Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,299,027 times

Advertisements

I think you need to use a nationally normed test statistic to really get a grasp for how "good" a school is. Every state has different standards for what is considered meeting or exceeding. Some states have very low thresholds at the high school level and it only serves to make a bunch of mediocre schools appear to be a lot better than they actually are. If you use data from US News and World Report, you'll see many of those high schools that only had 70%'s on the PSAE's being ranked as Silver and better preparing their students for college than many of the Wisconsin schools who have 95+% meeting or exceeding rates yet don't even make Bronze on the US News report. It's important to compare apples to apples and not get too hung up about the PSAE's. A "10" school in Illinois is not the same as a "10" school in Wisconsin.

It would also be helpful if there was a site that listed the SAT and ACT scores per school and who takes the tests as well... all kids or just ones planning to go to college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 AM

49 posts, read 146,536 times
I think one thing is for certain... I wish that all states had the same testing across the board. It would make moving from one state to the next so much easier. I could care less if the high school ACT scores were off by a few points, because I do believe that parenting, teachers, kids, and so much more feed into how well your child will do. But it is the drop in the standarized test from elementary/middle to high school that had me stumped. If those level tests were the same from state to state (maybe IL tests are really hard), it would take the guess work out.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,299,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsuz123 View Post
I think one thing is for certain... I wish that all states had the same testing across the board. It would make moving from one state to the next so much easier. I could care less if the high school ACT scores were off by a few points, because I do believe that parenting, teachers, kids, and so much more feed into how well your child will do. But it is the drop in the standarized test from elementary/middle to high school that had me stumped. If those level tests were the same from state to state (maybe IL tests are really hard), it would take the guess work out.
That would be nice, wouldn't it? In Illinois, we use the ISAT's in the lower grades but the PSAE's in high school. The state average % of students passing the PSAE is ~ 50% for the state in reading, science, and math. Wisconsin uses their own standardized test, the WKCE-CRT and their threshold/criteria for "passing" is far more lenient as evidenced by the 70+% of the students statewide who are at or above proficient.

A school with a 76% passing rate in reading in Wisconsin is smack-dab average since 76% of ALL students statewide pass. A school with a 76% passing rate in reading in Illinois is FAR above average since the average passing rate is 54%.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:28 PM

Agree! As if it is not hard enough to move. With all these stupid test scores out there and no way to compare it is enough to go batty! I was warned once not to look too closely at some of the newsweek, etc articles, as some schools get downgraded or left out if they aren't diverse enough, or offer a set amount of AP courses, and whole hoast of other things. Just gotta talk to parents who have their kids in the schools, talk to the schools, etc. It does help though to look at the top say 25% or so in test score range for that state and go from there. ACT comparison isn't even safe as you mentioned some schools make all kids take it, and some don't.
It stinks that even choosing a school is "political".

Old 01-10-2011, 07:55 PM

374 posts, read 1,031,850 times
I think the most important score is located at the very bottom of IL school report cards - percentage of students who exceed standards. Meeting standards is fairly basic but necessary; the percentage who exceed standards will explain the flavor of the school. At a minimum, I would look for the exceeding standards scores to be 40% or more.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM

5,749 posts, read 10,336,291 times
Interesting topic... When researching schools, I looked at test scores, student-teacher ratios, teacher credentials, curriculum/textbooks (sometimes published online), AP courses, and education-level of the community. I have always toured the school/met the principal before enrolling my kids and asked lots of questions.

I agree with previous posters that there may be lower testing standards at the elementary schools. There is great test emphasis on the 2 core subjects of Math and Reading Comprehension. Perhaps there is too little preparation in other areas such as Science, Writing, Vocab, Analogies, etc. which may lead to lower results in nationally-normed high school tests?

I have been on both sides of the fence.... I attended a poorer-performing high school, but my parents were involved teachers and I was in the magnet/AP programs. Although overall test results were poor with very low college attendance, the kids in my AP track did quite well academically and on tests, enjoyed their high school experience, and attended good colleges.

Now my kids are in the advanced-track of a very competive high school. The level of competitiveness and student stress is high and IMO often unhealthy as every student is vying for the top spot in the AP class. This level of competitiveness can sometimes lead to some nasty behaviors (from both students and parents). But the school's overall test results and college placements are very high.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM

To GoCUBS1
I do agree with you. Interesting perspective on the school situation you and were kids were/are in. Good to know. I am calling schools regardiing curriculum. There is a certain math curriculum used that my husband (big math guy) can't stand. So, we are trying to avoid that. Lots to choose out there, looking at test scores for me is not the means to an end, but to a beginning. I need some way to try and hone in on some districts/schools. Someone on here mentioned Wheeler and gave numbers, etc. Don't know why, but I never realized how HUGE the districts down there are!
When it comes down to it, you really can't compare any scores it seems. Too many variables going on. Frustrating, sure doesn't make moving any easier!

Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,200,734 times
It's Wheeling HS. If you want a simple answer based on just test scores, go New Trier, Glenbrooks, Stevenson or Deerfield. If you have time to dig deeper, check out elementary districts 25, 23 and 57 along with HS District 214. Or check out Barrington, Libertyville, Vernon Hills or Lake Zurich. There are more, I'm sticking with north and NW suburbs.

What makes Lisle an undesirable high school in your opinion?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:45 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,336,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsuz123 View Post
I am calling schools regardiing curriculum. There is a certain math curriculum used that my husband (big math guy) can't stand. So, we are trying to avoid that.!
Let me guess.... Could it be the Chicago Everyday Math program? Of course, many Chicagoland school districts have bought into this program.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Yep, we can't stand Everyday Math. I was afraid to be the first to bring it up, that thread could go on forever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs