Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 122,123 times

Advertisements

I am currently planning to relocate to the Chicago area and I am not familiar with the area at all. Can someone suggest what might be some of the best places to look for a one bedroom apartment under $800 a month? I am looking for a safe, quiet neighborhood that's affordable. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default If you aren't picky...

There are good values even in Lincoln Park. Here is a place near DePaul:

Housing for Rent | Real Estate | Chicago Reader Classifieds | AFFORDABLE LINCOLN PARK

Paying more for updated rooms migh make sense for some people, but you need not over pay for safe stuff if you don't mind older building...

Old 01-02-2011, 04:28 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
City or burbs?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Burbs or city. Thanks Chet!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanel4Chris519 View Post
Burbs or city.
There are literally a hundred neighborhoods or burbs you can live in for the amount you mentioned. You have to be more specific on what you want. Btw, I would not call Lincoln Park "quiet."

Old 01-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Lol ok well my new job will be in the city. I've never been there so I'm not familiar with the area. But I have looked in Irving park so far at some places I found online.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I think one of the biggest things you should understand is you are moving to an area of 10 MILLION people. from every corner of the world. Chicago probably has 1,000 neighborhoods. Many residents who live in the city use public transportation; they don't need a car. If you work in the Loop and your employer does not provide parking for employees, parking can cost up to $400 per month Your $800 apartment may well cost over $1000 when you include parking.

Chicago has some of the busiest 6-10(?) lane expresswayinterstate type roads in America. There is nothing like it in MS, AL, LA, or FL, but there is in SoCal and Los Angeles. I cannot speak for NYC, DC, Boston or Houston.

Winters are bitter cold and often fueled by 'LAKE EFFECT' weather. If you receive WGN on your local cable do watch the 9pm weather for an idea of what you are moving to.

As far as housing, you might find a small condo not too far from the Loop that suits your needs that is close to public transportation. Unless you live in a suburb and are willing to be a hour from your job you probably won't find a quiet neighborhood - which is why i suggested a condo. You can rise above the street level noise to some degree. Maybe.

Good Luck! The members in this forum are very savvy about Chicago life and where to live.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:09 PM

51 posts, read 80,972 times
800 dollars for a 1brd in lincoln park? I bet its already gone. The closer to the lake you are the more expensive, close to the loop 800 will get you may be a small studio. But being close to the loop is pointless, nothing is open past 7pm down town almost all food places close other than tourist places. No one other than new comers and a high flyers move down town. Its full of life during the day and full of homeless at night.

You said safe and quite i would suggest, ravens wood, lincoln square(just moved from there its a great area, tons of places to eat plenty of public trans and easy to find parking, mexican grocery store The Market is their super cheap) north lakeview, roscoevillage(if you don't mind the gays ) Wicker park i guess (hipster/richester vill and super loud on weekend)
Take a look at a map find what you want. If you are thinking of driving to the loop every morning forget it, its a waste of time and money a 15-20 min commute on the L will become 45-1hr in car and that doesn't include parking hunting.

Honestly we need more info to let you know because as its been said there are tons of neighborhoods and for what Chicago offers its pretty cheap

Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,997,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanel4Chris519 View Post
Lol ok well my new job will be in the city. I've never been there so I'm not familiar with the area. But I have looked in Irving park so far at some places I found online.
One big issue is where in the city is your job located. If in the loop then there is plenty of public transit there and parking in the loop is expensive. If elsewhere(say ford plant on the far south side) living in Lincoln park would be a bad idea and in this case access to public transit would be a lot less important since you would likely be driving.

The advice someone would give would vary dramatically according to where you work and if you need a car for work.
In addition the city itself is about 8 miles wide and 22 miles long last thing you want to do is be on the wrong end of this area.

Last edited by chirack; 01-06-2011 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 28,685 times
Hi, I am moving out in the spring working out of elk grove area (travelling over most of the mid-west and east coast areas. Single chap mid 40's looking to slot in to a ready made community that will make it easy to get to meet people. Dont want it too quiet, but not mad busy/loud. Sports and activities of interest. Any sujjestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs