Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 36,655 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to the Northwest suburbs from San Jose and looking for newer homes in Barrington, hawthorn woods or Hoffman estates. Any suggestions? We've even started looking on the North Shore including Lake Forest. I'm self employed so commute times are not a factor even though I do love going to downtown Chicago. We don't need a massive house or a lot of land, just something comfortable in a nice area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,093 times
We live in Algonquin (it's one of the many small NW subs) We love it here but we're relocating to Tampa for my hubby's job. Each NW suburb has it's own "feel". For example, Crystal Lake is older and more "old fashioned", Lake in the Hills (LITH) and Algonquin are always mentioned together because they're so close and similiar. Here in Algonquin there's more of a young family feel. (My husband and I have a young toddler, but there is a good mix of families with teens, tots, and in between on our street.) There's more upscale shopping in Algonquin (and more coming), but the residential areas are already well established. Elgin has more ethnic diversity with higher Latino and Black populations. Carpentersville is more blue collar and it, too, is kinda older. All of the above mentioned areas have great people and are close enough and small enough that you can consider them one big suburb. All have are close to Metra train to downtown (really the best way to travel to downtown). I am of course bias to Algonquin and would not choose to live anywhere else. We have great city government/services, shopping, ok taxes, WONDERFUL warm neighbors, great parks (and several park district programs), and a lot of house for your dollar. I'm sad to be leaving.

Good luck in your move!

Last edited by mdz; 07-15-2007 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 07-14-2007, 10:36 PM

18 posts, read 62,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogomoto View Post
Looking to relocate to the Northwest suburbs from San Jose and looking for newer homes in Barrington, hawthorn woods or Hoffman estates. Any suggestions? We've even started looking on the North Shore including Lake Forest. I'm self employed so commute times are not a factor even though I do love going to downtown Chicago. We don't need a massive house or a lot of land, just something comfortable in a nice area.
For Hawthorn, I like the area North of Kemper Lakes. For Barrington try Timber Lake area in North Barrington or Lake Barrington. I'd stay away from Hoffman, that area is building up with commercial development and is gettting very congested.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,177 times
I live in this area. How much are u looking to spend? What grades are your childern in? (If u have any)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs