Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 04:12 PM

49 posts, read 147,013 times

Advertisements

What would you pick? We are not use to the difficult congestion of traffic that I am told is in Naperville when trying to get to/from train. We are trying to figure out is it better that we live near a metra, or find the right school for our kids (maybe Bethany Lutheran) and live near there. Are there nice houses near the metra in Naperville, or are those not as desireable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:36 PM

7 posts, read 14,891 times
There are some pretty nice houses by the metra but they're priced accordingly. You also have quite a few houses in that area that have been divided and turned into rentals.

Give careful consideration to your morning commute if you plan on taking the train. The wait for a metra parking spot is creeping up on 8 years now and the daily pay spots are usually full before 6:30am. Being close enough to walk to the station might go along way towards helping you keep your sanity.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:00 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,335,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekova View Post
Give careful consideration to your morning commute if you plan on taking the train. The wait for a metra parking spot is creeping up on 8 years now
What is the problem here? Can't Metra build a bigger lot?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 AM

49 posts, read 147,013 times
I do find it odd, that when trying to find a place to live so much has to revolve around the metra - why does Naperville only have 2 stations? Compared to smaller cities like Downers Grove (don't they have 2 stations also)?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:38 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsuz123 View Post
I do find it odd, that when trying to find a place to live so much has to revolve around the metra - why does Naperville only have 2 stations? Compared to smaller cities like Downers Grove (don't they have 2 stations also)?
Downers Grove has 3 - Belmont Rd, Main St. and Fairview Ave.

But going back to the original question: Only YOU can decide what's more important, living near the Metra station or living near a school. I know what I'd choose, but that might not be right for you.

BTW, the downtown Naperville Metra lots are tiny; its no wonder the daily spots fill up so fast.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Downers Grove has 3 - Belmont Rd, Main St. and Fairview Ave.

But going back to the original question: Only YOU can decide what's more important, living near the Metra station or living near a school. I know what I'd choose, but that might not be right for you.

BTW, the downtown Naperville Metra lots are tiny; its no wonder the daily spots fill up so fast.
I think it's crazy DG has three stations, I hate if I miss an express have have to take a milk train that stps at every stop. Whne you hit downers it feels like the back of the train is still at Belmont while the front moves to Main st lol at least it feels that way they are so close together..

One thing to consider if your sending your kids to private school is I dont believe they have busses. If you lived close your kids could walk where as if you dont live close your the bus every morning.

As for Metra, you dont necessarily have to be right near the train, there are commuter lots and pace busses. Dont get me wrong I agree its a hassle I'd rather drive up and park and walk to the train but there are othert options.

As for traffic traffic isn't terrible but it is congested in the morning and evening all through downtown Naperville, near Rt 59 and North AUrora by the train and also over by I88.

I always thought it would be nice to live over near Rt 59 nad North Aurora or Diehl but it litereally takes 30 plus minutes to get from Diehl to Rt59 during dinnertime rush hour. Currently I dont even work in the city but thought it woudl be a good place to live if potentially I change jobs and either need I88 or the tran to commute. I decided against it as even if I wans't working on a particular dya if I ever need to go anywhere or drive home around dinner time expect adding 30 minutes onto hwat would probably be a 5 minute errand or whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs