U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:59 AM

18 posts, read 134,411 times

Advertisements

I have read most of the threads on both of these towns, but still have some questions. My family and I (3 school aged children) moved to a rental in Lake Forest last May from a Detroit suburb (Birmingham). We primary chose the location because we finally found a rental! At the time we were looking, rentals were scarce. I also have a friend that lives there. Since then, my husbands job location changed and his commute into the city to his job is about 1.5 hrs (Metra and train/walk to Michigan Ave). This commute is way too long (remember we came from the motor city).
We are now looking to move closer to the City, but don't want to spent too much on a house (<$650k). We really like the feel of Evanson and we have seen some nice homes in NW Evanston, but we hear the Junior High (Haven) is not the best. My oldest is 8 and will be in Junior High is 3 yrs. The elementaries seem fine.
River Forest or Oak Park was another consideration due to its close proximity to the City and and they seem to have great schools into High School (at least River Forest). The only negative is its proximity to the water (we have a boat and love the beach).
What are your opinions about the two locations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,306,592 times
How is it possible to have a 1.5 HR commute from Evanston?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 AM

17,165 posts, read 21,278,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
How is it possible to have a 1.5 HR commute from Evanston?
From Lake Forest, not from Evanston. That's why they are considering moving to Evanston - to shorten the commute

Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,306,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
From Lake Forest, not from Evanston. That's why they are considering moving to Evanston - to shorten the commute
Ah that makes more sense.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:48 AM

17,165 posts, read 21,278,213 times
My kids were in Evanston quite a while ago and I love the town. I don't know if Haven has changed or not, but middle school is the pits no matter where you are. It has more to do with the age of the kids than the school itself. That said, Evanston *had* open enrollment when my kids were in middle school and I did switch my dd to the middle school on the other side of town in 7th grade. She is still good friends with her 7th grade locker partner. Academically, I did not find much of a difference, but this was quite some time ago.

For my son, btw, Haven was fine. Academically, he was advanced and they managed to keep up with him. For my daughter, it was the social scene that was a problem, not the academics.

I would be a bit more worried about the high school at this point with the new experiment going on in terms of eliminating freshman honors.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM

18 posts, read 134,411 times
What is this experiment with freshmen honors at Evanston High?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:18 PM

28,460 posts, read 80,779,820 times
Default I think this is a timely concern...

With a budget of over $600k you have some EXCELLENT options.

My strong preference in that price category would be a desirable town on the BNSF. The odds of a nutty proposal like ETHS School Board's politically correct decision to eliminate ability grouping as a way to address some perceived short comings of the curricula to adequate be inviting toward racial minorities (and not spend any more money...) is pretty much not a possibility ( and beleive me the very small presence of racial minorities in comparison to either Evanston or Oak Park is certainly the reason for this, good or bad, and Lake Forest ain't winning any diversity prizes ...).

If you want older / more charming look in LaGrange or Western Springs. Top notch schools -- get a smaller home in Hinsdale or the parts of Clarendon Hills served by D181. A bit younger and not much longer commute with excellent express trains try Naperville. A little bit of all of the above? Downers Grove...

Yes, you will be "farther from the Lake" but trust me you ain't going to be trailering a boat from River Forest and at your budget you ain't buying lakefront Evanston either. Make the smart compromises that you need to with a kid entering the tough middle school years.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 3,974,180 times
No one has offered the option of living wherever you want, and sending the kids to private school?

Your house budget of $650K doesn't help us - What TYPE of house do you want/do you expect for that money?

Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 PM

400 posts, read 909,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

My strong preference in that price category would be a desirable town on the BNSF. The odds of a nutty proposal like ETHS School Board's politically correct decision to eliminate ability grouping as a way to address some perceived short comings of the curricula to adequate be inviting toward racial minorities (and not spend any more money...) is pretty much not a possibility ( and beleive me the very small presence of racial minorities in comparison to either Evanston or Oak Park is certainly the reason for this, good or bad, and Lake Forest ain't winning any diversity prizes ...).

If you want older / more charming look in LaGrange or Western Springs. Top notch schools -- get a smaller home in Hinsdale or the parts of Clarendon Hills served by D181. A bit younger and not much longer commute with excellent express trains try Naperville. A little bit of all of the above? Downers Grove...

Yes, you will be "farther from the Lake" but trust me you ain't going to be trailering a boat from River Forest and at your budget you ain't buying lakefront Evanston either. Make the smart compromises that you need to with a kid entering the tough middle school years.

BNSF?
Yeah Im glad someone else brough this up
about Evanston Highschool.
HUGE mistake I feel.
What a weird city, very segregated,
and the kids on each side of town dont
meet until highschool and THEN
you are going to mainstream them in the
same classes? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 AM

28,460 posts, read 80,779,820 times
Default I think this is a timely concern...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs