Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 15,985 times

Advertisements

what can be done about a person who came to my door and falsely represented themselves as a real estate agent, for the purpose of obtaining information. they later successfully used this information (under perjury) in a court of law, causing me damages? what steps do need to do to take action against this individual?
thanks for your reply. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occupied View Post
what can be done about a person who came to my door and falsely represented themselves as a real estate agent, for the purpose of obtaining information. they later successfully used this information (under perjury) in a court of law, causing me damages? what steps do need to do to take action against this individual?
As far as I know there is no law that says you can't pretend to be a realtor. You did not have to give out any information even if he was a real real estate agent, of course.

How could he cause you damage in court unless you were defrauding someone yourself?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
If you gave them truthful information how did they commit perjury?

Old 01-01-2011, 08:47 PM

Default perjury

they perjured themselves saying they knew me, for one.
this all involved a custody dispute and the person saying they were the realtor was really the aunt of the child.
our house was off the market, but she saw the info sheet the previous realtor had made up for the home while it was on the market.
She had asked me where I was going to buy my next home and I said I was looking in a particular suburb b/c thats where my son lived. She asked where that was.
I gave the person my email address and told her to email me periodically to find out if I listed the house. She said she wanted to buy it for her brother. She hasnt a brother.
She went to court, telling the judge she knew me-describing my home, showing the judge my email address that I had given her. Told the judge that I had said deragotory things about the mom of the child, that the mom showed herself unfit at times.
The judge believed this woman and awarded custody to the father.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM

BTW, lighten up. I didnt do anything wrong. I was anxious to answer this "realtor" because it was a down time in the real estate market, and I thought this "realtor" was sincere about snatching up the property for her "brother". I'm human in that way. I never spoke about any family member of mine except to say that I wanted to move near my son, and told her where that was; sometimes the real estate agents have dual licenses to buy and sell in neighboring states. If she was able to buy the house, I would have certainly used her to sell us one in the area we wished to move into.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
No judge is going to strip custody based solely on one person's account of a single conversation, especially since neither of you were a parent of the child in question. It's he said/she said. All they did was obtain your email address and take a look around your house, both of which they could have done with google and a little time.

Sounds like you need to a lot more cautious about who you speak to and who you let in your home.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
What is with people asking for legal advice on the City-Data forums? As far as I know, there aren't a bunch of lawyers posting here. Maybe one or two, and you'll notice they never comment on threads like this.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
That story makes no sense. What is your relationship to the child in question? How would where you are moving have anything to do with custody of this child? How does having your your email addy prove she knows you? Lots of people I don't know (or at least don't know well) have my email.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 PM

Yes, all your questions are the same I have. But the judge ruled the way he did. So I dont know. @Lookout Kid, I dont know-I typed in search web with my KEY WORDS and this site was one of the few on the first page. There was a question similar to this one with the link that I followed here.
I've laid out the details and yes, I agree they dont make sense but C'est la vie.
Thanks for all the replies.
Not resolved but...
OK, ISSUE DONE HERE. I WONT BE READING ANY MORE.
Happy New Year! Blessings Everyone!

Old 01-02-2011, 08:27 AM

263 posts, read 567,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occupied View Post
I am not a lawyer; I am however a real estate agent. It is in fact illegal to misrepresent oneself as real estate agent. The offender can be reported to the IDFPR (Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation) and face disciplinary action.

I am somewhat skeptical, however, that an offender somehow made it to a court of law, and was not compelled to reveal the fact of non-licensure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs