Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 36,014 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me who has their kids in Lester School in Downers Grove? I don't know anything about it. I know St. Mary's of Gostyn is a great school, but the tuition is so steep. Everyone in my extended and immediate family has always gone to private school. Is Lester a good school by comparison? Any parents out there who are happy with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:56 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default I'm still friendly from some of the staff...

There are teachers that have been at St Marus for around 30 years. It is a very different experience than even the best public school -- the discipline is a lot more "family based" and that makes it very hard to compare.

If you afford the tuition (which I believe is pretty much the same as other parishes, and they do have a variety of fund raising events and scholarships) and are seeking the kind of experience that comes from having kids and their families together for 8+ years you can't compare that to a public school.

The experience any child has a public school is shaped by the whole environment, and over all Lester has a very mix of kids from fairly well off parts of Downers Grove as well as some areas with more modest homes and rentals. Disrtrict 58 is at least as responsive as other nearby districts and kids that do well can expect to be in good position to do well in middle school.

In some ways I think the biggest factor comes from your close neighbors -- if most of them are sending cods to Lester that makes it easier to have friends to hang out with, if St. Mary's is big on your block / neighborhood maybe that would be enough to tip the balance. 50/50? The maybe go along with the parents whose valise are most compatible with your own.

Both St Mary's and St. Joseph's are somewhat unique in that the demographics of their schools are probably most similar to that of the surrounding public schools -- in other towns you get kids that. Ifht be trying to "avoid" problem areas and Downers really is among the most uniformly "nice but not crazy expensive" towns in DuPage, maybe even the whole region. The handful of really pricey homes (like in Denburn Woods) are vastly outnumbered by ordinary homes...

If you really want some eye popping tuition check out Avery Coonley. Though in all honesty, as far as the core academic content, there is not a huge difference between any public school in Downers and any private school. Extras? Oh yes -- friends in high places, field trips to places that some college kids don't get to, a beautiful campus, but except for maybe some more hands on science (due to smaller classes) and more elaborate math (with lots of competition) the kids are not years ahead...

Last edited by chet everett; 01-08-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs