is, its a bigger problem in low income areas and higher income areas. Low income area for obvious reasons with kids getting into trouble. Higher income areas, where both parents work and kids are left to look after themselves and are afforded a lifestyle that allows them the ability to purchase it.

It was the same issue in Grayslake...

Old 01-20-2011, 12:57 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna2828 View Post
What better data is there than actually having experienced it while in High School and College? You are right that there is a big problem with this across the board.

The fact is, its a bigger problem in low income areas and higher income areas. Low income area for obvious reasons with kids getting into trouble. Higher income areas, where both parents work and kids are left to look after themselves and are afforded a lifestyle that allows them the ability to purchase it.

It was the same issue in Grayslake...

That is not data. That is unscientific opinion that could be based on personal stereotypes of a particular group of kids you have met. I have had a different personal experience with this school system, yet I don't label my opinions as "data." Please present specific facts if you are to make such blanket statements on this forum.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM

{ Barrington is a nice community (all of the Barrington communites) however, the schools have a reputation of having kids attend who are spoiled and there is a high drug experimental rate among those schools. }

I guess you both missed the part where I said reputation... word of mouth, opinion...

I never said that I have data to back this up... I said reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs